CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Improved Method for Examining Building Damage   Next in Forum: Land Surveyor Engineer in UK
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Active Contributor

How to Effectively Use Modern Technology to Reduce the Effort of Counting Lights

11/03/2016 6:33 PM

Hello Friends & Members here ,
I am a project engineer and currently working for an engineering consultancy . I come across many projects and need to undertake site visits to count the number of installed lights.
The current way of doing this is that we physically go on the site , have a site plan and count the lights manually.
Now we are in the process of an engineering solution to this problem of ours which actually does take a lot of time and effort in doing so.

Solution 1 :- Use a GO-PRO kind of an instrument to record and save the whole exercise on site. However, it needs a stabiliser and takes away a good amount of space (bytes) every time.

Solution 2 :- Use a 360-degree camera , but again we deal with car park lighting upgrades and can't capture everything

So , I am in a situation where I need your help in developing a solution with which we can think smartly and do the whole job effectively without so much of effort and time spent.
Looking forward to solutions.
Thanks

Register to Reply
This discussion was "closed" on 11/04/2016 9:01 AM. No new comments are allowed.
Message from admins:
This is a duplicate thread. Please see original: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/109439
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753

Re: How to effectively use modern technology to reduce the effort of counting lights

11/03/2016 7:00 PM

See other copy of thread.

Good Answers: 1599

Re: How to effectively use modern technology to reduce the effort of counting lights

11/03/2016 7:24 PM

How much would your for-profit company be willing to pay for this cost reduction benefit?

Have you considered hiring a consultant?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 73

11/03/2016 8:20 PM

Ifa 360 camera won't capture everything and you are dealing with a new environment each time.. I don't see how a human light counter could be improved upon.

A drone won't cut it.

A camera? no

A site plan doesn't seem to help

I can't see the problem well enough to offer a solution better than a pen and paper.

What are you looking for again?

In reply to #3

11/03/2016 8:41 PM

How can I as a project engineer be creative to count the lights in a professional manner . I agree it's a very silly question , but I believe there could be some solution to this.
The site could be a car park with several areas and different fittings , basically trying to understand how could I reduce the human observational 'error'?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

11/03/2016 9:04 PM

If counting the number of lights is the objective of the project, it is a complete waste of time!

Do you know:

1. how long the light is illuminated?

2. the efficiency/power consumption, when illuminated?

3. Age of the light?

4. replacement cycle?

5. efficiency of wiring?

and the list just goes on and on.

I do not.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #6

11/03/2016 9:07 PM

Counting lights sounds like fun. Being paid for this and charging rates that includes going to the site sounds like fun. Knowing how many lights there is is fun, not knowing if they are all in working conditions sounds like working in the night - fun.

I'd do the following:
1. Enjoy being paid for counting lights until you had enough of it.
2. Study the site plans, they usually should have a plan where all lights are drawn it. Somebody should have made a study on where to put them and if it was not you then the one who did has come up with a number of lights needed on the site.

3. When counting use a site plan and mark off all lamps counted already. This reduces the error of double counting the same lamp.

4. Enjoy searching for a different solution but do not expect it to be much better than what you do right now.

11/03/2016 8:24 PM

This is folly.

You want a free solution to a problem that does not exist anywhere except in your mind.

The number of lights is a very small part of the power saving certification process.

Bribe the auditor.

Turn out the lights, the party's over!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #4

11/03/2016 8:38 PM

Auditors pretty tough here mate , down under !!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1140

11/03/2016 9:49 PM

Just look at the electric bill...or if it's part of a system that includes things other than lights then check just the lighting circuit for amp draw, then an individual light...If you know how many lights are on a circuit, all you need to do is count breakers.....Somebody mentioned this already, but at some point in time plans had to be drawn for the light install...maybe a combination of methods will reveal the most efficient way...Somebody must service the lights, they probably know how many are there...Google Earth may be useful if the lights have been in place for some time....

This discussion was "closed" on 11/04/2016 9:01 AM. No new comments are allowed.
Message from admins:
This is a duplicate thread. Please see original: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/109439
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

IdeaSmith (1); JE in Chicago (1); lyn (3); sibin15 (2); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Improved Method for Examining Building Damage   Next in Forum: Land Surveyor Engineer in UK

Advertisement