Previous in Forum: Air Compresser   Next in Forum: Thin Al Sheet "Box" Welding
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Participant

1997 HAAS VF-2 Mill Will Not Drip Feed Large Files

12/02/2016 6:01 PM

We are having problems running the DNC mode drip feed from our Shop Floor Automations unit. This unit sends data from USB thru Ethernet to the RS 232 port in the HAAS.

We have verified that the interface between the unit and the controller is communicating. We have run smaller files in drip feed and they ran without errors.

The problem seems to be coming when we are trying to run larger files over 1.5MB.

We get alarm codes 248 (erroneous data) and 373 (Invalid DNC code). I have sent our large file g-code to HAAS and they said the program runs fine for them through DNC. But they also have newer controllers. So I know our program is not the issue.

I am wondering if this can be a hardware issue on the controller of our older machine? I am using the recommended RS 232 port settings from HAAS with the X-MODEM protocol so my parameters are also set right.

Also, is there a certain way that the code should be different for DNC drip feed? When we generate code from the CAM program is there a certain way to export the file differently for DNC drip feed purposes?

These programs are generated through SolidCAM and we have never had issue with the programs running through the on board memory.

Has anyone experienced these issues? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341

Re: 1997 HAAS VF-2 Mill will not drip feed large files

12/02/2016 10:07 PM

It's been a while,... There could be a number of things effecting it, larger programs with drip feed, more chance of interference.

Double check your communications Parameter (hand shake) , don't think that's the problem if your smaller programs run

memory caching may not set correctly (check that) even though drip feed, as I recall, it reads a block at a time... but that was a long time ago.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 197

Re: 1997 HAAS VF-2 Mill Will Not Drip Feed Large Files

12/04/2016 3:31 AM

I am guessing that it has never worked? True?

I had what I believe is a similar problem with an old HP plotter with a RS232 interface.

Or, and I am guessing, but it could be that the USB to RS232 interface you have is not correctly connected and USB being a streaming communication, its "over running" the data buffer eventually.

Buffering is helping for small files, but then the buffer over runs and s**t happens!

Also, certain USB to RS232 connectors, especially cheap Chinese ones from many sources, are not hand shaking correctly, thereby causing the exact same problems....

The company that sells PICAXE chips in the UK had this problem some years ago and they now supply for a small amount of money, a USB to RS232 converter that apparently works correctly. They only guarantee this one with their chips. But it has an unconventional connector at one end though...there may be better answers around.

My fix years ago, was to throttle down the output of the PC, so that it was sending data slightly slower than the HP plotter could handle it. A cheap fix, but it worked for many years without problems!!

Its a common problem to my mind. One that is simple to fix, ONCE YOU KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!!

Try talking to these firms and reading on the websites about the problem:-

http://www.kksystems.com/usb-converters?gclid=CjwKEAiAmo_CBRC9qbGQssjqi28SJABYTgZxOLGuf3jQk-wcRwa-UMK8BIHcC_B8G3P83AQhV-2KFhoCxLjw_wcB

or

https://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232-usb.html

Reading these may help you in getting the RS232 end correctly connected, which it may not be:-

http://www.windmill.co.uk/rs232-communication.html

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/24190/serial-to-usb-adaptors-types-and-problems

There is loads of websites for this problem, I simply searched on "usb to rs232 with correct handshaking".

Remember, it might be just one or two pins on the RS232 side that have been ignored, or incorrectly placed, it could be as simple as 5 minutes with a soldering iron and correct knowledge!!

A breakout box with LEDs, will give you a clear demonstration as to what is gong wrong I feel and are not expensive. Years ago I would add one in to a system and simply leave it connected forever!!! It showed me immediately if everything was working correctly!!

Something like this maybe:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pocket-Sized-RS-232-Serial-Break-Out-Box-CablesOnline-TS-BOB-/280852483299

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #2

12/04/2016 1:15 PM

OK i am wild guessing. Are the communication parameters correctly set?

Some times only a miss typed number can disturb the communication 9600 would be correct but 9060 bd will not run!

Another recommendation if you run at 115200 bd it might be slightly too fast for an ageing PC so go one step down in the baud rate or try 56600 bd - in most cases fast enough and working.

Or check the quartz crystal in your machine if it says 16MHz and due to aging - possible as these are cheap crystals or even ceramic resonators it is down to 15MHz or when their frequency is off from the marked value the calculations to figure out the baud rate could leave the permissible tolerances and then you get errors in the communication.

Use a serial communication spy scope able to decode the serial communication (some cheap scopes can read the communication (e.g. Pico scope 2205A can decode the RS232 communication - some times if if you the see any special characters ); $; besides 0 to 9 and ABCDEF or sense making strings (G codes and such) then something can be wrong with your communication.

But that is just some guessing what gan go wrong.

Best regards Uli

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

12/19/2016 1:59 AM

專業的雷射切割機製造商,需購買機器可以聯繫我

Register to Reply
Participant

12/22/2016 10:56 AM

So... I have a conclusion to this issue, and I thought that it is worthy to share because this can happen to anyone who has one of these older HAAS controllers.

We realized that this alarm code 248 out of number range refers to the "N sequence" lines (i.e. "N100, N102, N104...)

Once the n sequence lines got up to the N100000 (6 numerical spots) the controller would quit reading. Apparently, the controller was not designed to handle more than 100,000 lines of code.

We were able to successfully update and modify our post process through or CAM program. We removed the "N-lines" completely and now we are running large drip feed programs with no problems!!

Strange isn't it? Reminds me of the 2K bug where all the computers weren't designed to go past the year 1999.

So if anyone else runs into problems running large drip feed programs on an old 90s vintage HAAS controller, you may fix this by simply removing N-sequence lines from your G-code.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341
In reply to #5

12/22/2016 11:13 AM

it did sound like a memory issue at first in this case..., but now it sounded like a syntax issue for the block ID,...ie N??????

Thanks for sharing

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); jasonyh666 (1); JLaman (1); phoenix911 (2); uli_newBuilder (1)

Previous in Forum: Air Compresser   Next in Forum: Thin Al Sheet "Box" Welding

Advertisement