Previous in Forum: Solar Oven   Next in Forum: A Simple Evaluation
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Participant

Cookware for Induction Top

11/03/2016 11:51 PM

I have NON MAGNETIC cookware (magnet wont attract) however i can cook perfectly well in it. I m confused. Please en-light me.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 89

Re: cookware for induction top

11/04/2016 12:22 AM

Magnetic or non-magnetic properties of the cook ware have nothing to do with inductive heating!

Wiki explains it

Good Answers: 128
In reply to #1

11/04/2016 10:58 AM

Magnetics of ferromagnetic materials only adds the hysteresis energy loss (as heat) to the eddy current loss (as heat). Non-ferrous metals stiff exhibit eddy current heating.

Good Answers: 1010

11/04/2016 1:03 AM

It depends on what type of induction cooking technology you are using....Generally speaking the cookware would need to be ferrous in nature, but there are exceptions, some induction stoves have ferrous metal plates for burner surfaces...then there are some types that are considered all-metal that use a different design...Some aluminum and copper pans will work, just not as well or as efficiently, on some induction surfaces....

..."To get the same surface resistance as with carbon steel would require the metal to be thinner than is practical for a cooking vessel; at 24 kHz a copper vessel bottom would need to be 1/56th the skin depth of carbon steel. Since the skin depth is inversely proportional to the square root of the frequency, this suggests that much higher frequencies (say, several megahertz) would be required to obtain equivalent heating in a copper pot as in an iron pot at 24 kHz. Such high frequencies are not feasible with inexpensive power semiconductors; in 1973 the silicon-controlled rectifiers used were limited to no more than 40 kHz.[21] Even a thin layer of copper on the bottom of a steel cooking vessel will shield the steel from the magnetic field and make it unusable for an induction top.[21] Some additional heat is created by hysteresis losses in the pot due to its ferromagnetic nature, but this creates less than ten percent of the total heat generated.[22]

"All-metal" models[edit]

New types of power semiconductors and low-loss coil designs have made an all-metal cooker possible, but the electronic components are relatively bulky.

Panasonic Corporation in 2009 developed a consumer induction cooker that uses a higher-frequency magnetic field, and a different oscillator circuit design, to allow use with non-ferrous metals.[23][24] "...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 737

11/04/2016 1:51 AM

CorningWare probably won't work too well.

Good Answers: 1010
In reply to #3

11/04/2016 10:57 AM

Re: Cookware for Induction Top

11/04/2016 1:26 PM

Thanks for the response from the forum,

What I understand and correct me if i am wrong.

Ferrous material is required for induction cooking non ferrous is out.

Since all types of steels are ferrous materiel; Magnetic or non magnetic, but that dose not matter.

Am i right?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 128
In reply to #6

11/04/2016 3:14 PM

No, you are incorrect. All metals will exhibit eddy current heating in an oscillating magnetic field.

Good Answers: 157
In reply to #6

11/05/2016 1:55 AM

I have been using induction cooking for quite a few years now (and love it!). All three of the induction cooktops I've used would indicate, one way or another, whether the cooking utensil was appropriate. My current cooktop indicates "F" (for "Fail") if the cooking utensil is non-magnetic (or too small). Generally speaking, if a magnet will stick to the pan, and it covers a large fraction of the induction coil area, it will work; if not, it won't. There are many stainless steels that are not magnetic, and they will NOT work on my unit, so "ferrous" does NOT mean it will work. "Ferromagnetic" is the magic term!

On the other hand, "they" have been working on newer technologies for other materials, so there may well be newer Induction Cookers that can use utensils of other materials, but I haven't yet seen/tried any.

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 22

11/05/2016 9:09 AM

Induction cooking is done using High Frequency oscillations similar to high frequency heating used in annealing copper wires!

Although all metallic cookwares can conduct magnetic fields, Not all can be used effectively! Having said that,

Cooking efficiency can only be achieved if the onhand cookware material matches the circuit impedance of the electronic circuitry of the oven as designed! A requirement for maximum power transfer!

Which means you need to find or get the proper cookware for that cooktop oven!

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #9

11/07/2016 9:47 AM

"Apologies", but, I am compelled to disagree here...

Regarding your statement: "Although all metallic cookwares can conduct magnetic fields..."

... this sort of statement will be very misleading to many who read it, and assume it to be 'gospel' (because it is posted here).

Copper is "metallic", yet, it is also diamagnetic (meaning it is ever-so-slightly 'repelled' by a magnetic field)... which is a "good thing" ... helping to afford high efficiency to copper windings in a transformer to share "all" of their magnetic flux {a negligible amount exists within the copper itself}.

Copper might work as induction cookware because it conducts electrical currents (eddy currents) very well ... though I doubt that it would work well, exhibiting so little resistance (I haven't researched induction cookers myself).

Any intelligence out there, feel free to help out....

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #10

11/07/2016 11:04 AM

There should be No problem understanding the sentence if it was read completely!

As you yourself said "I doubt that it would work well, ".

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #12

11/07/2016 1:23 PM

"OT'ing this myself, as #12 ought to have been.

Q: Just WHICH of the *5* exclamations in Post #12 are you suggesting that I did not "read completely"...? (5 sentences, 5 exclamation marks)

I quoted the one to which I was responding, and: nothing has changed.

My response ("apologetically", of sorts) "stands" ... (post #12 is bupkis).

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 157
In reply to #9

11/07/2016 10:07 AM

"Cooktop" and "Oven" are quite separate devices. I currently own and happily use two induction cooktops (a portable and a built-in). I have yet to see or hear of an induction oven for home or other cooking use, and have difficulty conceiving of one, since the current induction process heats only metals.

I guess you could call a microwave oven an "induction oven", although it uses frequencies roughly 5 orders of magnitude higher (4.25GHz) than the frequencies of those induction cooktops (10-50kHz) I've tested.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (2); IdeaSmith (1); James Stewart (2); ndt-tom (2); SanjayToro (1); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (1); vsar (2)

Previous in Forum: Solar Oven   Next in Forum: A Simple Evaluation

Advertisement