CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: 4-way Diverted Valve   Next in Forum: Turbine Maintenance Books
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Participant
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

API 650 Flush Type Connections

02/02/2017 2:56 AM

Dear members,

A few doubts regarding API650 Flush type connections.

1) Is it possible to Design a Flush type opening such that the "nozzle centreline" is in flush with the bottom plate ?

2) It is known that heat treatment is required for flush type connections. If a cleanout opening is designed for the tank without an insert plate, ie, the opening is attached to the shell directly then, can heat treatment be applied to the region near the flush type opening OR should the whole shell course be heat treated ?

3) Is it necessary to perform FEA analysis on the flush type opening ?

4) The minimum value of height of the opening from Table 5.12(a)[API 650 12th Edition] is 200 mm. I want a Flush type opening nozzle of 6"Sch80S(ID = 146mm). Is it possible ?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: api API 650 Tank
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 737

Re: API 650 Flush type connections

02/02/2017 3:24 AM

Somehow I might contrive to have a few doubts about this myself. So be it.

Good Answers: 122

Re: API 650 Flush Type Connections

02/02/2017 3:01 PM

I would say not, at least not if you wish to remain in compliance.

In reply to #2

02/02/2017 8:54 PM

Dear James, thank heaps for your reply. But could you please elaborate ?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 122
In reply to #3

02/03/2017 11:45 AM

1) no.

2) I might think it depends on how the opening was made, what does the standard actually say in regard to that?

3)If the tank is for much of anything important (size wise), then yes. If it is a bucket, who cares?

4) Are you sure the 200 mm mentioned is not height from the base plate? If it were that, then I suppose your 6" nozzle would fit. If the specification requires a greater than 6" nozzle, why would you wish to under size it?

Please share with us the scope and location of this project? India? American contractor? Who specifies on this contract what agency is the standard reference agency?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 682

02/03/2017 3:22 AM

Simply, if the requirements fall outside API650, then the finished tank designed to those requirements will also fall outside API650. It's "sticking one's neck out" territory.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 682

02/03/2017 5:35 AM

Don't worry. If the final design is outside API650 and the end Client's specifications require it to be so, then the Client's Acceptance Engineer will reject it.

02/03/2017 6:37 AM

Thank you PWSlack for your comments. :)

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (2); PWSlack (2); Tornado (1); vermatron (2)

Previous in Forum: 4-way Diverted Valve   Next in Forum: Turbine Maintenance Books

Advertisement