CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Evaporation and Condensation of Mercury Rich Polluted Lake Water   Next in Forum: The Origin Of Water?
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 210

Metal Hydrogen

01/30/2017 8:20 AM

superconducting closer all the time

https://youtu.be/1qitm5fteL0

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 19

Re: metal hydrogen

01/30/2017 8:28 AM

Awesome. Thank you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 589
In reply to #1

01/30/2017 10:44 AM

This is Huge! I wonder what it would cost to make.(It's free for the taking in the center of Jupiter.)

Guru

In reply to #6

01/30/2017 11:56 AM

I think it exists in other hi pressure bodies floating around but we can't mine it there, this is fantastic if it can be mass produced and hold form @ room temps

Guru

In reply to #7

01/30/2017 12:16 PM

I suspect that it will be highly flammable, and I don't want to be anywhere close by if a chunk of it decides to turn back into gas! That 70 million psi it took to make it would make a good explosion even without combustion.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

01/30/2017 12:29 PM

people were terrified of that invisible stuff called electricity at first as well and we know how that turned out

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 95
In reply to #9

01/30/2017 10:40 PM

Good answer.

And people postulated that a man-made nuclear fission reaction would ignite all the oxygen in the atmosphere.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #10

01/31/2017 10:23 AM

So not only did they not understand nuclear energy, they did not understand combustion as well? Damn. No wonder we burned up Apollo 1.

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 95
In reply to #12

01/31/2017 10:45 AM

I don't even want to think how many fundamental design flaws there were in the original Apollo capsule before the fire due to rushing to maintain a risky schedule. And, trust me when I say that NASA understood the fundamentals of combustion at the time. If they didn't know they wouldn't have been able to light off those big roman candles.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #14

02/01/2017 11:12 AM

Yep: starting that kind of fire is a real art. If not done correctly, all you get is the KA-BOOM!

01/30/2017 8:39 AM

The first time I heard the theory on metallic hydrogen it was late in 1983, and Dr. Henry Eyring was still alive (although not entirely well) at University of Utah. It appears he was among scientists who predicted that metallic hydrogen could exist.

The western U.S. ACS conference was being held in Salt Lake City, and I had the privilege of hearing the presentation of the paper on metallic hydrogen by the gentleman that gave the paper. I do not recall his name, unfortunately.

I am happy that within my lifetime this milestone in science has been reached. I truly hope that metallic hydrogen turns out to be metastable, and can be used for all the things we believe it could be useful for. It would be a great boon.

In reply to #2

01/30/2017 9:01 AM

I think its quite exciting

Guru

In reply to #3

01/30/2017 9:59 AM

I truly believe this is the most remarkable discovery of the 21st Century thus far.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #5

01/31/2017 12:09 AM

I am doing a metallic Helium, buddy. No kidding you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #11

01/31/2017 10:24 AM

Your surpassing lack of ability is exceeded only by your total lack of respect for actual science.

May the God of electrons bless you with full contact to a 1 GW generator long enough to make the sun shine.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #13

01/31/2017 6:44 PM

Who's god is that? Megatron? Oh, he was created. There's only one God.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #3

01/31/2017 6:25 PM

Apparently, it's still under pressure. It will be interesting to see what happens when they bring it out to see if it survives. There is some thought that it might be metastable (like diamond), but time will tell. Let's hope so!

http://www.sciencealert.com/hydrogen-has-been-turned-into-a-metal-for-the-first-time-ever

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 622

01/30/2017 9:29 AM

I first heard about metallic hydrogen back in the 1970s. One of my astrophysics professors gave a talk about metallic hydrogen possibly surrounding the core of Jupiter.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Fredski (3); gutmonarch (2); Hooker (2); James Stewart (5); Rixter (3); Usbport (1); wrenchtwirler (1)

Previous in Forum: Evaporation and Condensation of Mercury Rich Polluted Lake Water   Next in Forum: The Origin Of Water?

Advertisement