CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Vacon Frequency Drive - 37KW   Next in Forum: Lost Satellite, Satlink WS-6979
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Power-User
United States - Member - NY Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - BSME Clarkson University '83 Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - First PC experience Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 7

Wireless Controller for 120-V Hoist

12/26/2016 2:22 PM

I need help locating a wireless controller for a 120V hoist. I've been Googling it, but haven't found a solution yet. This is for a prop that we're building for my daughter's colorguard team. We have a 120V hoist with a wired controller. We had tried a 12V winch which did have a wireless remote, but it was too loud. The hoist is working perfectly, but it has a huge wired remote. We need to add a wireless controller and the only ones we have found so far have a huge remote. We need to find one with a remote small enough that it can be concealed in the hand of a teenage girl. I know how to search the web, but was curious if anybody knows of anything that might work for my application.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 750

Re: Wireless controller for 120V Hoist?

12/26/2016 3:10 PM

A garage door remote should be adaptable for this.

Good Answers: 1127

12/26/2016 3:20 PM

This has about a 50' range...

You'll need to wire a control system that controls the winch, this is for 12v system so you'll need a few relays....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_winches+winch-accessories+winch-remotes

United States - Member - NY Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - BSME Clarkson University '83 Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - First PC experience Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #2

12/26/2016 5:44 PM

Thanks. We were trying to avoid using relays, but we might not have a choice if we don't find anything specifically for 120V.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 70

Re: Wireless Controller for 120V Hoist

12/26/2016 9:01 PM

Woods This item: 32555 Weatherproof Outdoor Outlet Wireless Remote Control Converter Kit, 16/3 Grounded Cord 4.5 out of 5 stars 3,156 $9.84 Prime

you can add a relay if the 16/3 is insufficient

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #4

12/27/2016 9:08 AM

Two of these, one for up one for down, should wire directly into the hoist control circuit. Keep track of which remote is up or down...

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

12/27/2016 7:29 AM

Go to www.Digikey.com and type in Remote Control. Then select "RF Receiver, Transmitter, and Transceiver Finished Units"

12/27/2016 9:28 AM

more channels?

2/3 Channel Wireless Wall Lamp Switch Splitter Remote Control Receiver Transmitter

from Alex NLD

Specifications: Color: White Input: AC 200V-245V 50/60Hz Output: 3 x 1500W(inductive 500w) Material:ABS Channels type:2 way/3 way Launch battery:1 x 12V 23A(not included) IR ...

See more details at Alex NLD » $9.99 Free shipping. No tax Alex NLD

In reply to #7

12/27/2016 9:47 AM

Just need to make sure you don't key in Up & Down at the same time, Group All on, or key in the 8 second sleep delay

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

12/27/2016 2:26 PM

That 120V hoist is rated at what full load current? Could you use a power inverter, and control that with on/off relay that is wireless?

I bet it can be done, but you have more research to do, obviously.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Hmmm...

Good Answers: 26

12/28/2016 9:35 AM

What or who are you lifting? Please make sure that all of the color guard team are clear of pinch points and crush zones when this is in use.

I'd also suggest that you keep the wired remote in place in case the wireless unit fails.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

In reply to #10

12/28/2016 11:27 AM

We are lifting several team members. All are teenage girls, 120 pounds or less. We have taken great care to eliminate pinch points and any possibility that fingers, hair, clothing, or anything else could come in contact with the hoist or pulleys we are using. Safety is priority one! If it isn't safe, it's not being approved by the dads for use. We also test everything on ourselves.

This prop will be used as part of the performance, and the remote has to be wireless. If it fails, we're in trouble. We will probably keep the wired remote for safety reasons, but it cannot be used during the performance.

We are using a hoist we purchased from Harbor Freight.

The wireless remote must have two buttons - one for up and one for down. We need them to be momentary, so that the hoist moves when the buttons are pressed and stops when they are released.

I found the this controller, which we are looking into a little further.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #11

12/28/2016 12:15 PM

You do need a plan for unexpected movement, as it is possible that once starting up or down, the signal to stop movement may not work, for many reasons, even within the hoist controls, not including the wireless component of the control.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

12/29/2016 1:12 PM

Are they going to be suspended, as in flying? ..or supported as in standing on platform?

