Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 210

Millimeter Waves

12/15/2016 4:24 PM

this accompanies my last "what is it" thread.

This tech is quite cool. I know its being real world tested in Boston right now. if it works it will be a game changer....far less construction or cap X to get it to the masses.

of course I have no indorsement interest, just sharing what interests me

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/wireless/after-a-long-silence-starry-startup-says-millimeter-waves-perform-admirably-in-beta-for-ultrafast-wireless-broadband

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

Re: Millimeter Waves

12/15/2016 4:39 PM

OR it could be NSA's new ultra-imaging technology to see who's packing, and who is is a non-threat?

I know I saw a blurb on millimeter wave imaging tech somewhere.

I think this is cool, but if it does to the average person what it did to the dudes in the picture down at the bottom of the article, we will all be bald and have to wear knit watch-caps all the time.

Good Answers: 576

12/15/2016 5:48 PM

I could see this would work in rural flat areas where it could be mounted on a tower. Waves that short are line-of-sight.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 210

12/16/2016 8:00 AM

the company is still working on finishing: a two-foot-high rooftop unit able to serve between 600 and 900 customers within a roughly one-kilometer range.. it isn't just line of sight.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

12/16/2016 8:50 AM

Metricom Ricochet, Wimax, etc. The spectrum, frequency, echos, reflections, atmospheric anomalies, etc. for wireless are seemingly endless combinations of trade-offs, compromises and electromagnetic gridlock potential. Years ago a seasoned hard core RF engineer friend in the HAM cult opined that for wireless to really work, it would have to be daisy chained on a local long wave level from computer transceiver to computer transceiver, then at a second shorter wave tier in a sub-regional network (e. g., cell towers) then into fiber trans and inter continental fiber systems, or, where latency could be tolerated, to satellite arrays. I guess we are sort of trudging along in this direction with CATV based systems creeping across the land.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bullardrr (1); Fredski (1); James Stewart (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: What Is It?   Next in Forum: Vacon Frequency Drive - 37KW

Advertisement