CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Switching Regulator Controller   Next in Forum: Imagery Encoded in Sound Spectra
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Participant

Can Anyone Suggest Me a Circuit For a Solar Charger?

01/31/2017 5:32 AM

I want to design a charger to charge 4v 1.5Ah lead-acid battery with solar panel. as i have less experience to electronics product design please someone guide me. i want make led lantern of 1watt which can get automatically on at night and off during day time. please guide me for this.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: solar charger
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 455

Re: can anyone suggest me circuit for solar charger.

01/31/2017 5:48 AM

Here's a start: <click>

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

Re: Can Anyone Suggest Me Circuit For Solar Charger?

01/31/2017 8:29 AM

This sort of thing is available at most hardware superstores and garden centres across the UK:

Good Answers: 575
In reply to #2

01/31/2017 9:40 AM

I think most of these use a "Joule Thief" circuit...

http://www.pcbheaven.com/opendir/index.php?show=4432lw7597zveeddc26a

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 88
In reply to #3

02/02/2017 5:26 AM

Basically OK, but if it was 12V [or more than 4 volt] solar panel it would conduct straight through collector winding and diode to battery!

For lower output voltage, you need a third winding for the diode, at right, feeding the battery.

It is possible battery charge current is excessive, unless panel capacity is small compared to battery. Cells could overheat & burst.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196

Re: Can Anyone Suggest Me a Circuit For a Solar Charger?

02/01/2017 4:54 AM

Why not buy one, they are on sale in many countries nowadays....or even buy a DIY kit that you can solder together, maybe learning something at the same time.

Designing is fun, but a knowledge of the subject is needed and certain test equipment, plus the knowledge on how to use such equipment.

If you don't have such equipment and knowledge, you are just wasting your time and money....start small.....

Good Answers: 13

02/01/2017 2:54 PM

Check out "Instructables.com", you can do a search there for similar things...

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: just died off here (now i may flicker back for a while)

02/03/2017 12:02 PM

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/industries/solar-energy.html/tb_operation

it's worth to explore the site to get familiar with a number of issues to overcome that rise when setting up autonomous powering system

1. the easiest way is to google select and order a ready system that meets your requirements

2. otherwise :

2.0 ? Do i have time for this ?

2.1 you need to compute your system first e.g. min. max. avg. power input

2.2 min. max. avg. power output

2.3 operating mode -- should the charging and power consumption occur also simultaneously or only separately (as from consumers , battery and solar cell - e.g. - power setup perspective)

2.3.1 operating mode 2 -- (as from system control setup perspective) chart all specific conditions e.g. handling overcharge , low battery , bad battery/cell , bad (greased) solar panel segment , system auto helt check/management in all operating modes (e.g. charge, standby, battery op, mixed modes , ...)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

67model (1); Andy Germany (1); ci139 (1); geraldpaxton (1); JohnDG (1); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Switching Regulator Controller   Next in Forum: Imagery Encoded in Sound Spectra

Advertisement