Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

HEPA Filters

02/05/2017 10:58 PM

Hi

I need information regarding the health check of HEPA filters , is there mechanism to monitor online the condition of HEPA filters.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 737

Re: HEPA filters

02/05/2017 11:14 PM

ΔP, for one possibility.

In reply to #1

02/06/2017 12:17 AM

Thanks for your inputs , is there any agency who is doing it in clean room applications

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

02/06/2017 1:06 AM

That would depend on where you are, as to whether any agencies are governing this.

My comment on ΔP was generic, of course. High ΔP would indicate filter clogging. Low ΔP could mean rips or tears in the filter, or a leak bypassing it. Any such conditions should be investigated and corrected. In addition, it may be advised to monitor the downstream fluid for any unwanted substances.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 685
In reply to #3

02/06/2017 3:13 AM

There are instruments doing it in clean room and other applications.

What happens to the information that the instrument is able to produce depends on the contents of a number of documents at the facility and relating to the installation, such as:

• User Requirement Specification
  • Process Description
  • Control Philosophy
  • Functional Design Specification

none of which can be seen from here.

Whether what is done with the information is carried out in-house or by some agency is a local management decision, not a global Engineering one, and therefore falls outside the scope of CR4.

Good Answers: 1010

02/05/2017 11:34 PM

The monitoring of filters depends on the application and nature of the parameters...

http://www.tsi.com/Facility-Monitoring-System/

Good Answers: 128

Re: HEPA Filters

02/06/2017 3:43 PM

1) If you are working on asbestos abatement: The filter integrity must be (by law) 100%.

2) If not working asbestos, such as clean room: The room will have particle monitoring that will produce alarm conditions when there is an issue with filter "health".

3) If working on some celestial body other than Earth. No filter seemingly is good at removing all the jaggedy, angular particles encountered on the moon. I presume vaguely similar dusts exist on Mars and elsewhere.

Good Answers: 1533

02/06/2017 5:33 PM

There are many ways.

The easiest way for non-technical people would be to go to your HEPA filtration supplier and ask them.

They will (hopefully) know something about your application, which is more that you have provided here. They may be aware of any prefiltration you may do, again, we do not.

Does this look familiar? It may be this is all you need if Tornado has inspired you.

Get some technical help!

Guru

Good Answers: 20

02/06/2017 10:59 PM

I was going to post a comment, but I missed the part in the question that said the HEPA filter was going to be used in a Clean Room.

For all I know, it might have been a HEPA filter in a vacuum.

Guru

In reply to #8

02/06/2017 11:13 PM

If so, then there would be nothing to worry about.

Good Answers: 128

02/08/2017 9:31 AM

define what you mean by HEPA, filter, and online.

If you meant to use your computer to track filter health, I suggest using a cellphone calendar app to set up the next filter change out date.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #10

02/10/2017 8:59 AM

Have used a company called Agape for annual HEPA testing in the past. I think they were purchased by a company called Steris recently.

They travel all over US and are very good at what they do. I believe they also do smoke studies and velocity mapping in addition to the standard HEPA tests. We will have a team of their technicians on site for the next two weeks testing filters.

Reply to Forum Thread 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

GTHusker (1); James Stewart (2); lyn (1); munish_prashar (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1); tonyhemet (1); Tornado (3)

Previous in Forum: Water Ingression in Lube Oil   Next in Forum: Carving

Advertisement