CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Heating Tracing For Outdoor Transmitter Locations in Cold Weather   Next in Forum: Re: Heat Required for Expansive Type (Ammonia) Refrigerator
Close
Close
Close
15 comments

Two-Sided Latch to Lock and Move a Small Plastic Cover Over a Keypad

12/22/2016 9:57 AM

we need to designa 2 sided latch that locks a sliding cover in place

but allows user to press a button or somehow retract the lock pins to move the cover down to reveal a keypad

[------------O------------] locked

[ __--------O---------__ ] press button to unlock

[------------O------------] a spring could snap it back into grooves in the side to lock

micro designed for a width of about 51mm and very thin (all under the cover)

button on top of cover controlling through small intrusion in cover

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: SLIDING LOCK MECHANISM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 678

Re: 2 sided latch to lock and move a plastic small cover over a keypad

12/22/2016 10:00 AM

So, go for it.

In reply to #1

12/22/2016 10:52 AM

how do you design such a mechanism?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1533
In reply to #4

12/22/2016 12:36 PM

1. Describe the needed function in such detail that even a child can understand its intended function of each element.

2. Define those elements and what is needed to produce each one.

3. Identify what each element looks like and determine how to incorporate each one into a functional device.

4.Draw each part and the draw the interconnections.

5. Make a model and try it.

If that seems too hard, hire a good mechanical designer and pay him well.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 62
In reply to #7

12/22/2016 1:48 PM

...and don't forget to include you cost constraints/goals as well as any quality requirements.

In reply to #8

12/22/2016 2:01 PM

Apparently, ecnerwal is part of a team, since he said, "we need to" etc.

That team seems to be off to a rocky start with no definition and no direction.

So, either they haven't thought about cost or that is the responsibility of another team member.

This looks like a "Titanic" undertaking.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 678
In reply to #4

12/23/2016 2:52 AM

Using the organisation's (<...we...>'s) design procedures. For example:

• User requirement specification
  • Functional specification
  • General arrangement drawings, first draft, for peer review.
  • Design review among peers
  • Detailed drawings, for peer review
  • Design review among peers
  • Incorporating all the comments on the design, go to second draft drawings "for construction", and issue them for the work to proceed.

At the end of the assembly, update all documents to "as built" as a final record, so that they can be used as the first draft drawings for the next project.

Good Answers: 85

12/22/2016 10:14 AM

Your post is a statement, not a question, so what is your question?

Register to Reply

In reply to #2

12/22/2016 10:49 AM

my message described what I need,

how to design such a mechanism

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 85
In reply to #3

12/22/2016 10:54 AM

Hire an expert.

(caveat: this may entail paying them for their expertise).

Register to Reply

In reply to #5

12/22/2016 11:07 AM

thanks

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 330

Re: 2 Sided Latch To Lock And Move a Small Plastic Cover Over a Keypad

12/22/2016 3:28 PM

I have some ideas but cannot for the life of me think how to clearly explain or draw them in any form of timely manner.

I'll try. Ok, what about a sliding panel on rails or sliding within a moulded cavity and locked into position with spring-loaded ball bearings and dimples in the window. A bit like the movable covers you would see in a children's toy.

Other options would be copying how outdoor security panels (or similar controls) with movable covers operate.

What about a spring-loaded hinged cover, press the release button and the cover springs open exposing the controls underneath. You can also do this with latching covers where you press the cover in and it pops open (the cover itself acting as the button), again common on commercial equipment and toys.

In reply to #10

12/23/2016 1:04 PM

Appropriately designed, of course

Register to Reply

In reply to #13

12/23/2016 2:28 PM

lyn, I knew deep down you were, deep down inside, a super person!

Otherwise I would have told you to "F... OFF" for being inconsiderate!

But here you are helping me out, WOW, I was right.

Thanks much, are there any links to CADs for this?

BUT before all that, please have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and a Very Happy and Healthy New Year to you and your family. Because family is the best part of life.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

12/23/2016 4:09 PM

If you stay around for long, you will have ample time to revise your opinion of me.

There are several types of people who come here and some never bother to read the rules or FAQs.

Those looking for an easy way to answer homework questions without putting forth any effort.

Those looking for an easy way to answer work related questions without putting forth any effort.

Those looking for an answer to a general question who do not know where to find it, although their searching skills were sufficient to direct them this forum.

Those looking for an answer to a question that they do not know how to ask.

Those who have a question about a topic that, when Googled, leads them to CR4, such as the ubiquitous Chevrolet Cavalier, which interestingly enough seem to have ebbed.

Those who just want to chat about an event, new product, or their neighbor's dog.

Those with a technical problems involving a work related or general scientific issue who know that there are good, experienced engineers, technicians and old codgers here who are willing to HELP find the answer.

Then there are those from the above group who just hang around to learn something new and help those who genuinely have a problem and know how to describe that problem in such a way that indicates that they have at least tried to solve that problem and know how to explain what they have done and where they need help. They usually don't just want the answer, they want to understand how to solve the problem that confronts them. They want to learn.

So far, I'd place you in the "work related questions " group.

CAD modules cannot teach you anything. They are tools to be used, after you understand the basic principals of the design process that they assist you to complete.

No, I know of no"links to CADs for this".

No "links to CADs for this" should be necessary. You should be able to sit at a 2D CAD terminal (or with a pad and pencil) and draw each element of a simple latch mechanism without any help.

If you, or anyone, can't do this, then you/they are not a designer, but simply an appliance user.

If you do not know how to tell time and I give you a watch, you will still not know what time it is.

Merry Christmas.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 89

12/23/2016 12:09 AM

What material for the mechanism?

Water proof?

Weather proof?

Fool proof?

What is the latch for?

Does it need to be a hidden mechanism?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (2); ecnerwal (4); IdeaSmith (1); jack of all trades (1); lyn (4); PWSlack (2); Tom_Consulting (1)

Previous in Forum: Heating Tracing For Outdoor Transmitter Locations in Cold Weather   Next in Forum: Re: Heat Required for Expansive Type (Ammonia) Refrigerator

Advertisement