CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: South Korea Robot: Designer Insists Massive Method-2 is Real   Next in Forum: Low Capacitance Coupling in Mains Step-Down Transformers
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Power-User
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Old member.  Heidi;  need to develop paper glider technique.  Use to

Hedi

01/16/2017 12:39 AM

Is there a point where the twist of the protein chain starts alzheimers? Look at all the data in the handbook for chemists and engineers.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753

Re: Hedi

01/16/2017 12:46 AM

Almost surely there will be no such sharp dividing line. "Regular" chemistry and engineering will probably not get you very far; biochem might be a bit better.

Good Answers: 73

01/16/2017 1:12 AM

I don't think the OP remembers the lukewarm response to her last inquiry.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Old member.  Heidi;  need to develop paper glider technique.  Use to

In reply to #2

01/16/2017 11:07 AM

Our dog was called Heidi. Unfortunely sp he drowned while we were on vacation. We were at the swinging bridge when we heard the sad news. Heidi's caretaker was very good but she made the mistake of going to a movie and leaving Heidi in the back yard. Boy, that is a typical mistake I might make. I like to swim three free style laps and one buterfly and end up reading the Tarzan books. Tarzan is really Lord Greystone you knofw. Our pool resembels sp a lake, about 30 feet long.

\I started something to eat on the stove while my wife was taking lessons for court reporting. Then the stove caught afire. I do not know how I put out the fire, but I did. I called my wife and told her the fire was out. You might say, that freaked her out. Thank God she drove safely back to Palo Alto from Frisco (San Francisco).

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #3

01/16/2017 12:17 PM

My heart goes out to you.

My puff of a pup "Wrigley" is the sweetest thing on four legs. Unsure of how old he is, but sure that he's aging I just hosted our poker game. For the sign on the table I changed it from "Texas Hold 'Em" to "Wrigley Hold 'Em" I couldn't bring myself to ask everyone to give the guy a little hug.

..The Wrig Pig also loves to jump in water and swim. It could happen in a moment to anyone.

Good Answers: 1140

01/16/2017 11:19 AM

"Alzheimer’s disease (AD), the leading cause of dementia worldwide, is characterized by the accumulation of the β-amyloid peptide (Aβ) within the brain along with hyperphosphorylated and cleaved forms of the microtubule-associated protein tau. Genetic, biochemical, and behavioral research suggest that physiologic generation of the neurotoxic Aβ peptide from sequential amyloid precursor protein (APP) proteolysis is the crucial step in the development of AD."...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3174086/

The cause and cure for Alzheimer's is not known....even diagnosis is difficult....

..."Amyloid plaques are found in the spaces between the brain’s nerve cells. They were first described by Dr. Alois Alzheimer in 1906. Plaques consist of largely insoluble deposits of an apparently toxic protein peptide, or fragment, called beta-amyloid.

We now know that some people develop some plaques in their brain tissue as they age. However, the AD brain has many more plaques in particular brain regions. We still do not know whether amyloid plaques themselves cause AD or whether they are a by-product of the AD process. We do know that genetic mutations can increase production of beta-amyloid and can cause rare, inherited forms of AD (see "Genes and Early-Onset Alzheimer’s Disease" for more on inherited AD)."...

https://www.nia.nih.gov/alzheimers/publication/part-2-what-happens-brain-ad/hallmarks-ad

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Heidi (1); JE in Chicago (2); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: South Korea Robot: Designer Insists Massive Method-2 is Real   Next in Forum: Low Capacitance Coupling in Mains Step-Down Transformers

Advertisement