CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Pressurized Argon Ionization Chamber - 10CC Volume   Next in Forum: ZEN Building at SUNY Polytechnic Campus
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Active Contributor

Tiled Armour Science - Trispokedovetiles - Three-spoke Dovetailing Tiles

11/22/2016 10:23 AM

Trispokedovetiles: Three-spoke dovetailing tiles

I've programmed a webpage using Javascript to display an animation which shows a range of different trispokedovetiles, each of which can be specified by a "CIRCLE" percentage, which is the ratio as a percent of two parameters -

• A "HEXAGON" parameter length - always nominally "100%"
  • A "CIRCLE" parameter length - the animation varies this between 100% and 135%, though values up to 150% can be drawn.

You can also use the webpage to specify a "CIRCLE" percentage and click to "Draw TRISPOKEDOVETILES" to generate an image of a tessellation of a particular shape of trispokedovetiles.

I've tested the animation in Chrome and Internet Explorer browsers and it works fine for me but it is not working in Firefox for some as yet unknown reason.

I've named the shape "Trispokedovetile" which is a contraction of "tri-spoke dovetailing tile".

• "tri-spoke" because the shape is similar to a 3-spoke motorcycle wheel with three bites taken out of it.
  • "dovetailing" because the tiles interlock like a dovetail joint

Possible application to tiled armour

One issue with hexagonal or square armour tiles is that such simple shapes don't interlock naturally, as do jigsaw puzzle pieces.

Whilst a little armour tile movement normal to the armour plane is useful in absorbing the kinetic energy of a ballistic impact, such as from a bullet and better than the armour tile absorbing the same kinetic energy by shattering, on the other hand, tile movement tangential to the armour plane leaves most unwelcome gaps in the armour.

So armour tiles shaped like jigsaw puzzle shapes (or some hexagonal variation such as these trispokedovetiles) could perform well in this application.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: armor Armour tiles
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1140

Re: Tiled armour science - trispokedovetiles - three-spoke dovetailing tiles

11/22/2016 10:31 AM

The design seems unique and should be useful in certain applications....nice work

I suggest a simpler name....tri-lock

In reply to #1

11/22/2016 10:55 AM

QUOTE "The design seems unique and should be useful in certain applications....nice work"

Thanks!

QUOTE "I suggest a simpler name....tri-lock"

"Tri-lock" would be a simpler but neither a descriptive nor a unique name as would befit a unique design.

"tri-lock"- 1,000,000 google search hits

"trilock" - 365,000 google search hits

There are a number of arty tessellation images that are similar and helped provide me with some inspiration.

Also the image search term "tetrapod vector" finds some similar images.

But the "tetrapod (structure)"

WIKIPEDIA "In coastal engineering, a tetrapod is a tetrahedral concrete structure used as armour unit on breakwaters."

- isn't an appropriate name for a flat tile shape and neither is "tripod".

I wondered if such a tile shape had already been named by mathematicians and I did ask in some maths forums but no information about that has been received and consequently I am sticking with "trispokedovetile" for now.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #4

11/22/2016 9:31 PM

You better call them: TriS Dow Tiles!

In reply to #11

11/22/2016 9:49 PM

I'm still trying to find a woman who will allow me to name her "Mrs Dow" as my wife, after Condoleezza Mona Lisa turned me down (by default, she's never actually communicated with me in any way).

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 457

11/22/2016 10:43 AM

Works fine with Firefox on both my Win7 and XP laptops.

In reply to #2

11/22/2016 11:08 AM

QUOTE "Works fine with Firefox on both my Win7 and XP laptops."

I tried uninstalling and downloading the latest version and reinstalling Firefox and it worked for a while but afterwards Firefox wouldn't work on any webpage - it just hung showing a blank page - and it didn't give me any useful error messages either, which is a pain.

I am not sure what has caused my Firefox to stop working - it could be something else entirely and a coincidence that it stopped working around about the same time. Firefox had worked fine on my windows 8.1 for many months if not a year or so.

Diagnosing this issue with my Firefox installation on my PC is not a priority for me, but if you say my webpage works for you using Firefox then that's good news.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 70

11/22/2016 10:47 AM

Interesting, It is like a plate chainmail that can distort to absorb energy and spread it over a large area. Only problem I see is this would go good behind something that is hard enough to transfer the energy of impact from a projectile.

