CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Separator   Next in Forum: Antifreeze Smells Like Ammonia
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 32

Battery Cell Recycling

01/14/2017 8:07 AM

I have observed that in Europe and many other countries, batter cells have their own bins for disposing off.

In India, still we do not have (unfortunately). Batter cells are thrown in normal waste (I am not sure if it is in dry waste or organic wet waste.

I wish I start such moment and awareness in common public. But, I am not sure how these can be recycled.

Can any one let me now, how batter cells are recycled? May be I can guide some one to start business of cell recycling.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Battery Cells recycling
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

Re: Battery Cell Recycling

01/14/2017 8:32 AM
Guru

Good Answers: 771

01/14/2017 1:17 PM

Starting with actually collecting them buy setting up collection points in convenient locations helps. Paying for them helps even more.

After you have enough finding places that require them as raw source stock for whatever they do like make new batteries as a buyer is a good idea.

Personally we have battery collection locations all over the place where I live but being none pay anything let alone a value I find to be worth my time almost all of my old batteries go in the trash to be burned with everything else.

The only exception to that is large lead acid starting batteries which are of value for their core exchange reimbursement towards the purchase of a new battery which works out to be about 10% of the new batteries cost and the now near full 5 gallon bucket full of junk NICad cells I have accumulated from rebuilding cordless tool battery packs over the last year or two.

Given that if I could get 10% back for my other dead batteries I would probably make the effort to recycle them too but since I can't I don't.

I don't know what I will do with all the NiCad cells but if I don't find a buyer who pays a respectable price they will eventually end up getting dumped in some random dumpster behind some business in town and ultimately put in the landfill or I may just bury them out here some place with a bunch of other stuff that needs to disappear on the cheap whenever I do a fair sized dirt work project someplace.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196

01/15/2017 2:50 AM

Certain types of batteries have chemicals in them, that you don't want in the ground of the country where you live, as it could end up affecting your grandchildren and later.

You simply do not want to poison the earth, that may need to be cultivated in the future.

You don't want the poisons to leach into the water supply tomorrow either.

There are probably even more reasons that you simply don't want to burn them either and just send the poison into the air and into all living creatures that breathe it!

Best of luck.

Guru

Good Answers: 21

01/15/2017 10:01 AM
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 5)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #4

01/15/2017 10:12 AM

A great post.

GA

I learnt a lot!! Thanks

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #4

01/15/2017 11:44 AM

Excellent Post. I assume that as costs for processing are reduced more competing companies will enter the recycling market and the issue will resolve itself.

In reply to #6

01/15/2017 5:07 PM

As in all business venture the cost of setting up, collecting he batteries, purchasing equipment to process the batteries, metal pricing, etc., is not worth the investment, so...... it will still be landfill product.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #7

01/16/2017 12:09 PM

If it is still a landfill product, why they collect it separately in Europe, separate from other landfill products?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

01/16/2017 12:20 PM

Because, as I have mentioned already, it poisons landfills for possibly thousands of years.

There are nasty chemicals and metals like Mercury in some battery types....

Even old fashioned LA Car batteries have a large amount of lead, which the Romans used a lot of, and where they worked the metal, the poisoned earth can still be found in archeological digs today.....

I had lead poisoning as a 4 year old, it really isn't funny.....even your s**t turns bright blue I seem to remember!!!

Bluebloods have nothing on me!!!

In reply to #8

01/16/2017 1:08 PM

Simple. Countries such as Sweden and other Nordic countries use general rubbish for burning for boilers that provide heating to communities, and throwing batteries into furnaces, or metals is not a smart idea. But, Oh yes there is a but, the metals are collected, or rather properly put, the metals, general rubbish from gardens, scrap heaps are collected very separately in skips provided by the councils. That which can be burned for heating is burned for boiler heating. Garden refuse is turned into fertilisers, Metal is sold for its scarp value to a dealer who them ships the batteries off to China along with computer items for recycling.

Yep, where labour is cheaper, where the mess is in another country and the unemployed find ingenious ways to strip the components of the batteries. You are talking about tonnes of batteries and not the small heaps that are not economical to process.

https://sweden.se/nature/the-swedish-recycling-revolution/

They also pay at most supermarkets for your scrap cans and plastic bottles, SEK1.00 for can and SEK1.00 and Ore 0.50 for other plastic bottles, so they have less land fill, more people cleaning up voluntarily to make money so people take a keen interest and less plastics in furnaces.

Australia does a similar reimbursement in some states such as S Australia, but the world at large offers nothing, so there is no incentive to westerners to do this collective clean up.

I believe the going rate for household batteries is around $50/tonne, Do your calculations and you may discover with fluctuating prices for metal the cost versus profit is not worth the hassle. Yes, include storage, collection, changing metal pricesof the items and see how profitable it might be.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-08-29/to-a-chinese-scrap-metal-hunter-americas-trash-is-treasure

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Andy Germany (3); gsuhas (1); IQ (3); JPool (1); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Separator   Next in Forum: Antifreeze Smells Like Ammonia

Advertisement