CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Oak Island   Next in Forum: Biofuel Consumption and Effect on Earth's Rotation and Orbit
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Guru

Good Answers: 73

Sphinx - How Old?

01/20/2017 12:11 PM

Who's correct. The Egyptology 'experts' or those who belive it's much older.

It certainly has a disproportionate head with less weathering when compared to the body.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 340

Re: Sphinx - how old?

01/20/2017 12:24 PM

I have to believe Robert Shoch. He gives a very compelling theory that actually holds water so to speak. And that the Sphinx is a lot older than previous thought. Just based on his background in geology.

He pointed out that evidence that the erosion around the sphinx as well as the Sphinx itself shows that the age of the Sphinx is older than previous thought.

I enjoyed his documentary's on the subject. Unfortunately, it doesn't follow the Egyptian talking points. Which I believe are also corrupt Egyptian officials.

I used to like this Egyptian Archeologist Zahi Hawass and 1st Egyptian Minister of Antiquities, but the more I hear of the dealing and self enrichment Its probably the Egyptian culture, I lost a lot of respect for him.

The Egyptian ministry really tries to shut Professor Shoch down, because it really destroys the current Egyptian heritage.

'

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #1

01/20/2017 3:27 PM

I am no fan of Dr. Hawass any more. The facade is fading. That does not mean I swallow whatever else is readily offered up.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #20

01/20/2017 3:38 PM

I used to enjoy listening to Dr. Hawass 15-20 years ago.

About 2-3 years ago, Dr Schoh had offered an promotional vacation tour to Egypt with him and he'd give a personal tour for the group.

My girlfriend just loves him and she wanted to go. (her daughter is also a geologist and environmental engineer). It would have been great to go, I always wanted to go and see the Pyramids, but at the time, the Mideast were going through the 'Arab Spring' . And I told my girlfriend its not worth losing your head over.

In reply to #20

01/28/2017 5:22 PM

Wow, what a mess...

I was just talking to my girl friend, and she was listening to Hugh Lynn Cayce (tapes), (Hugh Lynn Cayce is Edward Cayce son) and my girlfriend just told me , (btw, I have to verify this controversy, but it exists) that Hugh Lynn and Hawass knew each other and Hugh Lynn had worked to arrange Hawass a college scholarship. And there is a rift between Hawass and Hugh Lynn. Small world ehhh,.

you ever open a lid to a box, only to realize it when it's too late and that it was Pandora's. I have, many a times.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #107

01/30/2017 9:45 AM

But at first, it appeared such a lovely, attractive box...

In reply to #108

01/30/2017 9:47 AM

lol,... that was the hook... now reel 'em in.....

In reply to #109

01/30/2017 10:03 AM

Usually it is people reeling me into an argument. Not today, I just remind them they are going to pop a vein...

In reply to #107

01/31/2017 9:41 PM

If the 'Hall of Records' were found to exist in 2064? Why wait!? oh yes.. we have to be at peace? to enter the "Age of Aquarius" ..an another 1000 years of peace? It all sounds divine, but it also sounds a bit like old timey 'science'. I hear the earth is also hollow and filled with nazi's and aliens and alien nazie's. Perhaps they'll be the 5th race?

The hall records will be located and excavated. It will contain a box labeled: 10 Million years of earth history / property of Pandora

Thanks to you and you gf for turning me onto this bunk! Reminds me of way back when and Art Bell on WLS late on a Sunday night.

I confess i haven't listened to any "sleeping profit" recordings. ..yet. waiting for a long drive or something. but the back stories I've read are clever.. Perhaps the toying of an unchallenged mind does a prophet/provocateur make?

In reply to #111

02/01/2017 6:38 AM

Thanks to you and you gf for turning me onto this bunk! Reminds me of way back when and Art Bell on WLS late on a Sunday night.

Save yourself, it's too late for me. It does lure you in, in April she's going to one of their lectures in Chicago, I'm going with her, only because to me, it's fringes on a cult.

but the documentation on Cayce it makes it,.. hard to ignore.

My girlfriend does like to look at things that are oddly interesting, some good some ahhhh. We want to go to the University of Wisconsin Open lecture called 'University Place'. It's is shown on PBS, and they have a wide variety of topics.

