CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Pop3 Mail Client Hardware   Next in Forum: Switching Regulator Controller
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Which Resonator Should I Choose For My Radio?

01/09/2017 1:41 AM

Hello

I want to design a mini radio, as it is one of my homework..

But as I don't quite clearly know about the resonators, I want to ask for your help.

I have checked online and found some ceramic resonators, and chose this one: CSBLA400KECE-B0 .(Click the datasheet for your reference: CSBLA400KECE-B0.pdf ) Now can anyone ansewer me the following questions:

1.What are the advantages and disadvantages of this type if I use it in my radio?

2.Some one will use quartz crystal resonators when designing communication equipment, is it OK for me to use ceramic resonator rather than the crystal one?

3.Do you have any other choice of the resonator?

Any suggestion will be appreciated!Thank you very much !

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 115

Re: Which resonator should I choose for my radio?

01/09/2017 1:55 AM

Quartz-based oscillators are more accurate and more frequency-stable over temperature than ceramic-resonator-based oscillators. Quartz-based oscillators typically use less current than their ceramic-resonator counterparts for the same frequency. On the plus side ceramic resonators are cheaper. If you want a rock-solid frequency reference, go with quartz. If you can tolerate a little slop, go with a ceramic resonator.

As you're a student, try them both and see how they differ. Make that part of your education.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Participant

In reply to #1

01/09/2017 2:14 AM

Thanks for ur suggestion!

I'll try both of them and make a distinction.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #2

01/09/2017 2:23 AM

You're welcome! Have fun!

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

Re: Which Resonator Should I Choose For My Radio?

01/09/2017 11:04 AM

Most small radios use small ceramic bandpass filters to select the portion they pass, usually 6Khz in small AM radios, large in FM, if they are FM or NBFM. Single side band and CW signals need narrower filters, and often crystal filters are used with 100 Hz selectivity.

lotsa data simple superheterodyne AM radio

Good Answers: 576
In reply to #4

01/12/2017 2:59 PM

Good point. If the resonator is for the IF section, the audio output bandwidth will be about 1/2 the IF bandwidth (assuming AM), so a ceramic resonator will provide a larger audio output bandwidth. On the other hand, the wider the IF bandwidth, the less selective the radio will be.

On the other hand, the wider the IF bandwidth, the less selective the radio will be in suppressing adjacent stations. It's all a tradeoff.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

01/09/2017 12:10 PM

Use the one in your pocket, but filter it accordingly.

Good Answers: 23

01/10/2017 7:07 AM

It depends on what you want your radio to receive. If you want to receive a single frequency then either crystal or ceramic resonator is appropriate, depending on the frequency stability you want, but if you want to receive broadcasts over a wider range of frequencies then you will need a variable frequency oscillator for a superset design.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 89

01/17/2017 3:14 PM

Why would you want 400 kHz?

You have not clarified if you need a resonator for an oscillator or as a filter to separate the desired signal from adjacent ones.

The device you reference is designed as an oscillator and the data given is sparse. Used as a filter, it may have too narrow a bandwidth.

Is your receiver to work at the received frequency - TRF Tuned Radio Frequency or with conversion to an intermediate frequency - superheterodyne? Or another method.

TRF would give the simplest method for AM radio.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

67model (1); afdsgag123 (1); Andrew Westman (2); aurizon (1); James Stewart (1); phph001 (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Pop3 Mail Client Hardware   Next in Forum: Switching Regulator Controller

Advertisement