A counter balanced pulley system might eliminate the need for motors...

...as used in rock climbing...

In reply to #17

12/29/2016 1:23 PM

Suspended, as in flying. The counterbalance won't work because they need to raise and lower themselves and also switch from one performer to another. This is the winterguard version of colorguard - nothing is ever easy.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

12/29/2016 1:42 PM

Maybe some professional help is called for....?

http://www.afxuk.com/aerial-effects/manual-flying.html#.WGVYnPkrKUk

In reply to #19

12/29/2016 2:20 PM

If only we had a budget for this, or were on a stage (we're on a gym floor). We also only have 45 seconds to get our prop through a standard 36" wide door, in place on the floor and fully setup and 45 seconds to tear down and get out a 36" wide door at the end of the performance. He team is assessed penalty points for every second the setup, performance and tear down exceed the time limit of 10 minutes. The performance itself is about 8 1/2 minutes.

The last thing I expected to use my engineering skills degree for was my daughters' extracurricular high school sport. Here is what we built the past couple of years. They didn't use electricity, but some of them were on casters and got moved around during the performance.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #20

12/29/2016 2:31 PM

It is pretty elaborate, but nothing is too much for your girl, right?

I wish you all the best of luck.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 750

12/28/2016 3:06 PM

In case a push button sticks closed, or the control contains a stop button, there should be a way to interrupt power to the whole hoist, which could be monitored by an offstage person.

In reply to #13

12/28/2016 4:16 PM

I hear you, and I understand. There are strict rules on involvement of anybody not part of the competitive team. This is a competitive team sport, and we are not allowed to be actively monitoring or helping out in any way during the performance. The performers will never be higher than about 9' in the air. Still high enough to cause injury, I know. Believe me, if it were up to me, we'd deep six this hoist and prop all-together. Unfortunately, it is not my decision. We won't let them use it, if we aren't certain it's safe. I'm actually just as concerned that a parent is going to get hurt moving it around and setting it up. Each prop probably weighs 500 pounds and is 12' tall, and we have THREE of them.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

12/28/2016 4:29 PM

Sounds like a law suit just waiting for a place to happen...but there again I am feeling pessimistic right now.

In reply to #15

12/28/2016 4:47 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. I am not feeling it this season, which is unfortunate because it's my daughter's senior year, and last year on the team. They did win World Championships last year, so at least we have that memory if this year doesn't turn out well. Keeping my fingers crossed that everybody makes it through the year safely.

Register to Reply
Guru

12/30/2016 12:17 AM

please tell me there are substantial outriggers of some sort being deployed and that movement of the performers won't compromise any points of the rig?

Try to get through it and enjoy. sound like a workload

In reply to #22

12/30/2016 12:01 PM

Oh yes, we've got VERY substantial outriggers. This thing is industrial! It's made of both galvanized steel and black iron pile (1" nominal size). The outriggers are huge, and the performers are suspended from the center of the rig. There is zero chance of this tipping or buckling. As I mentioned, we test it on ourselves first to make sure it is safe. We all have daughters using it, and none of us wants an injury on our conscious. My bigger concern is actually that one of the parents will get hurt transporting it and setting it up - especially because we are using three of them, and need about 4 fairly strong (and preferably tall) people for each one. I really do have serious concerns that a parent could get hurt.

Register to Reply
Power-User

12/30/2016 12:03 PM

Hi all. I just want to say thanks to everybody who has expressed safety concerns. I share your concerns and trust me, we are taking every measure possible to make sure that the girls will be safe. Seriously, it is really nice to hear people concerned about the well-being of our kids, and I sincerely appreciate it! Happy New Year everyone!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 24 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

8320 (8); James Stewart (3); JE in Chicago (3); Lo_Volt (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); rwilliams (3); SolarEagle (3); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Vacon Frequency Drive - 37KW   Next in Forum: Lost Satellite, Satlink WS-6979

Advertisement