CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Lost Satellite, Satlink WS-6979   Next in Forum: Which Resonator Should I Choose For My Radio?
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Associate

Pop3 Mail Client Hardware

01/04/2017 10:03 PM

Hi all,

Very good morning. Happy New year Greetings.

I am looking for hardware with firmware to use only for email and email with attachment. no other programs. Is there any such hardware available in the market ?

The reason for this hardware

I want to use this hardware with Fleet one Inmarsat system. Data is so costly (1mb/12USD) we cannot afford for any data leak. Instead of installing standard PC / firewall with restricted port numbers and disabling browser and other network components, I am looking for hardware with firmware to have very limited capability so that only mails can be exchanged and no other. any suggestions??

thanks in advance.

thanks and best regards

K.Parimalam

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1586

Re: Pop3 mail client hardware

01/04/2017 10:23 PM

Tracfone.

Have you ever used a search engine?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #1

01/04/2017 10:36 PM

TracFone doesn't work at sea. Fleet One Inmarsat is used at sea where cell service is unavailable. That is why it is so expensive. Direct phone-to-satellite communications similar to Iridium.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #2

01/04/2017 10:41 PM

Hi thanks, I am using fleet one for sea only. Afraid to use normal PC with mail client. Hence looking for any simple terminal which can work as mail client. Like Vt100 terminals etc was available for telex etc and looking similar for mail client.

thanks and best regards

K.Parimalam

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

01/04/2017 10:45 PM

Have you contacted Inmarsat's support team? They may be able to advise you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #4

01/04/2017 10:49 PM

this is the new subscription, while communicating with the sales person I am not able to get this info. Not yet contacted inmarsat services, I will mail them and see. if suppose Fleet one has webmail as part of its web interface should meet my requirement and I will check with them. thanks for your time and attention.

thanks and best regards

K.Parimalam

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

01/04/2017 10:53 PM

Sorry I can't help you more, but have you considered possibly purchasing an inexpensive laptop and using that for your dedicated POP3 mail client? 300 bucks or so and probably comparable in price to dedicated hardware I should think.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #8

01/04/2017 11:00 PM

thanks, laptop with full blown OS I am trying to avoid connecting to it. Hence looking for such terminal even if works out costlier.

thanks and best regards

K.Parimalam

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

01/04/2017 11:04 PM
Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #10

01/04/2017 11:31 PM

Fleet one and KVH are similar hardware. they dont supply any terminal and we should use PC or laptop. I am trying to look if any device customized for email client alone.

thanks and best regards

K.Parimalam

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

01/04/2017 11:44 PM

Not exactly a commodity item you're looking for. I've done a number of searches and nothing turns up in the way of a dedicated hardware POP3 client.

May I suggest you pose your question on: http://stackoverflow.com/ Real sharp people there with about 6.5 million members (whereas CR4 is under 100k I think). Someone there can possibly advise you?

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #12

01/05/2017 12:05 AM

Hi Andrew,

I am so thankful to you for taking interest in helping some one in need. Highly appreciated. Sure I will post my question as per your advice. Keep it up.

thanks and best regards

K.Parimalam

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1586
In reply to #4

01/04/2017 10:51 PM

He could use the Tracfone for that.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125
In reply to #3

01/04/2017 10:52 PM

Good Answers: 23

Re: Pop3 Mail Client Hardware

01/06/2017 8:48 AM

It's a question of synonyms. When you say "hardware with firmware" what you are actually asking for is "microprocessor with operating system and programs in ROM". Now consider whether this is realistic. Just to receive emails and view them? Yes. View them, store them and reply to them? No - not only do you extend the firmware to include word processing software, but you also need RAM/floppy/flash/hard drive memory. That is even before you have software that deals with your specific data in the attachments, but already you are pretty close to specifying a PC.

Of course, you are welcome to write your own operating system and word/data processor to burn to firmware but I doubt any commercial enterprise would find it worth the bother. Instead, I suggest you turn to the route of potential "data leaks". If your Inmarsat connection is a potential route then you are lost anyway. If your putative leak is via the rest of your network then the answer is obvious: you have one special-purpose PC which is never connected to anything except Inmarsat and you never share flash drives between your regular network and your Inmarsat machine.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 35

Re: Pop3 Mail Client Hardware

01/06/2017 10:51 AM

What you want is to compile your own Linux with only those functions built in.

Disable the CD, flash, usb etc. by not including them in the custom kernel.

It will take a couple of days to do it, but once done, you can duplicate the drive and pop it into whatever other units you have.

You can also do this on RaspberryPi and make it cheap.

Just Google "raspberry Pi custom Linux kernel"

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (5); Deefburger (1); lyn (2); parimalam (5); phph001 (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Lost Satellite, Satlink WS-6979   Next in Forum: Which Resonator Should I Choose For My Radio?

Advertisement