CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Land Surveyor Engineer in UK   Next in Forum: Rare Book: "Air-Supported Structures" by Bailly et al.
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Participant

Steel Building for Office Space

11/14/2016 6:04 AM

Hi,

I'm planning to construct a steel building for my office space. I think it does have the benefits. Will 20' x 24' size be enough. Have to get a rough sketch of the building. Can someone help me in this? Recently, I saw some pics of steel building. I'm looking forward for some models out there for the construction. Need your expert advice.

I am planning to start the work in the month of January. As I am in a financial crisis, I need to plan it out for a cost efficient building too. Does anyone know how much it cost(approx.)?

Thanks in advance

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 604

Re: Need suggestions

11/14/2016 6:29 AM

Keep in mind that cell phone reception will be poor inside the building. You might need a cell phone repeater to feed the signals from outside to the inside of the bldg.

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #1

11/15/2016 10:12 AM

He's talking about a 20'x24', that's not going to interfere with cellphone reception very much. Especially if he has windows.

Good Answers: 89

11/14/2016 7:45 AM

How about a sea container?

Good Answers: 501

11/14/2016 8:04 AM

Only you could know how much room you need.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

11/14/2016 8:31 AM

No one can plan your building but you.

First thing you need to do is go to the building permitting authority and get the code requirements for your area.

Electricity?

Heat/cool?

We can't design it for you. Get help from the company who will sell it to you.

Read books, talk to locals with steel buildings.

Make it too big for your current needs, for sure!

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN PLANNING YOUR STEEL BUILDING

Planning For Commercial, Agricultural, or Industrial Steel Buildings

Planning Your New Steel Building - Topline Steel Buildings

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1008

11/14/2016 9:59 AM

Good Answers: 126
In reply to #5

11/14/2016 10:11 AM

You might want to avoid buying used FEMA trailers.

Firstly, if you have a company of one, a storage shed might be large enough (for a time).

Secondly, if you already have an organization with numerous employees, the building you suggested might well not be enough. Depends on how many of them are field service employees?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 312

11/14/2016 10:53 AM

What type of office space,

Employee workstations, there are requirement for this. Number of employee workstations, Minimum aisle width requirements, Electrical Requirements per employees, Handycapped issues, Requirements for egress, Bathrooms.

or

Storage or conference room?

At a fab shop were I worked, they were going to put Engineering Offices on the second floor, but because of the Disabilities act, they'd also would need an elevator. Instead, they put on the plans a storage area on the second floor and after the building was built they moved Engineering up there.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 58 Year Member

Good Answers: 260

11/14/2016 11:17 AM

I would think, compared to lease/rent, the expense and trouble of building a new 480 square foot office building to be quite lopsided when compared to any possible benefits.

Is there some issue with zoning that prohibit the running of your business in some existing leasable facility... an explosive manufacturer comes to mind.

Regarding the price of such a venture - what do the nice folks at Norsteel have to say about that?

Good Answers: 32

Re: Steel Building for Office Space

11/15/2016 10:19 AM

Just the building itself will probably run around $5000 and I think that includes construction. I don't think that includes the foundation to build it on. It doesn't include any electrical, plumbing, Air conditioning or finish work inside. That is just walls, roof, insulation, doors and windows, the number of windows might affect the price. Interior design will be a separate cost. It's best to layout a floor plan with what you are wanting and get quotes. Then if the quotes are too high, then you can go over your plans and take out any unnecessary items you don't need or can add later.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 49

11/15/2016 1:08 PM

Check out this site. http://www.americansteelinc.com/

I had them put up a 20' x 24' garage and they had it built in a day. I did provide a concrete slab for them and the permits in Nevada were about $2500.00.

Building - $5200.00

Permits and inspector fees - $2500.00

Slab - $1100.00

Good Answers: 126
In reply to #11

11/17/2016 12:15 PM

Having your own work space all new and tidy, ahead of deadline and under budget: Priceless!

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 7

11/15/2016 7:05 PM

And just what sort of (office work) are you trying to do?...

How many (office spaces) do you need?...

How many (office workers) are going to be (working) in there?...

What sort of (office equipment) is there going to be in there?...

Where is it going to be located, etc., ...

Post us back with as detailed a sketch, with all meaningful details, as soon you can...

Good Answers: 20

11/15/2016 10:05 PM

A. He said he was in " a financial crisis ".

B. He wants to build in January.

C. He says, " it has the benefits ", he never says what those benefits might be.

D. He says that he wants someone here to give him a rough sketch of a building that could be 20x24.

E. How much will it cost ? If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it.

Register to Reply
Associate

12/08/2016 5:00 PM

The manufacturer's of those have detailed specification on how to construct it. You need a steel structure designed to fix the cladding onto. You need a foundation designed to fix the steel structure onto. You need an arcitect to do drawings for approval. Then a contractor to put it up.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 15 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Doorman (1); IdeaSmith (1); James Stewart (2); Janissaries (2); lyn (1); MR. Guest (1); Nnn (1); Original_Macgyver (1); phoenix911 (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); tonyhemet (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Land Surveyor Engineer in UK   Next in Forum: Rare Book: "Air-Supported Structures" by Bailly et al.

Advertisement