CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Source of Gas Liquid Check Valve   Next in Forum: Rafter Stability
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Active Contributor

Torque Hinge, Pivot Joint, or ? 

11/19/2016 3:27 PM

I've been learning a lot from the member of this forum. So, here I am with another question regarding the project posted here: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/109552#comment1175764

Would you please help me figure out what components I need for connecting that lever handle to the upper part (~10kg) and the vertical bar that supports the movement?

How can I know what type of hinge is suitable for that application? Do you know any book about types of joints and their applications that you would recommend?

There seem to be several types of rotational joints, and I can't figure out which type is right for that lever handle and what other components I need to connect it to other parts.

And if we want to use a rotary damper in the central hole of the handle, what other component should we use to provide additional support for the handle? Because apparently rotary dampers need additional support. Mind that rotary damper is the only component I found to slow down a rotational movement. So, please let me know if there are other options for slowing down that motion.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: "Joint" "hinge"
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1586

Re: Torque hinge, pivot joint, or ? 

11/19/2016 3:40 PM

Hinge Types – A Modern Overview — HardwareSource.com

Types of Hinges - Monroe

You really need to learn how to learn.

Have you done ANY web searches before coming here?

Any reading about mechanical design?

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

11/19/2016 3:52 PM

I've been doing web search for a couple of days now. But now I feel more lost than when I started it. Mainly because I don't know what options are available and what their names are. I found one book about designing mechanical joints but it was too general and not so helpful. So, yes, I do need to learn how to learn:/.

Do you know any book or reading material that helps me understand the difference between the function of different joints or hinges available for rotational movement?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

11/19/2016 4:20 PM

You should be able to find something here that will work for your budget...

spring loaded lid support

Good Answers: 1125
In reply to #3

11/19/2016 11:15 PM

This design might work with a little tweaking....counter balancing the weight with a spring, and locking in an upright position....this way the top could be lifted with a small handle....and then a latch to close securely...

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/specialty-hinges/chest-hinges-box-hinges-lid-supports/toy-box-lid-supports/bench-seat-hinge-1

https://www.amazon.com/Sonline-Spring-Loaded-Stainless-Toggle/dp/B00X9HBR5S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1479615180&sr=8-9&keywords=Snap+Latches

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749

11/19/2016 4:36 PM

That lever off to the right looks like a storage nuisance.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 455

11/19/2016 6:53 PM

Forget rotary dampers - you'd need a huge one to do this little job (consider the torque!). Way over-engineered/over-priced. Use a linear damper.

Good Answers: 27

11/19/2016 10:36 PM

Look for shoulder screws and work out how you could use them. Look up finger joint and think about using one of them for the centre pivot. As for damping, use nylon6 washers in the finger joint and tighten the screw/bolt until desired damping is achieved. Look up brass bush, stub axle and tapered roller bearings. Have fun

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

JIMRAT (1); JohnDG (1); lyn (1); pashmak (1); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Source of Gas Liquid Check Valve   Next in Forum: Rafter Stability

Advertisement