CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: How To Use Sweep Generator And Scope For Filter Test?   Next in Forum: Temperature Transmitter Calibration
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

Profibus DP & PA

11/22/2016 11:32 PM

Hello everybody

i have a doubt in profibus DP and profibus PA. For which instruments we can use DP and where we can use PA. like in my Plant we are using Profibus DP with flowmeters ,pressure transmitters,solenoid valves & Mov's .but for control valve they used profibus PA.my question is

why not they used the DP for all.

what happens when they will use PA for transmitters and MOV's also.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 698

Re: profibus DP & PA

11/23/2016 2:58 AM

It depends upon what is in the plant. After all, [hint] one of the two is suitable for hazardous areas, and the other is not. Time for some reading!

In reply to #1

11/23/2016 3:49 AM

PA is used in hazardius area. But in my plant there is no such area

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
In reply to #2

11/23/2016 4:36 AM

No-one else on this forum can see that; <...we...> - as there are others at the facility, ask "them". After all, it had to be designed, installed and commissioned, and therefore there will be local records of who did what, why, where, and when.

Good Answers: 171

Re: Profibus DP & PA

11/23/2016 10:37 AM

DP runs over RS-485, which is not suitable for hazardous areas.

PA is specifically for field instruments in hazardous areas.

PA uses

- intrinsically safe transmission techniques,
- field devices are powered over the bus cable,
- reliable data transmission (at a lower baud rate than DP)

The protocol is the same for DP and PA, but the hardware tranmission layer is different.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #4

11/23/2016 10:51 PM

It means we can use both of them in non- hazardous environment like RO plant desaination etc .

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

11/24/2016 3:08 AM

There's the solution, then: whoever <...we...> are, have the answers already.

Good Answers: 171
In reply to #5

11/24/2016 1:32 PM

Yes, either DP or PA is suitable for non-hazardous area.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Iris (2); PWSlack (3); usmanjalil (2)

Previous in Forum: How To Use Sweep Generator And Scope For Filter Test?   Next in Forum: Temperature Transmitter Calibration

Advertisement