CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Low-Cost Spectral Imaging on the Horizon   Next in Forum: South Korea Robot: Designer Insists Massive Method-2 is Real
Close
Close
Close
35 comments
Active Contributor

Pneumatic/Hydraulic Connector

01/10/2017 11:42 AM

Hello people, I have invented and hold the patent on a hydraulic/pneumatic connector. This connector will perform perfectly with any material pipe,tube or hose with no leaks possible. Here is the question, what market needs this sort of thing the most? I am trying to get this into the market place as soon as possible to help as many people as I can. Imagine the energy and environmental savings as well as money saved from a gas or liquid system that will never leak. Thanks folks!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

Re: Pneumatic/hydraulic connector

01/10/2017 11:45 AM

In reply to #1

01/10/2017 12:14 PM

9429260b2

The prototype that has been pressure-tested to 150 psi with no leaks looks different than the patent drawing; however, it incorporates all the design principles and methods. I hold the patent on the design and methods.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #3

01/12/2017 10:40 PM

The pictures don't load.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #24

01/12/2017 10:54 PM

Try this: US20130299025

The fundamental flaw is the space penalty paid for the improved seal.

Also the added part count could invite more opportunities for failure.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #26

01/12/2017 11:11 PM

Thanks, that works.

Register to Reply
Guru

01/10/2017 11:50 AM

I've never seen a forklift that didn't leak oil.

You need to contact hose makers, OEMs, and distributors of hydraulic systems.

It's homework time.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #2

01/10/2017 12:15 PM

Thank you!

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #2

01/12/2017 10:37 PM

That's true, if a hydraulic device doesn't leak, that's a good indication that there is no hydraulic fluid in it.

However, the pressures in hydraulic systems can be over 5K psi, his testing was only to 150 psi.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 340

01/10/2017 12:45 PM

To answer your question on markets: any and every type of construction, industrial, and agricultural equipment that requires hydraulics.

I just began to review your sketches and description on how this connector operates and its benefits. Just trying to cypher how your connector works (if it's a permanent or a quick-type connector, etc.)

The problem I see is that it's a 150 PSI rating test. Hydraulics on equipment can go as high as and exceed 3,000 PSI. It eliminates that.

But there still is pneumatics.

The markets for pneumatics connectors there is control equipment and processes (packing, food processing, automation, etc.).

In reply to #5

01/10/2017 12:48 PM

The design can be either a quick connector or a lock/permanent connection.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #5

01/10/2017 12:50 PM

I would be honored if you would find a design flaw that would show a leak potential at any pressure.

Thanks.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

01/10/2017 12:52 PM

Well, we're a critical bunch, so I'd hold off on that honor stuff.

I'm looking into that, as well as others I'm sure.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #7

01/10/2017 1:51 PM

Sandia's Z-machine compresses water in excess of 120,000 atmospheres. Its core temperature can reach 6.6 billion degrees F. You may wish to take your fitting there to qualify it. We can talk Nobel prizes later.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #9

01/10/2017 1:54 PM

You're awesome!

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 754
In reply to #7

01/10/2017 2:42 PM

If the material is too thin, the whole thing can burst (I didn't look to see if you did any calculations).

In reply to #11

01/10/2017 2:43 PM

On a patent, it's not necessary. Neither is it to actually work in practicality.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 754
In reply to #12

01/10/2017 3:49 PM

You sound like the perfect market for his/her wares.

In reply to #13

01/10/2017 5:15 PM

Don't know where your going with this, but enjoy yourself.

Guru

In reply to #12

01/10/2017 5:36 PM

"Not necessary...... to actually work in practicality."

But it is necessary to produce a viable product if sales are the desired result.

All a patent does is enrich lawyers.

They make money when they write the application and they make even more if the owner of the patent feels his patent has been infringed upon.

First just by writing a cease and desist letter.

Then a rebuttal to the response to C&D letter.

Then a threat to sue letter.

Then by filing a legal action.

Then, finally by going to court and arguing the case.

By then some off shore company has already come to market with an identical product with some minute "improvement" and the original patent owner will be left with a huge legal bill and be chasing an already maturing market for his product.

