CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Actuator Piston Thickness Calculation   Next in Forum: Where Can I Get a 6061-T6 Shaft Frequency and Torque Tested?
Close
Close
Close
26 comments
Participant

Lifting and Rotating Mechanism

11/04/2016 5:30 PM

we are designing a mechanism to lift the head of a Professional vacuum cleaner up about 3-6 cm straight (perfectly vertical ). The head of the vac cleaner contains the motor and it's weight is 12-16 which makes it difficult for the user to lift the head up manually. But the problem we need to combine lifting motion with rotation motion as it should rotates after lifting.

in the link below you can check what I'm talking about and as you can see in the video it does not go up vertically. So do you guys have any suggestion to reach this movement without losing the durability ?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm5SO6gbCCA

I also included an image of the movement that we need to obtain

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Lifting mechanism
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 58 Year Member

Good Answers: 260

Re: Lifting and Rotating Mechanism

11/04/2016 5:40 PM

Perhaps the motor head mounted to a rack gear, and an actuating lever with a pinion gear. You're only talking about a couple if inches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_and_pinion

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 737

11/04/2016 5:57 PM

Extend small cleats to the right of the upper right sloped section. To the lifting handle, extend inward from each side round bars that engage the cleats once the vertical part of the lift is enough.

In reply to #2

11/05/2016 5:57 AM

Hey,

thanks for your answer but could you please explain what do you mean by small cleats ? or if you could draw your solution that would be really really great.

also the video does not show the exact movement that we want as we could not find the right position for the pivot point.

So the movement we want is to lift 3-6 cm up (vertically and without any tilting to the sides) and then rotating.

between the head and container there is seal and inside head there is another part attached to it which has 30cm hieght so thats the reason we need to rotate the head to take it out of the continer. I attached an image showing the inside of the tank there is a floater attached to the head with screws.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1010
In reply to #7

11/05/2016 11:39 AM

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

11/05/2016 12:15 PM

Sorry, I don't know how to make any simpler than that.

Good Answers: 60

11/04/2016 6:03 PM

torsion springs to mind

the lift could be aided by a small linear spring.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 312

11/04/2016 7:51 PM

Does the canister also pivot by the canister head to the left of the fulcrum on the lever arm. You may need another linkage, the video link is that the motion, if not could you post you intention?

11/04/2016 8:09 PM

11/04/2016 10:38 PM

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 92

11/05/2016 10:39 PM

I used to have a pdf of an early 1900's book that described over a 1000 mechanisms that covered just about ever motion or combination of motions one might ever need. i used it to quickly come up with stuff I needed to design for aircraft installation purposes without going through a lot of trial and error.

I couldn't find that book online but I found THIS. <-- click it

There's bound to be something in there that will work for you. And there's plenty more websites that describe mechanisms. I would guess that 99.99% of common mechanical devices have already been invented. Do yourself a favor and shortcut your efforts.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #10

11/06/2016 8:43 AM

I have a more recent book of mechanisms, I purchased about 25 years ago. It's at work, and use it for problems to solve

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

In reply to #14

11/06/2016 10:07 AM

I was taught early on not to waste time reinventing the wheel if it wasn't really necessary. These references are invaluable for timely results, IMO.

Just like my 50 year old Machinery Handbook.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

11/07/2016 11:09 AM

The book I have is the second edition of Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook (McGraw-Hill)

But I see similar ones PDF's on google (same authors) Sections are slightly different, but its hard to believed that it's public domain info.

Here's the table of contents.

In reply to #18

11/07/2016 12:18 PM

Yeah, there's a bunch of free download sites for the newer devices books. They appear to be updated for modern electrical and servo-mechanisms over the ancient book I had which was purely mechanical. I guess most of the new ones never had their copyrights renewed.

BTW, there's a detailed 8 bar mechanism on the web page I provided in my other message that details a device to lift and subsequently rotate exactly as the OP asked about. It could easily be enhanced with a spring assist.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

11/07/2016 12:26 PM

yes, I looked them over, in the 4th edition, they have 3D printing in them. I have 2nd edition.

