CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Periodic Elements Table Everyday Use   Next in Forum: Heat Treatment of Metal
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Resin Blending

11/18/2016 3:02 PM

Hello, I was wondering if you know of a formula or math program, etc. that will allow one to mix or blend, say, different totes of resin that have different izod, density, melt flow and carbon content, in order to make a certain blend that correlates to what you want. Ex, say the density of one tote is .94 and the density of the other tote is .97 and you want a blend of .95 then this program or math formula will help get a result on how much to use from each tote. This ex would include differences in carbon black, izod and melt flow along with different densities.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 304

Re: resin blending

11/18/2016 3:06 PM

The best is with empirical experimentation. And different types of blenders varies the outcome.

Good Answers: 472

Re: Resin Blending

11/18/2016 3:45 PM

My guess would be that if V1 and V2 are the characteristics of the two and V is the desired characteristic of the mixtures, then m1 and m2 would be the amounts of resin1 and resin2 to mix together, i.e., a ratio of m1/m2.

m1/m2 = (V2-V)/(V-V1)

In the example above V1=.94, V2=.97, V=.95

m1/m2 = (.97-.95)/(.95-.94) = 2/1 ratio

This assumes that the components blend and don't interact with each other. (If you're mixing epoxy, the resultant mixture would have a lot higher viscosity than either of the components.)

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 157

11/18/2016 4:00 PM

Sorry for the blurriness, but the CR4 text editor will not allow you to indent or use tabs, so I just did a screen shot of a Word file.

Good Answers: 80

11/18/2016 11:08 PM

In order- no, yes, no, yes.

For most polymers density can be controlled in an almost linear fashion, providing you are blending compatible and similar molecular weight and structure materials. Carbon black and any other fillers/ additives obviously can be blended in a linear mass ratio.

Izod and melt flow are another story. It depends on the polymer, its processing history if recycled, fillers etc. Blending a high melt flow injection grade unfilled polypropylene copolymer with a low MF extrusion grade 20% glass filled homopolymer is not likely to give you empirical results that fit any formulas I know!

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 304
In reply to #4

11/19/2016 7:42 AM

Great details.

Good Answers: 1533
In reply to #4

11/19/2016 12:00 PM

I think the anon has totes of either regrind or pellets on hand, from other runs, and wants to magically modify them for use for something else.

In my mind the proportions of fillers/density/MFI/impact is fixed so they would be trying to blend unknown proportions of ingredients (carbon) and physical properties to achieve an impossible material with the desired properties.

This is impossible!

My bet is the OP is from India.

Guru

Good Answers: 1533

11/19/2016 11:48 AM

From your question, it appears that you have no idea what density, Izod impact and melt flow index even mean in relation to thermoplastic materials.

What you think you want to do is simply impossible.

Give up this folly because it will not save you any money.Buy the material you need and use it.

Reply to Forum Thread 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

JNB (1); lyn (2); Mikerho (1); phoenix911 (2); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Periodic Elements Table Everyday Use   Next in Forum: Heat Treatment of Metal

Advertisement