In reply to #112

02/01/2017 11:38 AM

The artifacts of Egypt are precisely 4623.410 years old, and increasing. If you believe that bunch of hockey, I have some more crap for sale in the back behind the curtain.

In reply to #113

02/01/2017 4:08 PM

I said it's interesting, never said I believed it. But, I did agree with Dr. Schoh

In reply to #114

02/02/2017 10:31 AM

I agree with Dr. Scholl - I be gellin'

In reply to #115

02/03/2017 11:14 PM

har -d- har .. that a true lol

In reply to #112

02/03/2017 11:19 PM

... maybe let me know about dat ting in chicago. I'm always looking for something to weird out my lady with.

..Unless of course is some really weird lecure for 12 in some random basement. enjoy

In reply to #117

02/04/2017 10:59 AM

Sure, I think it's coming up in April. I'm only going for 2 reason, first I'm somewhat curious, and the second,... I'm leary to let my girlfriend go alone.

Good Answers: 1598

01/20/2017 12:44 PM

What I've read indicated to me (of course I am often wrong) that they are 4,500 years old.

ADMIN: Portion of Post Deleted

Politics/Religion: This post was deleted because it was overly religious or political. While each user is entitled to his or her own opinion on these topics, this forum is not the place for discussion about them. Please review Section 14 of the Site FAQ and the Rules of Conduct.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 7)
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #2

01/20/2017 1:13 PM

ADMIN: Deleted Post

Irrelevant This post was deleted because it is related to a deleted post and would otherwise be taken out of context.

In reply to #3

01/20/2017 1:54 PM

Irrelevant This post was deleted because it is related to a deleted post and would otherwise be taken out of context.

In reply to #5

01/20/2017 1:57 PM

Politics/Religion: This post was deleted because it was overly religious or political. While each user is entitled to his or her own opinion on these topics, this forum is not the place for discussion about them. Please review Section 14 of the Site FAQ and the Rules of Conduct.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #6

01/20/2017 2:00 PM

Abuse/Attack: This post was deleted because it was an attack on another user. Please review the Site FAQ and the Rules of Conduct.

In reply to #2

01/20/2017 3:34 PM

In reply to #22

01/20/2017 4:06 PM

Not to mention, he was a novice historian and/or google master. Which we all are including lyn. But it served lyn's purpose to go nuclear (i.e. political).

have to tread lightly... moderators don't care for the new administration.

In reply to #22

01/20/2017 4:34 PM

I always thought they were both roughly the same age.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #22

01/21/2017 9:53 AM

Aw come on Admin! All these deleted posts just when it was getting interesting

In reply to #40

01/21/2017 9:57 AM

Lol,... even though wlmfire was just asking a question about grain storage in the Sphinx from lyns false response (Mix of political)? The following posts was to some what clear it up.

dont know why they deleted that.

I just gave wlmfire a good answer... because it was a good question that needed clearing up. Just like this one. It clears up the wrong info.

I don't know why they deleted it... probably because initially Lyn tried to mix in political spin.

btw, you may have missed the moderators pouting response with trump directed at the most of the members deleted responses, which they promptly deleted and then deleted the forementioned post.

soooo... you didn't miss much

Good Answers: 246
In reply to #41

01/21/2017 12:16 PM

It is kind of interesting how it escalated (from only the titles provided by admin for the deletes).

'Irrelevant'

'Political/religious'

'Abusive'+'Political/religious'

I mean it's kind of a challenge. Really tempting. But I will refrain from trying to continue the trend of admin deletes in this post.

In reply to #45

01/21/2017 1:06 PM

I agree... you don't want to po the moderators... (oh, oh... too late ) but that won't stop me from pointing it out.

In reply to #41

01/21/2017 1:13 PM

I do have to confess, my question was also a right handed poke at lyn and his political post.

In reply to #47

01/21/2017 3:09 PM

Oh, oh...you took a poke at lyn with a question for the truth? by liberal standards that makes us bullies. As well as sexist, nazis,... well you get the picture.

In reply to #48

01/21/2017 4:31 PM

well then there's nothing to worry about.. They're moderates.