I like the design, it incorporates a failure mode that breaks in stages increasing the duration of failure. It will bend before it breaks thus increasing the likelihood of an incomplete failure.

Drew K

In reply to #3

11/22/2016 11:53 AM

Thanks Drew but I'm only claiming credit for suggesting this class of trispokedovetile shapes for design use in tiled armour as an improvement upon say the hexagonal tiles already used by armour manufacturers today.

I am certainly not claiming any credit for, nor inviting any discussion about, the long established practices and principles of tiled or the similar scale armour.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341

11/22/2016 11:08 AM

Interesting.

One issue with hexagonal or square armour tiles is that such simple shapes don't interlock naturally, as do jigsaw puzzle pieces.

Well, the design could have it interlock on one side, and for use as armor, that is what your would need.

In reply to #6

11/22/2016 12:00 PM

QUOTE "Interesting."

Thanks!

"Well, the design could have it interlock on one side, and for use as armor, that is what your would need."

I'm not clear what you mean there, sorry.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341
In reply to #8

11/22/2016 12:32 PM

Ok, I'm looking at this as a brainstorming session. And I'm putting this on the table.

I did a quick sketch, lots of gaps, but good for visualizing.. its not detailed but just to get my point across.

but you have plates on one side (circular ones shown) so to as giving it one way mobility,

doing so one could use some type of clevis linkages to get flexibility

even thinking about it even farther, if one would flip every other one over and assembly may happen if it was assembly with a twist, this may lock in.... also unlock,

like I said,.... interesting.....

Interesting little project for a 3D printer for proof of concept.

In reply to #9

11/22/2016 9:09 PM

Well now that's a lot clearer as to what you meant. Thank you.

But we are talking about different directions of interlocking altogether because when I talked about -

"One issue with hexagonal or square armour tiles is that such simple shapes don't interlock naturally, as do jigsaw puzzle pieces."

I meant the interlocking in the direction that prevents jigsaw pieces separating one from another.

There's no "interlocking" other than gravity which holds jigsaw pieces down on the table or stops them floating upwards (up and down is the direction "normal" to the table surface) and so I was in no sense banging on about interlocking against movement of armour tiles in the direction normal to the armour plane, in the direction of a bullet.

Whereas a jigsaw puzzle with simple hexagon-shaped pieces could be slid apart along the surface of the table easily enough because hexagons don't interlock side to side.

So the trispokesdovetiles interlock successfully, completely, with no bother and no more discussion needed as do jigsaw puzzle pieces to prevent sideways movement that would cause unwelcome gaps in the armour between tiles which had moved sideways.

Whereas you have changed the subject from my quote to discuss interlocking against movement in the normal to the armour plane, in the direction of a bullet. That's important but quite a different issue which presumably has already been solved for the existing manufactured tiled armour using hexagon shaped tiles.

So you are likely trying to reinvent the wheel with your suggestions there.

However, your images have inspired me to offer some suggestions as to how to make a 3D representation of trispokedovetiles. Here's a simple method I came up with.

Step 1.

Create a line image using my webpage, this is for CIRCLE = 120. Right click save image as.

Step 2

Use a image editing program such as paint.net

Crop the image to suit and use the paint bucket tool to fill the tiles you want to make 3D with another colour, I chose red.

Step 3

Use the magic wand tool with option flood mode global to select all the red area and then copy and paste the red area into a new image

Step 4

Use paint bucket tool to colour the tiles black

Step 5

Upload the black and white image to selva3d.com with option "Logo/text", adjust the height and rotate the image to suit and right click to save the image.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #9

11/29/2016 9:43 AM

Now to consider the important issue of interlocking trispokedovetiles against movement in the direction normal to the armour plane, in the direction of a bullet.

BILAYER TRISPOKEDOVETILES

I propose that the unit armour tile be comprised of 2 joined trispokedovetiles with matching HEXAGON parameters but with each with a different CIRCLE percentage.

For example, suppose we choose trispokedovetiles with CIRCLE = 100% and 121%.

The reason for choosing C100 for the outer layer of the armour is because its 120 angle corners would be more robust.

The reason for choosing C121 for the inner layer of the armour is because CIRCLE = 121% offers the largest percentage where the neck attacking the outer part rings is at least twice the thickness of the ring, attempting to balance the robustness of the ring parts to the robustness of the neck versus tensile stresses.

