CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Brake Problems After Replacing Most Everything   Next in Forum: Is Nitrogen for Tires a Scam?
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 103

Classic Cars from Cuba

11/17/2016 4:51 PM

I just heard that it will be possible to import old classic cars from Cuba. Cuba has cars on the road that date way back. I wonder if that will affect the value of classics already in the U.S. Looks like a new venture for someone who wants to capitalize on old classics. Could be a good opportunity for car collectors like Jay Leno.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

Re: Classic cars from Cuba

11/17/2016 4:54 PM

Maybe for parts. Most of the Cuban cars are sadly no longer authentic because they could not get parts, and would just adapt in whatever was available to keep them running.

Good Answers: 589
In reply to #1

11/17/2016 5:52 PM

I lived in the Caribbean back in the old days. The constant trade winds off the ocean tend to make anything made out of iron turn to rust.

I am amazed that they have kept vehicles running this long, but then the old Yank tanks back then were built pretty sturdy.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

11/17/2016 5:13 PM

It takes money and proper parts to maintain a vehicle in original condition, not something to expect from a communist country....While it's true there is some very skillful builders in Cuba most of the cars are put together with whatever is available at the time...Besides the cars in Cuba are worth more there than they are here....Now selling a lightly restored classic car from here, in Cuba, would be the way to go if it could be done quickly, as the market is likely to correct with new supply....Now once the market corrects to some equivalency with US, then it will be a good place to trade Hondas for restorable classic peaches...

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/cuba-a-classic-car-buyers-paradise-in-2014

Anonymous Poster #1

11/18/2016 1:38 AM

Hoo-boy, I always wanted a '53 Packard.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

11/18/2016 7:49 AM

It's a game of "musical chairs". Just make sure there is a chair nearby when the music stops.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 141

Re: Classic Cars from Cuba

11/18/2016 8:56 PM

My friend has been visiting Cuba for many times in the last 4 decades.

And had a road accident there with a "Cuban original".

It seemed to be kept together with pounds of bondo. The car fell about apart after te collision.

Good Answers: 29
In reply to #6

11/20/2016 2:26 PM

That's what I'd expect. Bondo, pie tins, cardboard - all good materials to hold the body together.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #6

11/21/2016 9:11 AM

You know you have too much Bondo, when the shocks bottom out.

Good Answers: 2

11/22/2016 10:38 AM

There are pockets of vintage gringo original rods throughout the world. Years ago, I was surprised at what I came across in Uruguay, a bit of a collector's mecca, especially for old Fords.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Autobroker (1); bullardrr (1); dvmdsc (1); James Stewart (2); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Brake Problems After Replacing Most Everything   Next in Forum: Is Nitrogen for Tires a Scam?

Advertisement