CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: The Internet is Safe; Your Data is Secure.   Next in Forum: Phone or Tablet as Appliance UI?
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Power-User
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - New Member

Good Answers: 4

code.org

12/15/2016 8:33 PM

https://code.org/

My second-grade daughter's class started using this site to learn comp sci concepts in their weekly computer class, and from talking to the kids most seem to enjoy it. Tonight was the first I'd heard of it so I figured I'd share what seems to be a successful STEM initiative.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

Re: code.org

12/16/2016 8:25 AM

Any other members of the CR4 community have kids who use this site? Are you familiar with other help-kids-to-code programs? Here's another innovative approach, not as easily deployed as a web site, but potentially more appealing to some youngsters.

Any of you who live in Atlanta or Chicago -- send in a review if you go to the exhibit. Supposed to open in Atlanta "early next year" -- I looked for a start date and didn't find one.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 11

Re: code.org

12/16/2016 12:06 PM

It seems like it could generally be more effective to teach a (technical) topic to pre-college-age students in a fun and entertaining way of ''if-you-do-this,-it-will-do-that'' kind of demonstration, without first telling them it's part of computer programming, calculus, etc.

It will seem less geeky to a greater number of students...

And then, more of them will start to ask such questions as, ''How did you do that?'' or ''But what is this really for?''

Then they can then be answered in a way that may not ''turn so many of them off'' right afterwards...

That way, you're answering their questions, and they're not just trying to endure your lecture...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: The Internet is Safe; Your Data is Secure.   Next in Forum: Phone or Tablet as Appliance UI?

Advertisement