In reply to #49

01/22/2017 2:29 AM

yeah, in name only.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 11

01/20/2017 1:52 PM

It is very possible that the Sphinx was started as the (sculpting) of a (rock outcrop) by a (pre-pharaoh-nic civilization) some ten to twelve thousand years ago...

On the other hand, the (cladding brick-work) appears to be rather refined, in comparison to some Egyptian stonework done about (only) 5,000 years ago, when some mastabas were still being made out of mud...

Also, ground-penetrating radar has revealed a hidden room (about 25 feet?) below the ground surface between the front (legs) of the Sphinx. Until Egyptian authorities open that room, another benchmark of it's age remains only a vague guess...

So, maybe the more meaningful question should be,

''What are the ages of which Sphinx ?''...

In reply to #4

01/20/2017 1:57 PM

Yes there is more than one,... but, I believe that the intent would be the most prominent one next to the 3 pyramids

Good Answers: 1141

Re: Sphinx - How Old?

01/20/2017 2:09 PM

Chinese copy....

...it's a bank vault....

..I just wish somebody would fix the nose....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/riddles-sphinx.html

In reply to #9

01/20/2017 2:15 PM

it was a wonderful nose.... cha, cha, cha....

Good Answers: 1141
In reply to #10

01/20/2017 2:25 PM

No wonder they broke it off,, it was an affrontement to the sensitivities...

In reply to #11

01/20/2017 2:32 PM

Napoleon Bonaparte: Take a little more off the nose, and it will look like me.

French Stone Mason: Oops!

In reply to #12

01/20/2017 3:14 PM

Watch it, buster!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

01/20/2017 3:27 PM

I like it,... kinda looks like me.

In reply to #19

01/20/2017 3:36 PM

How it happened...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

01/25/2017 12:21 PM

Looks like the poor (lost ?) little dog has found it's own version of (social media) ? ...

In reply to #10

01/23/2017 1:30 PM

... and ''Good night, Mrs. Calabash, where ever you are''...

In reply to #10

01/23/2017 1:37 PM

aka, ''the Schnazz''...

...and ''(goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are...)''

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mrs.+calabash+wherever+you+are&qpvt=mrs.+calabash+wherever+you+are&FORM=VDRE

In reply to #76

01/23/2017 1:48 PM

I forgot about that line.

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #77

01/23/2017 2:23 PM

This is a spare, free underline if you want it, ____________. I also can offer a dashed line to anyone who can make use of it. All free to good homes, ----------------.

One should never venture forward without a spare line. They come in handy when you don't have one.

____------_____------ Sqiggly line $0.99 each.

$___£----€_-_-_¥____ Line of credit $5.99 each.

Line in the Sand at blow away prices.

...Hahahahahah... Laugh line. Free with each purchase.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #78

01/23/2017 2:27 PM

I'll take

• (2) ____
  • (1) -----
  • (7) __------_____---
  • (5) $___£----€_-_-_¥____

I have some of these old ~~~~~~~ There rarely used. how much will you give me for a trade in?

In reply to #79

01/23/2017 2:51 PM

DOUBLE WAVIES! Wawo, These are so rare, and they alternate too! Oh I am so excited I am besides myself, look there I am, Hello!

I am considering a line of credit for your Double Wavies. Deal? No Deal?

Sir, you order has been placed and will be delivered by Direct Line: →→→ within a time line, ⇔ suitable for the next drone flight to; Please provide delivery address in your next line. Your next line here: (....∫ This is a space line∫....) Or you can put it here if you so wish, → (---) ←.

Would you have any dropped lines at all? Out of stock on quirky lines, dropped lines, end lines and wash lines. I have a few end of lines but they came to a stop.

Cheers for the banter.

Guru

In reply to #78

01/23/2017 2:58 PM

As long as we don't have to stand a long time (in line). Yellow eyes, and all.

I found a bunch of these out in the lay down yard:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

========================================================

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I know they are surplus, but I just like them still.

In reply to #81

01/23/2017 3:06 PM

I find those on the street... and I keep on walking.

In reply to #81

01/23/2017 3:07 PM

Nice collection. Why is your yard lying down? Is it not well?

Guru

In reply to #83

01/23/2017 3:13 PM

lay down yard is where we store metal. It really does no favors for boiler steel here in sandy West Texas.