Stacking and joining those together forms a bilayer trispokedovetile, "C100+C121".

Drawing the 2 layers semi-transparently we can see how the bilayer trispokedovetiles would interlock in the normal to the plane.

2/3rds of the tiles can be slotted together, either the yellows and the blues or the yellows and the purples or the blues and the purples.

However the final 1/3 of the tiles would not simply slot in and would have be inserted by joining the two halves of the bilayer trispokedovetile in situ.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 588

Re: Tiled Armour Science - Trispokedovetiles - Three-spoke Dovetailing Tiles

11/23/2016 5:05 PM

Very nice, overlapping circles and radial lines. It might make interesting floor tiles as well. Thanks, I like it!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #13

11/23/2016 6:52 PM

Thanks Rixter!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles

12/05/2016 7:30 PM

For Computer-Aided Manufacturing of trispokedovetiles, I'm publishing today my new Javascript web-page -

Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles web-page G-code generator

- which generates Computer Numerical Control (CNC) code which I've tested with CNC Simulator Pro but not on a real CNC cutter as yet.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

12/10/2016 8:42 PM
Register to Reply
Active Contributor

12/18/2016 7:57 AM

TRISPOKEDOVETILES ROUTER CUTTING

My trispokedovetile CAD-CAM webpage now offers an (X,Y,Z) option for router cutting using rotary tool paths between spaced out tiles -

I've simulated the CNC router code -

Register to Reply
Participant

06/28/2017 6:21 AM

Have you thought of putting a matrix laminate between the tile layers that allows some flexibility whilst still remaining intact (to a point) this should allow the tangential movement without the gapping effect and when it does give then the energy used will reduce the projectile velocity.

I looked in to a similar effect in the past for a novel body armour that used the damage tolerance of Nacre that uses 3 different mechanisms for body armour that amalgamate together well and are similar in design to yours.

I like this design though and definitely worth keeping an eye on as I have worked in body armour for a while now.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #19

06/29/2017 2:09 PM

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

What I have suggested is a bilayer trispokedovetile meaning a single composite tile which is comprised of two trispokedovetile halves firmly fused, welded, brazed, soldered, riveted, screwed or otherwise joined together to create one single rigid tile.

In order to ensure that the tiles when assembled have overlapping edges, it is unacceptable for the two halves of a bilayer trispokedovetile to move with respect to each other, tangentially in the armour plane or in any other direction.

That is not to say that one could not have multiple layers of such bilayer trispokedovetiles and some matrix laminate between the layers. It is merely to say that each single layer be assembled of tiles, each being a whole and indivisible "bilayer trispokedovetile".

There is the complication that 1 out of 3 of the bilayer trispokedovetiles requires to be joined in situ but once joined it functions as a single piece.

There is the further complication that there may be an advantage to using different materials for each half of the bilayer trispokedovetile.

For example the exterior-facing half, the C100, where hardness is the most important property, could be made of ceramic - silicon carbide for example.

and that would be joined to the interior facing half, C121, where tensile strength is the more important property which may be made of a tough metal, titanium perhaps

But in operation, even though the two halves be made of different materials, the two halves should be firmly joined together to make one tile.

That is my concept but I've not proposed this design with the "body armour" application in mind.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

06/29/2017 12:27 PM

BEWARE my dead "scot.gcehosting.com" links in my earlier posts above!

I lost my website hosting in January. I was not "hacked" but the gcehosting administrator seems to have gone out of business and the hosting company he was using (godaddy) is serving various spurious adverts whenever anyone clicks one of my old links.

I have got the following pages back on-line with a different hosting company now so try these links instead.

Trispokedovetiles: Three-spoke dovetailing tiles by Peter Dow

Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles by Peter Dow

Trispokedovetiles Gallery

I can't edit my earlier posts to correct the old links, sorry.

I've not done anything with this project since January.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 457
In reply to #20

06/29/2017 6:33 PM

Ask Admin to intervene.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Drew K (1); IdeaSmith (1); JohnDG (2); MTJB-Engineering (1); Peter Dow (13); phoenix911 (2); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Pressurized Argon Ionization Chamber - 10CC Volume   Next in Forum: ZEN Building at SUNY Polytechnic Campus

Advertisement