CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Spot Radiograpy Examination   Next in Forum: What Is It? ..That's Going to Happen to this Company?
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 70

Recycling - To Crush or Not to Crush?

11/04/2016 4:02 PM

Not every municipality has a recycling program, but these days it's almost considered unusual if there is no form of recycling available.

There was a post a long time ago about removing labels on recycled items.

It's had me wondering about the way I toss the recycling.

If I crush and twist the air out of a plastic bottle should I remove the label first?

Should things be crushed at all?

glass stays in tact of course. Rinse?

If things weren't crushed and broken down the bin would overfill.

What creates the least amount of work at the recycling facility?

What do you do?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1573

Re: Recycling - To Crush or Not to Crush?

11/04/2016 4:08 PM

We just put loose non-food items in the blue barrel, loose grass clippings and other green stuff in the green barrel and traditional bagged garbage in the black barrel.

Chicago says to do this:

2016 Chicago Recycling Rules: UPDATED JANUARY 2016 | Moss ...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

11/04/2016 4:47 PM

Thanks for the update (jan 2016)

I was surprised the updates says to put the cap back on plastic bottle and toss them.

There are often bits inside most caps that are not the same material.

If I crush a bottle by twisting it and replace the cap (which I have done) the volume is greatly reduced, but the label is captive.

I compost the clippings in a turned pile with leaves and dirt.

My fruit and veg scraps go to the worm box. (lots of leaves, cardboard and paper too)

Good Answers: 1573
In reply to #4

11/04/2016 7:24 PM

Fishing worms?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

11/05/2016 7:48 PM

These are small red wigglers.. They are really too small for fishing, but they multiply and consume a great deal. They also thrive in a compost environment..

I built a box that's off the ground and the new dirt just falls out of the bottom when done. It's incredibly rich with nutrients and goes straight to the garden.

I've tossed a few of the gardens bigger worms in the box just to keeps an eye on things. If I need fishing worms I can reach down and get one from just about any hand full of dirt. Worms from the ground that come up get snapped up by the birds or become turtle food.

Last month I did a little fishing in Lake Michigan, but I was out of state. I didn't catch a thing, but I was in a canoe with beer while a couple of chickens roasted over a big fire at shore.. win win

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 11

11/04/2016 4:21 PM

And are we supposed to empty K-cups or toss them in with the regular plastic recycling?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

11/05/2016 7:53 PM

K-cups! I don't know what anybody would need with a sample portion of coffee

How can you beat a coffee maker that has a gauge like a fuel tank?

Good Answers: 1104

11/04/2016 4:33 PM

Every recycling facility has their own methods and therefore their own recommendations as to any preparation, along with what materials they accept....

http://www.brevardcounty.us/SolidWaste/RecyclingHome

Good Answers: 2

11/05/2016 9:59 PM

IMHO: The recycle processors need to come up with methods to sort whatever we throw at them. My (poorish) town is considering giving up the recycle setup because it costs much more to recycle than to throw it. Or they may contract with trucking outfit to take it elsewhere which might cost less but not by much. Not a very motivating solution for persons willing to recycle but less than willing (me, and I assume others) to sort stuff into many complex categories, crush it and/or preform other ordering directives, then throw away the rest at another remote location.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

11/06/2016 9:21 AM

The cost of recycling!? Years ago we put our recyclables into blue bags and tossed it in with the rest. That seemed easy enough. Especially since in the suburbs they were separating plastic, glass, paper and so on.

I would scratch my head seeing MASSIVE recycling trucks with lots of different bins. and some guy pulling 40K+ tiptoeing around the truck with little baskets full of sorted cans dutifully and slowly taking it all away.

What an inefficient process!

Now that everything is tossed unceremoniously into one large bin I would expect things to be more cost effective, but as with most government contracts they can only figure out how to make it cost more each year regardless of how efficient the process becomes.

Somebody is buying those raw materials from the recycling facility. I'm rather certain they don't donate it out of the goodness of their heart.

The cost of the sale of recycled goods should cover any additional cost of the pick up and sorting (over regular trash removal) ...AND then some!

Why doesn't it? because they can charge whatever they like and get away with it.

..so it seems... What's it like outside of the USA?

(after 5 years the average NYC collector pulls in nearly 90K! a little longer and 100+)

figure that out

ranty

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 176

11/06/2016 2:25 PM

I worked in the cement industry for years, oil, gas or coal were the main fuel sources.

Nowadays the range of carp fed in to the kiln as fuel is staggering, just about anything that will burn gets slung in some of the highly toxic.

In reply to #10

11/06/2016 9:34 PM

I hope they scrub the kiln exhaust exhaustingly!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (1); JE in Chicago (5); lyn (2); SolarEagle (1); TonyS (1); westbye (1)

Previous in Forum: Spot Radiograpy Examination   Next in Forum: What Is It? ..That's Going to Happen to this Company?

Advertisement