In reply to #84

01/23/2017 3:23 PM

In Wisconsin, we call that a Bone yard. But is new and used metal and process equipment.

In reply to #85

01/23/2017 4:18 PM

Bone yard is also equivalent, but usually that is on farms where no attempts are made to eliminate the bone yard being overgrown with saplings and weeds. A lay down yard is usually caliche' soil (to make it extra boggy during inclement weather) maybe overlaid with gravel. It is sprayed with weed killer enough times to turn the ground black eventually (not), but the weeds are kept under control.

In reply to #86

01/23/2017 5:02 PM

I was raised in a farm, we never used that until I started working at the shipyard.

first time I used it on the farm on description of our bone yard, my dad laughed at it.

In reply to #86

01/23/2017 5:28 PM

It sounds like a typical UK garden, minus the weed killer. People find cars and kids and long lost pets in that lot. Grannies have been known to go out and hang out the washing and never return. Kids go out to play in the back garden and take sandwiches, a flask of tea and a SAT Nav in case they get lost trying to find their way back.

Guru

In reply to #9

01/20/2017 2:42 PM

Odd that the front paws do not show comparable (rainwater) weathering? These would have been part of the original carving, no?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

01/20/2017 2:46 PM

Unless they were carved at a later date.

In reply to #14

01/20/2017 3:08 PM

True - and that is of course a reasonable possibility - but wouldn't it be more likely that if they had gone to the effort of carving most of the lion, they would have included the feet as well? Does the floor of the pit appear to be as recently-carved as the paws, or newer? Were they carved out of the bedrock as well? He said the pit "leaked like a sieve" and so water-weathering on the pit floor should be apparent as well; smoothing of crack edges and so forth. I've a mind to contact this guy and explore the topic with him a bit.

Thanks for posting his theory, btw. I'd not heard of his work before this.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

01/20/2017 3:24 PM

How the sphinx is sitting, and the erosion from the back, I have to say yes, they would have carved it all out at once.

As I understand it, The face may not be the original one... some say, it may have a beard of the earlier pharaohs...

Also keep in mind, that the sphinx had a number of restorations... the paws could be newer replacement carvings. As I recall one of the earlier restorations was a big failure and actually damaged it more.

Also, people did not realize that it was a complete Sphinx, I believe it was the French who came across it (Napoleon?). And it was only the head of the Sphinx sticking out of the sand. And was later excavated.

btw, If I recall correctly, I believe it was the French that took cannon target practice at the nose.

In reply to #17

01/20/2017 3:32 PM

Morons.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

01/20/2017 3:45 PM

French

In reply to #17

01/21/2017 6:23 AM

The accusation of the French and Napoleon in particular is almost certain to be misplaced. A fanatical sufi named Mohammed Sa'im al-Dahr is a more likely culprit.

In reply to #34

01/21/2017 8:13 AM

I recalled incorrectly and stand corrected, thanks.

heres a link that I would also consider a creditably source stating it.

In reply to #38

01/21/2017 9:31 AM

That is a better source.

Guru

Good Answers: 46
In reply to #13

01/23/2017 10:13 AM

No expert here, but the lack of erosion could be due to them having been buried for much of the time.

01/20/2017 3:26 PM

What actually does that imply? I don't think the head was set in place, but was formed in place.

I think it is old as the dynasty that built the pyramids, no more no less. Cheops?

Do you really any of the crapola the ancient alien charlatans offer up as hog swill for the masses?

01/20/2017 5:25 PM

..walk away for a bit and I miss the nuclear fireworks.

Probably for the best.

I see a couple of interesting links to follow later.. As for the paws.. I'm going to take a closer look at those as well.

As an amateur googioligist I'd like to propose that..

"Google it!" or "Google is your friend" are inadequate answers.. In fact it's worse than a non answer.

Sure there are case's where that applies, but. I think most people understand the concept of Google. Sometimes a question is more interesting when asked and the reply is better from many people than one mainframe.

01/20/2017 5:29 PM

Here's a little tidbit,... this may get a little,... how should I say... paranormal, but just hear me out, I'm just putting this out there.

There was a modern day Nostradamus named Edward Cayce who was a rather successful and accurate clairvoyant, (+90%). He past away in the mid 1940's.

