CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: W 10 Loves You in a New and Different Way   Next in Forum: Computer Problem
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 576

V-Chip to Block Ads

11/07/2016 3:59 PM

Is it possible to program a V-Chip to block obnoxious political ads?

(I realize it's too late this year, thank goodness, but we've been pounded for months!)

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1587

Re: V-Chip

11/07/2016 4:08 PM

How about a chip to block obnoxious politicans.

Register to Reply
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

11/07/2016 4:35 PM

Please invent one. I will gladly buy one. Last night my husband said he misses the incredibly annoying ads from a local car dealer (who owns about a bazillion dealerships). I know it's bad when Mr. Best in Show starts missing this guy.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235

11/07/2016 6:36 PM

I have made ample use of the OFF button on my TV's. I have chosen to become a broadcast hermit. I get all I need to know right here on CR4. Sometimes too much . . . .

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

Re: V-Chip to Block Ads

11/07/2016 7:56 PM

You would first have to get the ads rated, which would require a legal decree...Maybe a new rating could be created, PA for political ad, we wouldn't want anything else to be blocked that might be of interest....certainly possible....it would be an interesting battle....

..."The programs' signals are encoded according to their rating, on line 21 of the broadcast signal's vertical blanking interval using the XDS protocol, and this is detected by the television set's V-chip. If the program rating is outside the level configured as acceptable on that particular television the program is blocked. The V-chip does not block infomercial, news or sportscasts as this sort of programming does not have ratings."...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-chip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_content_rating_systems#United_States

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #4

11/09/2016 3:18 PM

And since the National Do Not Call Registry specifically exempts political fundraising/surveys/GetOutTheVote calls from being blocked, you can bet your sweet bippy the politicians will make sure their paid political ads are protected from blocking. I would not be surprised if they get coded as 'do not fast forward, do not skip ahead' when recorded on a DVR.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350
In reply to #12

11/09/2016 4:18 PM

I would not be surprised if they get coded as 'do not fast forward, do not skip ahead' when recorded on a DVR.

It's a slippery slope. Try buying physical movie and TV program DVDs, these now have large sections of ads and unskippable sections of copyright and other notices that show up every time you play it (some distributors are worse than others).

Before obtaining pirated movies and programs was because it was cheap, it makes me want to go and get them rather than sitting through the ad and message crap. So bad in fact are some that for pure convinence alone I have purchased the DVDs legally but now watch a pirated ad-free version.

I am sure I am not the only law-abiding citizen who has done this because they are sick of all the extra garbage packaged into the product we paid a premium for because that is what we wanted - an ad-free, trailer-free, marketing-free version.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #14

11/10/2016 8:37 AM

"It's a slippery slope. Try buying physical movie and TV program DVDs, these now have large sections of ads and unskippable sections of copyright and other notices that show up every time you play it (some distributors are worse than others)."

Although it's actually a bit better than in the VCR days, the FBI Warning slate is up for less time on DVD than on VHS. They were running the warning slate so it would be up for a set minimum time at the maximum forward play speed that consumer VCR's could do. That not only ate up extra time for people who didn't have the fastsest VCR units, or who were judicious with the fast-play button so they didn't but additional stress/wear on the tape; AND it ate up precious inches of cassette capacity. Now it's up for that set minimum time, no ship, no fast-play, and everyone has it for the proscribed time, no more no less; It also takes up less space on the disk, it's a static raster image, with metadata instructions(1). The unskipable commercials and 'upcoming features' are annoying, but we can control that, through 'ratings protest' like we did with the videogame Spore(2).

The metadata controls can be but to some entertaining features, such as making a 'laserdisk' game you can play on your DVD player(3) or adding a touch of fourth wall horror to a spooky movie(4).

Notes:

1. The medata is pretty simple as well, probably takes up less space than the single image frame.
    1. [ Set NOSKIP, Set NOSHUTTLE ]
    2. [ Dissolve from BLACK to SLATE ]
    3. [ Wait {x} seconds ]
    4. [ Dissolve from SLATE to BLACK ]
    5. [ Clear NOSKIP, Clear NOSHUTTLE ]
  2. That game was being flooded with 1-star reviews on Amazon (since that was the lowest possible score allowed) before it even came out, and all the comments left were complaints about the DRM scheme planned for the game.
  3. Laserdisk games were already set up for DVD players, in a way. The games all used metadata to respond to the operator input, choose the next scene, and keep track of the few variables needed.
  4. If you put in The Ring DVD and select 'watch the tape' on the special features menu, it shows you the full video of the 'cursed tape,' [NOSKIP, NOSHUTTLE, NOPAUSE, NOSTOP, NOEJECT]. Then it dumps you to the DVD menu, waits a few seconds, and plays a 'ringing phone' audio sample. It's not quite the 'pulling a twitching fly from the paused video into the real world' or 'panning the image and seeing more of the scene than the camera should have captured' level of creepy, but if you've got a friend who's a bit of a 'screamer' when it comes to haunted houses, it's entertaining to show them that special feature. At night. With the lights off. Just expect that you'll be the one having to clean up the spilled popcorn after that.
( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

11/07/2016 10:22 PM

I just change the channel or pre-record the programs and skip through the bits I don't want to watch (like the ads).

Good Answers: 7

11/08/2016 4:29 AM

I solved this problem by not turning on the television.

Good Answers: 23

11/08/2016 7:53 AM

When too much political mumbo-jumbo shows up on the boob-tube, I just switch on vcr-dvd chip.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 9

11/08/2016 9:18 AM

If someone invented it some politician would pass a law banning it's use.

In reply to #8

11/08/2016 10:09 AM

Ain't that the truth.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

11/08/2016 10:44 AM

The key word in "paid advertisement" is "paid". Companies are currently run for profit and trying to block income is usually only possible if the content is adult or very violent in nature.

Check back tomorrow after the election is over. We could be outlawing profits soon and that will change everything.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

11/08/2016 9:17 PM

I only listen to or watch public broadcasts and check out my movies and music from the library. If it's really important I'll read about it in the morning paper.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

11/09/2016 3:27 PM

I screen all my calls with what's now an old fashioned answering machine. Caller ID cost money on land lines. In fact I got rid of all the extra features to cut costs. Don't miss them a bit.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

11/09/2016 4:34 PM

Our "landline" is Magic Jack" (it's cheap and reliable) and since we all have cell phones we never answer it.

All my "ologists" and other important contacts have my cell number.

The wife screens the calls on the home phone.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #15

11/09/2016 5:25 PM

Same here. $200 up front for the Magic Jack and a 5 year contract. In less than 6 months I had paid that back in savings and nearly 4 years later still saving $$$. On top of this I can unplug the Magic Jack and take it anywhere I travel, plug it into my laptop and have my landline right there with me.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (2); Anonymous Poster (1); BestInShow (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); Charlie Greenwood (2); d_m_rosenberg (1); jack of all trades (2); lyn (3); SolarEagle (1); tonyhemet (1); wmerryall (2)

Previous in Forum: W 10 Loves You in a New and Different Way   Next in Forum: Computer Problem

Advertisement