CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: High Chromium Casting Defect   Next in Forum: Furnace Oil Viscosity
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Active Contributor

Recover Copper from Nitric Acid Mixed with Copper

12/25/2016 8:57 AM

Hello everyone, today i etched one copper clad glass epoxy sheet to make one sample PCB, i use nitric acid to remove unwanted copper, to make PCB with require copper tracks on it,then i feel during etching process that copper mixed up with the nitric acid solution, so any how can i recover that mixed copper from solution of copper mixed nitric acid... please tell me if its possible to recover... Thank you so much in advance.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1598

Re: Recover copper from nitric acid mixed with copper

12/25/2016 9:25 AM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #1

12/25/2016 1:07 PM

I should add that recovering the copper is far more bother than it's worth.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 589
In reply to #2

12/26/2016 12:55 PM

Right, the cost of chemicals might be more than the value of the copper. And how would someone sell or use that amount of copper that is not in a usable form, e.g., wire. It might be worthwhile for a business etching hundreds or thousands of boards.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

12/26/2016 1:16 PM

Indeed, it is a waste of time unless high volumes of Cu are processed.

A company I worked many years ago for built wet process PWB equipment and one piece of those lines was a Cupric Chloride CuCl2 etcher. (Other etch chemicals and machines could also be used, depending on many variables) The etchant was regenerated and the etched Cu was recovered.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 246

Re: Recover Copper From Nitric Acid Mixed with Copper

12/26/2016 2:53 PM

Alternately you might aim to recover the nitric acid and also get CuO (which has several uses as well).

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

Re: Recover Copper from Nitric Acid Mixed with Copper

12/27/2016 2:36 PM

There may be a unique way to concentrate the copper ions from a solution in (dilute) nitric acid. Possibly ion exchange can be utilized, although concentration of hydrogen ions (protons) needs to be reduced for the ion exchange to take place. One would then flush away the copper ions using salt, sodium sulfate, etc.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

12/28/2016 3:20 AM

Electrolysis: just plate the copper onto the negative electrode.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #7

12/28/2016 9:49 AM

The pH would obviously have to be adjusted somewhat, since nitric acid dissolved the copper in the first place, right?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703
In reply to #8

12/28/2016 11:26 AM

<...nitric acid dissolved the copper in the first place...> In that case the dissolved species would be the various nitrates of copper, and not the original nitric acid.

In reply to #9

12/28/2016 12:20 PM

Does it not depend on the relative amount of original nitric acid, and the amount of copper oxidized by said acid? That acid might be still strong enough to continue to remove whatever the electrode process is depositing, with emission of nitrogen oxides.

Good Answers: 246
In reply to #10

12/29/2016 9:41 AM

I wonder how successful ion separation could be with a Kelvin water dropper elecrrostatic generator type set up.

In reply to #11

12/29/2016 10:18 AM

I think the charges in solution must be balanced, or it would provide a lethal shock to anyone touching the solution (this is before attempting Kelvin water dropper).

Good luck with that experiment, for all I actually know about that by experience, it could work, and I would not have a clue why.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (4); lyn (3); PWSlack (2); Rixter (1); truth is not a compromise (2)

Previous in Forum: High Chromium Casting Defect   Next in Forum: Furnace Oil Viscosity

Advertisement