One of his reading, he discribed the location of what is called the 'hall of records'. Which was located under the Sphinx.

Now Professor Schoh (mentioned in earlier post), was doing some investigations where (after a lot of paper work and red tape) got a permit to do soundings at the sphinx. There were earlier soundings by Lerhner mention in the Smithsonian link, but found nothing but cracks These Latest sounding revealed a void under the sphinx, right where Cayce describe where it would be. Professor Schoh was refused anymore expoloratory investigations by the Egyptian authorities.

Cayce now has an institute, and the people there asked professor Schoh was asked to comment on this by the Cayce Institute, I believed he refused.

In reply to #29

01/21/2017 2:22 AM

"Professor Schoh was refused anymore expoloratory investigations by the Egyptian authorities."

Clearly he's on to something.

"Judge a man by the enemies he makes." ~Oscar Wilde (paraphrased)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #30

01/21/2017 6:20 AM

For the longest time since grade school i recall. I heard that there were hidden chambers in the sphinx. Even though Lerhner found nothing but maybe crevises on his search there.

one thing, we have here at CR4 there are a few purists. Who want clear black and white answers based on scientific fact.

With this said, it's my opinion that The pyrimands as well as the sphinx were built based on rituals. So I'm not surprised that there will be mystic finding and conjecture that one has to uncover them to get to the truth.

Oh Great,... now I'm starting to sound like Fox Mulder.

In reply to #33

01/21/2017 10:09 AM

http://www.thehiddenrecords.com/egypt-celestial-ship-landing-sphinx-ufo-papyrus-pleiades.php

A hypothesis that may shed light. Hieroglyphs can be confusing at times and no one actually knows much for sure. Plenty conjecture, theories and urban myths. The sensible action is to open the door and pop in and look around, but the Egyptian government wont allow this to be done.

As with most archaeological sites and so called uncovered facts, much is distorted, false and biased as most archaeologists were military persons and viewed much from a fortification aspect. Some 'forts' in the UK are now re-classed as industrial towns and not military related in any way. The secret passages and chambers in the sphinx have been documented and known since at least 1672.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #42

01/21/2017 10:14 AM

Your post,... as I read it, it's missing something... ahh, here it is. That's better.

In reply to #29

01/22/2017 2:26 AM

Funny how you can talk all over that stuff that is totally bunkum, but if I mention the Bible it gets wiped. I am starting to hate this entire forum.

In reply to #50

01/22/2017 5:35 AM

Jimmy, I believe I made it clear about the questionable side of it and said I'm just going to put it out there.

The scientious who ignored it, is now having a hard time getting permits.

as far as religion, you just have to stick to your guns, just like the Egyptians are doing with theirs. Not meant sarcastically.

I'd go on about religion that also deals with Edward Cayce of what I've learned, especially about the Sphinx. it's interesting in a chilling way, both good and bad (very questionable as in bs).

But this thread only skirts it. I'm just passing on 'tidbits' and if ridiculed, I don't take it personally but somewhat open minded.

In reply to #50

01/22/2017 7:48 AM

It ain't right. But please don't be hating. You're too good a guy with value and conviction. It's incomprehensible to the mods. And unfortunately intolerable to the weak minded. Stay righteous and your message will be delivered.

Damn the mods for deciding what stays and what goes. At least you know what your up against.

I continue to enjoy your perspective without offense for the fleeting moments it's on display.

In reply to #53

01/23/2017 8:52 AM

Thank you, that reminds me of the righteous people I knew when I lived in Urbana.

God Bless you and them.

In reply to #50

01/22/2017 8:16 AM

Now why is it if one refers to historical records, which we all know were written with a huge bias towards the one who was victorious, it is accepted as 'fact' and true and taught in school as a basis of knowledge, yet, when one refers to a bible as an historical record, people fall apart?

Bible - basic instruction before leaving earth. An historical instruction manual.

What can be so difficult with that?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #54

01/22/2017 11:39 PM

Which hisorical records are you describing, which are being taken as fact without scrutizing for self consistency, plausibility, and corroboration?