First to market beats first to file when going to the bank at the end of the day.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Active Contributor

In reply to #15

01/10/2017 5:42 PM

You are absolutely correct.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

Re: Pneumatic/Hydraulic Connector

01/11/2017 2:55 PM

You need a money backer, to bankroll production, or this goes nowhere fast. Market is to industrial supply houses, agricultural supply centers, home improvement??, and some other markets, such as tractor-trailer accessories.

Your product may encounter some other hurdles, the least of which are codes for approved parts on transportation equipment, tractors, general farm equipment, industrial lift equipment, etc. You best make sure your legal team has your six.

In reply to #17

01/11/2017 3:26 PM

Thank you. I would welcome any assistance in getting this accomplished. It's funny how you have something that really would make a difference in alot of ways but are limited by opportunity. This is sincerely my dream.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #18

01/11/2017 4:22 PM

You know your own banker better than I do.

You know who your cheerleaders are.

You know who you might want on your legal team (and you will need).

I would not spread my focus too wide early on, but focus on markets that meet your product as it exists now, without materially changing the conditions of fabrication.

Fortunately, there is a lot of process air, water, etc. that falls into the 150 psig limit.

I suppose you have worked out bugs as far as lockout/tagout ability? I assume you have introduced a means to prevent hazardous release of pressure (spray etc.) upon disconnection?

In reply to #19

01/11/2017 4:41 PM

James, thank you so much for taking the time to offer your guidance. Yes we have addressed the pressure release on disconnection and have that accounted for. I have a coupler manufacturer that wants to test the prototype. Very positive about that situation. I have also submitted an abstract to the DOE for a funding opportunity that is being reviewed currently. There will be articles about me and my technology coming out in a couple of months in a medical device magazine as well as an industry specific magazine. Both will help things along I think.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

01/12/2017 8:29 AM

Sounds like you are already navigating your ship in a good course. May the gods of business put wind in your sails, may your raids be successful, and have no fear. In the end you will dine with Odin the hall of valor.

In reply to #21

01/12/2017 9:29 AM

Thank you James.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #18

01/12/2017 11:09 PM

Why look for markets and financing for production?

There are plenty of fittings manufacturers with money, equipment, factory space and employees. Sell them your idea and they can manufacture and sell to their existing client base. Your invention gets exposure, it gets into the hands of people who need it and you get some cash out of the deal all without ever making one device yourself.

They may try to cheat you by saying "no thanks" and then making their own based on your ideas, this is where you need some legal counsel before going in with a proposal.

If you manufacture and market it yourself, the competition is going to develop their own based on your idea anyway. They have the power of an existing customer base, capital and a sharp legal department.

I would peddle it to several manufacturers and see who bites the hardest. Then take your money and use it to live on while you dream up a new product.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 8

01/12/2017 10:44 PM

Why not check out potential medical applications?

01/12/2017 11:12 PM

Hi Brother,

First thing that comes to my mind is, what liquids or gases or solids are transported thru piping of any composition. More importantly what is the largest area's of transportation of these movable products? If your on my wave length water is huge.

Just think of the quantity of water moved by humankind on a daily basis. undefinable, however, mind boggling. Does any person, corporation, municipal, or any body desire a water leak. Usually the leak causes quite a bit of exponential problems, as a result. I would next look at the other parts of human activity that score high in transportation of materials that your connector can alleviate initial problems, and exponential problems, and expenses. I believe this is your fertile ground for cultivation. When you need to call serve-pro its to late for inexpensive insurance, like a leak proof fitting. Insurance companies might even give your users a premium break on price, do to low, or due to no associated claims, due to water damage, associated with leaks involving joinery of piping. Correct me if i am in error, isn't the joint more vulnerable, to failure, than the continuous structure.

