CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Wireless Controller for 120-V Hoist   Next in Forum: Pop3 Mail Client Hardware
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Commentator

Location: off the beaten track, not quite whoop whoop nor humptydoo

Lost Satellite, Satlink WS-6979

12/29/2016 3:00 AM

Hi everybody,

I am attempting to remedy a satellite connection failure on a remote site. I have the alignment OK but the Satlink WS-6979 gives me the same results no matter the direction. I am attempting to find NSS-6, 12670 frequency, from a few hundred kilometres inland of Brisbane.

I have replaced the horn twice, the BUC twice, and the LNB thrice. I have made a new coax cable. I have tried two different Satlink devices. I have pulled the manifold/diplexer apart and verified no debris or insects inside. Sat Tech Support take the view that all the Satlink is showing is noise – although twice they have not a device had to look at, and twice they have had to download a manual - thus I have dubious faith. If I use a power screen – Satellite Find I get a strength between 50 to 60dB and Quality of 0, again these values are consistent no matter the direction.

I tried to add a picture but I seem to have failed :(

TIA

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

Re: Lost satellite, Satlink WS-6979

12/29/2016 3:17 AM

One of the possibilities is that the satellite has encountered 20 tons of sand travelling in a counter-orbit.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #1

12/29/2016 8:24 AM

Wasn't that the Soviets' answer to the idea of placing powerful lasers into orbit as part of Reagan's 'Star Wars' initiative? Sand? 20 tons as I recall, in a counter-rotating orbit.

Some red faces in Washington over that one. They'd become so enamoured with their high-tech they couldn't see the obvious, low-tech countermeasures.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #2

12/29/2016 4:41 PM

Dang sand storms. I have lived in those much of my life, and I hate them. I would never make on Mars, with a year long sandstorm.

In reply to #6

12/29/2016 8:38 PM

This is very amusing. I wonder if they worked out how to take out 20 tonnes of sand. Maybe get it to bond together by launching cats into it

Re: Lost Satellite, Satlink WS-6979

12/29/2016 8:38 AM

NSS-6' operational status shows as 'active' but also be aware that as of December 2016 it is at the very end of its expected operational life.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

12/29/2016 12:31 PM

I would check some other local forums to see if the problem is just you, or the satellite is experiencing technical difficulties...

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

12/29/2016 4:40 PM

Do you remember where you placed it last time you saw it?

Just kidding, sounds like you need to change both zenith and azimuth, not just azimuth...this thing does have a dish, does it not? Also the LNB needs to be oriented properly with respect to field polarization, and also at the correct focal distance, I believe.

Did you do a ringer test on the coax? That quality 0 message says to me you are indeed amplifying some noise, and not signal.

Don't bother with forums, it is just you, obviously. Or call up a buddy and have him give you signal parameters on his uplink/downlink.

In reply to #5

12/29/2016 8:35 PM

Cheers. I was not sure how much bearing the LNB polarization would effect my results. The tech info advises approx. 50 degrees yet it was at 40 degrees when I attended site and I don't have enough experience/support to know if this would be enough to give me the poor results I am seeing.

Yeah, there is a 120cm dish, 17.3 degree offset. The site was working up until about 10 weeks ago, and all hardware is still there. Haven't had any cows or goats eat anything. The installation is for data comms to a work scada system. The interwebs indicates that NSS6 also provides free to air TV so I was pondering trying to 'tune' a TV signal in the hope that this may be a little easier. Is this worth a try?

In reply to #7

12/30/2016 3:50 AM

As NSS-6 is geostationary, it should be visible at all times within its coverage footprint (those faint ovals), so what do you suppose the coloured area means in this map?

The coloured area moves around the oval throughout the day.

Even though the satellite is technically visible from all points within the oval, possibly its onboard antennae are directional and so their coverage varies as the satellite precesses/nutates? If this is the case (which seems kind of weird, though it may be a result of the satellite's being at the end of its service life and its thrusters are out of fuel/reaction wheels aren't working?), possibly your attempts to get a signal will work only when that coloured area blankets Australia?

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700
In reply to #9

12/30/2016 4:26 AM

Is that where the sand is?

In reply to #10

12/30/2016 4:30 AM

Lol! Yeah, maybe it's beached. GA

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

12/30/2016 9:34 AM

Yes. Also, inspect the dish for bird poo.

In reply to #12

12/30/2016 9:24 PM

And watch your step. Some of these Aussie birds ain't your ordinary chook. I think this kind (cassowaries) could probably eat his gear and not even notice.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (5); Chook (2); James Stewart (3); PWSlack (2); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Wireless Controller for 120-V Hoist   Next in Forum: Pop3 Mail Client Hardware

Advertisement