In reply to #57

01/23/2017 5:12 AM

Think you missed a point that I made. But, nitpicking is cool too, here is a hint: light bulb, telephone, Easter island 'heads', tsunami never hit the UK, Columbus discovering the Americas etc. And not stated as awarded the invention patents. As I said originally, 'taught in schools'. Being given a foundation of lies. The last I checked and understood a lie is an untruth.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #58

01/23/2017 7:38 AM

How about the planets revolving around the sun.

In reply to #59

01/23/2017 8:10 AM

No hassle there, I checked them last night. Power was on, but Mars was closed for a few hours for monthly maintenance and all clockwork has been fully wound. Have a look this evening and you will see they are all just peachy.

Guru

In reply to #60

01/23/2017 8:19 AM

I looked out my porch,... and concur. condition Nomal.

In reply to #61

01/23/2017 9:32 AM

Glad that is all back in order for you. Next month I shall adjust the big dipper into a big slipper and remove Orions belt. (belts are just so out of fashion). Also planned for next month is a few slight scatterings of meteor showers and gaseous cloud. Mid March is degausing the magnetic fields and realigning the poles.

Guru

In reply to #67

01/23/2017 9:34 AM

great,... just don't over do it with the sprinkles...

In reply to #68

01/23/2017 10:05 AM

Sorry, no budget for sprinkles as it was used for the meteor showers.

You want sprinkles of starlight I need to shut off the moon for a few days around Jan 26th. That is pretty much a world wide blackout. Do you want to be responsible for that?

Guru

In reply to #69

01/23/2017 10:10 AM

OK, I'll hope for rain then.

In reply to #70

01/23/2017 10:36 AM

I can only do rain if you have a a parade. Happy to take you on a Free Rider for $199.99 or on a Mystery Tour of your house for $99.98. Lunch is provided.

Book early while I still have the keys to your house.....

Guru

In reply to #67

01/23/2017 11:06 AM

Will it make the insane people sit down and shut tf up, and also melt the little whining snowflakes?

In reply to #54

01/23/2017 8:56 AM

It does not match up with the dimmitude of Christians and Jews. I noticed at the Inaugural Prayer Service Saturday that the Bhuddist monk, and one of the Islamic clerics did not interpret their prayer or reading into English. It might be because of the difficulties in doing so while maintaining the fidelity of the meaning, and it might be because the clerics in Islam do not believe the Quran should be in English at all, or it might be they fear what we would learn if it was in English?

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 34

01/21/2017 5:08 AM

It is a long while since I studied geology at university, and I don't have any specific knowledge of the sphinx; but several things are evident in the photo.

There appears to be a harder layer of rock overlaying the softer strata below. This harder layer generally protects the lower layer from erosion and seems to form the surface layer in the landscape around the sphinx.

The area around the sphinx has either eroded or been excavated below the level of the surrounding landscape. The sculptors probably took advantage of a natural outcrop protected under a hard cap of rock.

The head of the sphinx is obviously formed of the same hard layer as the surrounding landscape, therefore it is only natural that it has eroded less than the lower parts. Whatever the phases of construction were, we don't need to look for esoteric explanations.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

01/21/2017 6:27 AM

Robert Schoh came to that conclusions, he also mentioned the erosion wasn't caused by just sand blowing, because that would just be horizontal (from the wind blowing) but also rain with because of the vertical erosion.

the sphinx was carved in place.

as far as to exclude the esoteric explanations, my previous post, 2nd and third paragraph. I guess I was talking about people like yourself.

You see, the geology and archeology around the area is controlled by the Egyptian authorities. And if you didn't respect that and go in just on a strictly scientific matter. One will find out, you are not aloud or given a hard time like they did to Dr. Schoh. Because Schoh also didn't want to fall in the seemingly esoteric malaise.

by the way, when Dr. Schoh first came to his findings 25-30 years ago. He was actually ridiculed also, because his findings didn't go with the convention. Since then, there are more that are seeing the value of his findings.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 197

01/21/2017 5:25 AM

I saw an interesting TV program some time ago, which pointed out that the head, as seen today, is a bit on the small side, the reason being, it was postulated, that originally say another animal's head was there, and at some point (change of fashion maybe?), the head was remodelled by removing large parts of the stone work.

It came over as very plausible to myself, but the fine detail as to why, I have since forgotten....the link below may help better.

