Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Water Tank Float Switch

01/25/2017 11:57 AM

I am filling overhead water tank using 1Hp,single phase 230V pump motor manually using starter with circuit shown below.now i want to do the motor its job of starting and stopping on auto using a float level switch with 1x NO (A1/A2) +1xNC (B1/B2) contacst.i also want to retain the manual control for emergencies.i have no other auxiliary contactors or timers.i have tried but not possible without auxiliary contactors.can someone sharp minded help please.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1102

Re: water tank float switch

01/25/2017 12:31 PM

In reply to #1

01/25/2017 12:42 PM

you have used a three way selector switch with "o","H" ,and "C" contacts.right?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 171
In reply to #2

01/25/2017 1:17 PM

If you don't have access to a 3 position switch such as shown by SE, you could use 2 ordinary SPST N/O switches. Place one in series with the float to act as manual off, and another across the float to act as manual on.

That would achieve the same result as does SE's circuit but with ( possibly) more readily at hand hardware.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 8

Re: Water Tank Float Switch

01/25/2017 12:58 PM

These are just switches in single phase. You can always opt to have it with no contactors if you want.

You should learn ladder diagram, it's much simpler to analyze that way in your future project.

I observed you have lots of queries these days.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #3

01/25/2017 1:35 PM

Draw the correct circuit as a ladder diagram, to get him started.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1573
In reply to #5

01/25/2017 2:01 PM

Go do the work for him. That's what he really wants.

HARIS, TRY GOOGLE!

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699
In reply to #5

01/26/2017 3:45 AM

See #1⇑.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 731

01/25/2017 3:09 PM

Before doing anything more, you must understand the nature of the float switch. Does it have an adjustable set point for on and off? By that I mean can you set it up to turn the pump on at 5 ft, off at 8 ft, something like that? If not, for example if it is a simple hanging "bulb" type mercury switch, you have more problems to solve here.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #7

01/25/2017 5:00 PM

It also matters whether the float switch your have (or purchase) is NO, or NC. Obviously, it will not work if sensing is backward.

You should still use the load contactors, but use the auxilliary contacts to open/close on load using your switch circuits. Make sure all switches and parts are out of water's reach, in enclosure to protect user from hazardous voltage (anything above 50 V).

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 748

01/25/2017 11:20 PM

Do they have a McDonald's in Pakistan, or wherever this is?

In reply to #9

01/26/2017 7:52 AM

we have MR.cod .i like their stuff too much

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #15

01/26/2017 8:33 AM

Sounds a bit fishy to me! Mr. Cod in your part of the world? That must be Swindon or Reading. To much hake there.

Guru

Good Answers: 22

01/26/2017 12:02 AM

1. Get a SPST switch rated at 15 A / 250 V

2. Get a single gang junction box.

Install switch into junction box.

Get a float level with the connector tether. ( See picture )

Attach wires from the SPST switch to your supply source and from the SPST switch to the float level tether cord connection.

Attach your motor cord to the float level tether connector.

Install float level in reservoir tank.

The SPST can be used as your manual shut off.

Less complicated = less expensive.

The float level in the picture is rated at 115v. 230 volt float level switches are available.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 27

01/26/2017 2:22 AM

This float switch contains a micro switch rated at 240v. and a heavy ball to actuate it. As it is a micro switch it has BOTH NC and NO terminals. Cheap too. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250V-2m-Cable-Liquid-Water-Level-Controller-Sensor-Contactor-Float-Switch-New-/350666723897?hash=item51a55d9239:g:DzMAAOSw4GVYM7CD

To adjust level you anchor the cable in the tank at a point where when the float hangs down it switches on, and when it floats up it switches off. I am sure you can work out an override. e.g. unplug to keep off. separate plug/supply to keep on.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

01/26/2017 3:00 AM

Whatever next?

01/26/2017 5:29 AM

Sir, this should be very much a piece of cream cake for you given the fact of all your vastness of knowledge from power stations, earthing and switching yards, and all the honourable knowledge imparted by many CR4'ians that you may run your thriving village consulting enterprise, and not provide suitable compensation or thanks to your share holders.

http://www.oswalsjaipur.in/contact-us.html

I am sure Mr. Ravi Jain (Proprietor) may provide the components you require to lift water and possibly advise of a local electrician to assist your endeavor.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

01/26/2017 11:27 AM

Whatever you do, make sure you include an overflow spill pipe to a drain in case the switch fails to turn off = pump on and on

In reply to #17

01/26/2017 12:07 PM

No need for that. It is gravity fed. It will spill out the top cover and gravity feed back to the ground. It then has a multi function as a shower or garden irrigation system or perhaps as a evaporatation pond to grow rain clouds. One must always utilise the resources to the fullest uses.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #17

01/26/2017 1:39 PM

Good safety advice! Another trick is to install two switches. One turn the pump on/off, and the other is only ever a kill switch.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175

01/26/2017 1:15 PM

You may want to check out these tank float switches:

https://www.grainger.com/category/float-switches/pump-controls/pumps/ecatalog/N-cc8

If this application is for the storage of potable water, DO NOT select a switch containing Mercury contacts inside of it,

Good Answers: 10

02/08/2017 11:53 PM

Since you dont have any spare selector switch, there is one thing you can do, is that, during the use of the float switch for the automatic water filling you need to remove out the self latching contact wire from the auxiliary contact of the main contactor. And if you want to use back the manual control you need to fix back the self latching contact wire to the main contactor. With this condition I can draw you the new circuit for the control. But I think you also know how to rewire it already.

Management is just like a bunch of Monkey sitting on a tall tree. Some climb to the highest branch and some at the lowest branch. The highest Monkey look down and see a lot of happy faces but the lower Monkey looks up and see nothing but all the....
Register to Reply 21 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); aurizon (1); CaptMoosie (1); coolyaar (2); gutmonarch (1); IQ (3); James Stewart (2); JIMRAT (1); JRaef (1); lyn (1); PWSlack (2); Simon Wan (1); SolarEagle (1); spades (1); tonyhemet (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Antenna Corrosion   Next in Forum: High Pulsed Power

Advertisement