Just 2 weeks, ago, I was looking for a governor type clutch system to operate a valve.... Found it in the book.

Good Answers: 3

11/05/2016 11:45 PM

At first glance, if it were me, limited to a single pivot, I would use a rotary actuator. In lieu of that a powered slide. Weight does not appear to be an issue.

Given a better print than a concept dwg, I might be able to sketch you up a simple solution. We are not re-inventing the wheel, just tweaking it a little. On the face of things, there are two pictures, one a concept dwg, and a photo of the end product, and they are at odds with each other. It appears that the OEM is Hyundai. Is this for production, or a one off prototype?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 171

11/06/2016 1:12 AM

Perhaps something like the image below.

The bracket is fixed to the removable lid with the roller attached to the body. The shape of the bracket prevents the lid from tilting until it has reached a pre-determined height set by the position of the curved section of the bracket. Once it has reached this height, the lid can then tilt backwards.

An alternative to that shown may be a pair of rollers either side of a slotted bracket.

The Teflon runner provides lower friction upon lifting.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

11/06/2016 1:37 AM

Are you kidding? Where does anything engage with anything else in this picture?

Good Answers: 20

11/06/2016 11:21 AM

When I read the OP question, this is the part that has me stumped :

1. The weight is listed as 12-16, is this lbs. or kilograms ? ( The weight of the vacuum head )

2. What will be the weight of the canister that holds the debris that is vacuumed up ?

The statement reads, " Which makes it difficult for the user to lift up manually ".

1. By using a manual lever or rack or spring assist system that is not operated by an electromotive force, isin't the user lifting the head manually ?

2. If the user can't lift the vacuum head manually, then how would it be possible for the user to lift the debris canister manually to facilitate disposal of the contents ?

I know this may be stating the obvious.

Wouldn't it be easier to design a vacuum where the vacuum head/motor would remain stationary, and the canister would be lifted up and over the head unit ?

Then again, if the user can't lift the head unit, then how could they lift the debris canister.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 60
In reply to #16

11/07/2016 11:01 AM

it seems they added a bunch of pivot points to give a mechanical advantage, but unfortunately they are all in the wrong place and of the wrong length. If they were located correctly it would lift and rotate without additional parts.

...maybe check that?

In reply to #16

11/07/2016 9:19 PM

Me thinks maybe a junior Engineer or novice thought up this idea without any concept of where they wanted to go. Just a thought.......

Its just a vacuum cleaner.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Active Contributor

11/07/2016 6:08 PM

Add a second lever arm parallel to the first. Add pivots to the same structures as first lever arm, leave enough gap between levers to allow the desired lift when rotated. This second lever will force the load to move parallel to the vertical support if pivot points are the same distance on each lever arm.

Register to Reply
Guru

11/07/2016 8:58 PM

You could just have a hydraulic or motorized arm built in to lift and rotate the top with a push of the button....

11/07/2016 9:15 PM

Based on function description, I think the designer needs to step back and take a second look. You can do it, most certainly, but why? If you lift it like SolarEagle suggests, you can manipulate it any direction you want, and not limit yourself to such a small movement, use a swivel hook to lift, and you got it all.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

11/08/2016 6:03 AM

Lifting Mechanism is any mechanism designed to move to perform tasks and/or lift objects.

there are three basic types of Lifting Mechanisms Rotating Joints,Elevators,and Linkages.

02/11/2017 2:08 PM

I have a similar question.

What is the lift and rotate mechanism of a rack baking ( bakery) ovens??

I need to know because this mechanism is missing in a rack baking oven i am purchasing.

thanks for yr assistance .

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 26 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

curious123 (3); Doorman (1); Hooker (3); JE in Chicago (2); Maryam_Sh (1); mazhur (1); pcbdesigner (1); phoenix911 (4); rshirsagar5 (1); SolarEagle (4); spades (1); tonyhemet (1); Tornado (3)

Previous in Forum: Actuator Piston Thickness Calculation   Next in Forum: Where Can I Get a 6061-T6 Shaft Frequency and Torque Tested?

Advertisement