See here:-

Sphinx-may-have-had-the-face-of-a-lion

Dr Jonathan Foyle, a historical architect who worked with Mr Reader on his research, has suggested that the statue may have originally have had a different face – most likely that of a lion, as would fit with the rest of the statue.

This could explain why the current head is out of proportion to the body, with the face being re-modelled at a later date to take a more human form.

01/21/2017 8:01 AM

Not the only one as there is the remains of one in Sigiriya, Sri Lanka, the sphinx was not alone! And I recall, this one is older than the Egyptian sphinx and was far harder to build.

http://www.selcoholidays.com/sites/default/files/Sigiriya-9.jpg

Personally, well worth a visit. Even to see the glass wall, ancient graffiti and paintings.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #36

01/21/2017 8:05 AM

I'd like to know the reason of, Why Build the sphinx? Why not a Griffin, or elephant or ?.

Finding out would/may also help being able to date it.

01/21/2017 10:29 AM

Fascinating reads. Sphinx aside the ancient Egyptians have me perplexed on a number levels.

Where the pyramids made to house the dead? It seems that calling the room in the middle a burial chamber may have been the name that has stuck based on first impressions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pyramids were never actually found with remains? Remains we only found in tombs along with the accoutrements for a proper afterlife.

They liked sarcophaguses? But why?

They were crafty little buggers for sure, and it almost seems deliberate that they've not left stone carvings depicting construction.

There is also the lightbulb theory(how could they not have left behind sooty walls and ceilings).. I tend to think of a people with good 'night vision' and not needing more than a few oil lamps and some ventilation. (easily achievable)

As for the paws being in such fine shape? It's chear there have been several restorations and rebrickings over the millennia. It's also understood that sand dunes actively drift and will tend to bury or partially bury the whatever is out in the open.

The Hall of Records? I don't think it's to much a stretch to say there's a hidden room under in a monument in Egypt aka 'the land of hidden rooms under monuments'.

That said. If an actual 'Hall of Records' beyond the accounting data and such were to be found in the precise location? I may have to pick up some silver Nike's and stare into the night.

not enough time in the day to think about all of it!

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #44

01/22/2017 9:41 AM

Pyramids are such a waste. The one who builds it does not think about occupancy to weight ratio.

This is quite an extra ordinary built however

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #55

01/22/2017 10:22 AM

The pyramids were originally built as double story bungalows for pensioners, so space was not a requirement. Giza being the show house. The whole retirement village housing scheme was a bit of a failure due to a market collapse because of Moses Builders Union demanding better working hours. It caused quite a glut of builders on the Egyptian market, and most went to Britain to build a wall for Hadrian Pty.Ltd., who was prototyping a new concept now being adopted by Trump USA Ltd. Some went deeper into Africa to build plateau's and gorges and work at King Solomon's Ltd mines.

Register to Reply
Guru

01/23/2017 8:26 AM

Back on the subject, even if the Sphinx is only 4500 years old... the tools used would be copper? quite a logistic endeavor, that would included tool sharping by designated people. not to mention keeping the workers fed.

I myself believe it to be that the sphinx is excess of 10,000 years old. Where the tools would be stone. I believe that a few scientists/archeologist did try to carve stone with stone tools. The tools themselves where harder. And after a few adjustments, it could be done.

In reply to #62

01/23/2017 9:00 AM

I wonder if it ever occurred to the scientists that ancient coppers were nowhere near pure metals, and perhaps were alloys we don't even know about now? Surely, they have analyzed found copper tools of the era and totally analyzed?

In reply to #65

01/23/2017 9:14 AM

I would speculate, when they began using copper, the copper used is what was on the surface. And it came down to 'What was better than what they were currently using'.

Now difference that when the Romans started allowing their copper for bronze.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (6); Andy Germany (1); Chankley (1); Codemaster (1); gutmonarch (1); IQ (26); James Stewart (28); Janissaries (2); JE in Chicago (7); lyn (3); MR. Guest (4); phoenix911 (41); rashavarek (1); SolarEagle (2); truth is not a compromise (10); WJMFIRE (2)

Previous in Forum: Oak Island   Next in Forum: Biofuel Consumption and Effect on Earth's Rotation and Orbit

Advertisement