CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Bimetalic Pressure Gauge   Next in Forum: How To Remove Electrodes of Krohne Magnetic Flow Sensor
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

Atlas Copco Oil Free Compressor ZT30

11/17/2016 1:33 AM

i am recieving alarm in compressor.when it is in loading state and reaches 7.8 bar it gives warning alarm as "condensate drain IC open" i checked the auto drain and also replace it but still alarm is coming and not reset.but during unloading it is reseted. if anyone can help me .

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 737

Re: atlas copco oil free compressor ZT30

11/17/2016 3:06 AM

Does the control system have any means of defeating false alarms? Or, on the other hand, do the plant operators have any means of defeating true alarms?

In reply to #1

11/18/2016 1:54 AM

no access to defeat false alarm.only atlas copco can modify or defeat.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 737
In reply to #4

11/18/2016 1:59 AM

My deepest sympathies, then.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 685
In reply to #4

11/18/2016 9:44 AM

Well, that's something. It shows there is a relationship with Atlas Copco. What else was discussed during the telephone calls to their Technical Helpline?

Good Answers: 128
In reply to #4

11/18/2016 1:35 PM

Try this:

Problem solving. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42

If you downloaded the manual, you would see page 42. I noticed items on this page that refer the user to "Electronikon regulator manual" or other documentation. This might provide further insight about the messages appearing on your display.

Guru

Good Answers: 1009

Re: Atlas Copco Oil Free Compressor ZT30

11/17/2016 11:08 AM

In reply to #2

11/18/2016 1:57 AM

yes both manually drain and auto drains are installed .

Register to Reply
Guru

11/17/2016 4:43 PM

Atlas Copco should be the most proficient at helping you, have you actually tried communicating with them?

What does your product manual have to say about this behavior?

Good Answers: 13

11/18/2016 8:34 AM

Your alarm may be inferred by the controller, measuring the amount of time it takes to build up pressure when loading. Or it could measure the differential pressure across a screen or filter, and determine there is a higher than normal flow to atmosphere, when really the screen or the filter may be blocked, or some other problem that can fool the instrumentation(and the control designer).

So this alarm, perhaps poorly configured, may be triggered by any leak or wear in your compressor that results in a loss of performance.

It would be interesting to define what IC is an abbreviation for, that may provide more insight...

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #7

11/18/2016 12:09 PM

there are two condensate drain devices named as EWD ( electronic water drains) .one is for intercooler (IC) and other is aftercooler (AC).I am receiving "condensate drain IC open " alarm. I change the device but still alarm appears.I cheked in configuration.condensate drain IC contact should be closed and its open to alarm.in my case, it remains open all the time but when pressure reaches 7.8 bar during loading ,this alarm appears.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

11/18/2016 12:30 PM

Malfunction: refer to dealer/OEM manual, and hash this out with them. They may have to send a field tech to solve it.

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #9

11/18/2016 12:45 PM

Maybe the intercooler has some plugging or blockage, or your pressure transmitter or switch before or after the cooler might be defective. Maybe your intercooler is cooling the air too much, or not enough, depending if they are using temperature or pressure to detect an air leak in the cooler.

My guess is that the control sees the pressure drop across the intercooler is higher than normal when loaded, which you might assume is due to higher than expected air flow into the cooler, or maybe slower than expected pressure rise into the cooler, root cause often an air leak, but maybe not always.

Manufacturers do not always document the method of obtaining alarms, makes it difficult to actually troubleshoot the alarm

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 12 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (3); PWSlack (1); rwilliams (2); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (2); usmanjalil (3)

Previous in Forum: Bimetalic Pressure Gauge   Next in Forum: How To Remove Electrodes of Krohne Magnetic Flow Sensor

Advertisement