Dennis

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #29

01/13/2017 10:21 AM

Awesome idea

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 117

01/13/2017 5:13 AM

You have developed a product for a market that is already satisfied by many established suppliers. In the low value, high volume sector male/female connector pairs are manufactured for less than $1. Stiff competition means that marketing consumes nearly as much sales revenue as manufacturing and the margins are tiny. The wide range of competitors already in the market cover pressures from a few psi to 50,000psi and can provide adequate sealing for a whole range of gasses/liquids. A few extreme applications such as very high/low temperatures, very small/large size or exotic materials that will cope with corrosive products, do attract large margins but the volumes sold are so small that it would be impossible to create a viable business catering for this sector alone.

There are millions of patented solutions looking for a problem. No product sells unless it satisfies a customer demand either better, cheaper or more reliably than the product already in use. Some of the most lucrative patents create a demand that the market didn't previously know it needed. Your product does not do this. My advice is not to spend any further money on this product, write off your existing expenditure to experience and next time find a market before you spend time and money creating a product.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #30

01/13/2017 10:32 AM

You did not spend any time reviewing my patent. I'm sorry for this. Please accept your negative energy back as a gift for deeper understanding.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #33

01/13/2017 6:12 PM

Hi Gregory, I also have patented products and you will need proper guidance from a government department. In most countries, there is usually a governmental department who deal with innovation development programmes that deal closely on a one to one basis. I would check this out as it can save you time and money on who and what to expect and 'Business Angles' and 'Shark Tanks'.

Having looked at your innovation, I am unsure how the supply/discharge hosing is attached and how they are retained. The bladders would help seal the outer skin of the tubing but this would only work in a properly cleaned and maintained feed/discharge lines.

Here in Australia, there is a https://www.hoselink.com.au/view/hoselink-no-burst-hose-fittings/ for water but the most rugged, especially underground mine regulation approved, is the 'Minsup' range of 1.000psi for air,water,fuel,hydraulic oils, gases etc. https://www.blackwoods.com.au/search/couplings-minsup/working-pressure-psi-1000/207878568/4294628527 give the range. These are safety snapped "Surelock" fittings and have been used in the mining industry for as long as I can remember back before 1950s. The sealing is done on the face to face 'Buna-n' seal and the more pressure, the faces are pressured more heavily together with out leaking. Minsup is 'unisex' not requiring male/female componentry. It is used in the most horrendous of conditions without failing. The discharge hose end is fitted with a ball/gate/bladder valve and sometimes with a pressure bleed relief from the discharge side to enable disconnection of the 'Surelock' from contained high pressure lines and or attached service line hosing to stop contamination getting into the service lines. All fittings can a be fitted with a stainless steel wire mesh behind the 'Buna Seals' to prevent ingression of contaminates into the lines.

Hope this helps.

01/13/2017 7:25 AM

We really need more information about your connector to determine markets. I'm sure there is a need for any device that helps save money.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 44

01/13/2017 11:28 AM

I can see three or four issues with the design.

1. I would expect failures over time due to the mechanical joining method between the two connector halves. Some mechanical clearance is required to allow assembly and disassembly of the connector. The latching feature and the seals between the connector halves will wear and eventually leak or mechanically fail. Movement of the connector halves will lead to fretting wear.

2. Unless you use some sort of assembly adhesive between the tube and the inner wall of the bladder, I would expect you will have a problem with blowout of the incoming tube due to the force generated by the cross sectional area of the tube. The larger diameter the tube is, the greater the blowout force. If no adhesive is used, then peak pressure capacity will be limited by the coefficient of friction between the tube outer wall and the bladder inner wall. If adhesive is used, then the shear strength of the adhesive will limit maximum pressure.

3. The working pressure will be limited by the strength of the exterior of the bladder under the hoop stress of the internal pressure as well as the tensile strength of the bladder under tube blowout loading.

4. Movement of the tubing entering the bladder will result in fatigue and fretting of the bladder around the tube and at the housing. This is a likely source of leakage.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 35 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (1); Buck1nh (1); Casper71 (1); Gregory Johnson (11); holmesga (1); James Stewart (3); jhhassociates (1); Jpfalt (1); lyn (3); merk (4); phoenix911 (4); SolarEagle (1); tecmate (1); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Low-Cost Spectral Imaging on the Horizon   Next in Forum: South Korea Robot: Designer Insists Massive Method-2 is Real

Advertisement