CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Torque Hinge, Pivot Joint, or ?    Next in Forum: Hydrogen Fuel of Future
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Active Contributor
Australia - Member - New Member Pakistan - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Automotive Engineering - New Member

Rafter Stability

11/23/2016 1:21 AM

Hi,
All of you must be ok.
We have a polymer factory covered under mechanical peb shed,it was constructed in 2006,at its top asbestos sheets are put weight of these sheets is 117 tons. The complete peb is free of centre columns. We have started installing ducts of chiller to cool inside environment,ducts are connected to ahus, when full ducts work done some noise was heard of breaking some thing, we called civil engineer he suggested to install pipe columns sch 40 of 10 inch dia. From that column arms arising 45 degree would support the structure completely and will share load as picture is attached.
Please guide me if this structure will be good to suit.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

Re: RAFTER STABILITY

11/23/2016 3:00 AM

GET BACK ONTO THE CIVIL ENGINEER AND REFER TO THIS INDIVIDUAL'S DESIGN.

And don't SHOUT while doing it.

How rude.

Good Answers: 1573

Re: Rafter Stability

11/23/2016 3:13 PM

No one here can help you. There is no information that is useful.

Good advice, and quality construction costs money.

It does not come from an anonymous forum half way around the world with no idea of the existing structure.

Hire a competent civil engineer, pay him a good retainer and follow his advice.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 69

11/23/2016 4:10 PM

As someone with no formal mechanical engineer training all I can offer is my opinion.

It's my understanding that a vertical tubular column is ideal for off center loading which is what you seem to have.

Given that your roof was self-supporting with no vertical columns is an achievement in itself.

Even with the height of the column which seems to be more than 7 meters? The arrangement in your drawing is capable supporting a pretty impressive load.

I would make sure the connection points are made appropriately.

Check some online calculators with your exact length and specifications for additional peace of mind.

There are also other forum's. Where these questions are discussed without fear of death and legal retribution because after all it's on you or whomever is in charge? �� I mean you are working with a reputable engineer correct?

Please be fully aware that I really don't know what I'm talking about. every word I say should be considered dangerous and irrational. You must insert all possible and relevant disclaimers here.

Have fun making your polymers!

Good Answers: 22

11/24/2016 11:15 AM

There might be a business opportunity here.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #4

11/24/2016 11:26 AM

Ha! I think you're right.

The Applied Science of Informally Educated Opinions-

It's worked well for me and billions of others for thousands of years

-Happy Thanksgiving

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 210

12/01/2016 10:18 AM

I'd consider beefier gussets

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Fredski (1); JE in Chicago (2); lyn (1); PWSlack (1); tonyhemet (1)

Previous in Forum: Torque Hinge, Pivot Joint, or ?    Next in Forum: Hydrogen Fuel of Future

Advertisement