CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Girth Gear Alignment   Next in Forum: Two-Sided Latch to Lock and Move a Small Plastic Cover Over a Keypad
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 116

Heating Tracing For Outdoor Transmitter Locations in Cold Weather

12/21/2016 3:57 PM

Today, we had our combined cycle unit online, and I was running some tests on the water purification system with a steam heater unit, by balancing the supply network so the branch with the heater in the loop was the dominant flow path. That was working fine.

All of a sudden there was this hell roar - the HRSG steam drum safety had lifted. This does not usually or normally happen. I eventually walked out to look, and people were scrambling all over the HRSG, and fire trucks were pulling up. There was actually a fire up top by the steam drum, and it knocked out all of the transmitters located in that area that were contained in a weather box. The fire was quickly put out by some fast acting, stair climbing dudes, but the firemen actually climbed the ladder in full turn out gear on the back side of the unit. Don't ask me why, perhaps it showed them a challenge.

One of our sharper I&E techs got the wiring to the more or less undamaged transmitters restored and we went back online after lunch. Then our marketing partner called and ended the dispatch, not needed.

Turns out the fire was caused by jake-leg alcoholic I&E tech (no longer working here), that suicide wired the weather box heater and plugged it in on an extension cord. Last time I checked, the fire marshal inspector had condemned the long term use of extension cords on high wattage devices anywhere in our facilities. Fortunately for all, no one injured, although there was a real scramble to get X number of fire extinguishers up the stairs (98 steps) for a fast response. Fire was out by the time the fire trucks rolled up on scene.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 148

Re: Heating Tracing For Outdoor Transmitter Locations in Cold Weather

12/21/2016 5:23 PM

"caused by a jake-leg alcoholic"

And that's why they are usually fired on the spot your honor: No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Good Answers: 1533

12/21/2016 6:15 PM

Extension cords are for light bulbs.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 20

12/22/2016 12:05 AM

Maybe you should go on a walk around to make sure there ain't no other funny business going on.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

12/27/2016 9:35 AM

How can one avoid monkey shines, when monkeys (trained or not) are found working here (including this one typing this message) on a daily basis? LOL

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 678

12/22/2016 3:54 AM

Given that there was a fire it seems the facility has a serious process fluids containment problem to address.

In reply to #4

12/27/2016 9:38 AM

I am sorry, I do not get any link to fluids containment problem, are you referring to hiding the gin bottle?

This was strictly an electrical fire. The cause has been addressed, and a new penthouse built over that area, with normal conduit wiring provided for the heating of that penthouse.

Remember, this is Lowbuck, TX, and only low-bidders need apply.

Good Answers: 2

12/28/2016 9:02 PM

Thanks for great news story. Finally, some non-fake news.

I suspect that the plastic terminal strips, module housings and wire insulation provided the combustibles.

Did you get a photograph of the burned panel?

Did you make the 98 stair (wheez -wheez) climb with an extinguisher? I get the impression you're not much younger than I am (66).

In reply to #7

12/29/2016 9:53 AM

I did not venture near the area due to high steam venting noise, and I mistakenly had assumed it was the steam vent on the sky bridge between HRSG and main turbine building. Then I saw fire trucks rolling up... our maintenance and I&E staff were already rope lifting fire extinguishers, and had the fire out before the first fire responder stepped off the truck.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (3); Kilowatt0 (1); lyn (1); MagicWand (1); PWSlack (1); tonyhemet (1)

Previous in Forum: Girth Gear Alignment   Next in Forum: Two-Sided Latch to Lock and Move a Small Plastic Cover Over a Keypad

Advertisement