CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Need Engineering Help Please Read Should Be Simple!?!   Next in Forum: Looking for a List of Technical Illustrators and Prototype Builders
Close
Close
Close
69 comments
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 128

If Self-Driving Cars Become Effective, Should We Tax Driving?

02/07/2017 8:34 AM

Self-Driving cars have the potential to reduce the number of driving deaths considerably. This is a big deal, since on average about 33,000 people die every year from motor vehicle accidents.

When Lung Cancer was shown to be directly linked to cigarette smoking, taxes were imposed to discourage smoking. Should the same be done for automobiles if self-driving cars prove to be much safer? Should a driving tax be levied, or even a ban on driving imposed?

I'm curious to hear both sides on this. I've been driving for almost 30 years now and I have a hard time imagining letting a computer make decisions when my life is on the line.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

Re: If Self-Driving Cars Become Effective, Should We Tax Driving?

02/07/2017 8:42 AM

Death is already taxed, through the imposition of Death Duty [DD] on large estates. If the number of road deaths is to be reduced by introducing autonomous road vehicles, then the revenue stream will reduce, which means that either DD tax rates will rise or the taxation burden will shift onto something else. Like the use of autonomous vehicles...

Guru

Good Answers: 155

02/07/2017 8:52 AM

Well since taxing death hasn't discouraged people from dying...

The government doesn't impose these taxes to discourage people from doing things, they impose them to make money.

It's the people that get discouraged and take the governments revenue source away.

Guru

Good Answers: 559

02/07/2017 9:06 AM

I think that is probably the worst idea I have ever heard, so it will probably happen.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 8)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

02/07/2017 9:09 AM

<...ban on driving...>

Logic error: the whole point of autonomous road vehicles is that individuals can use them without the need for a skills assessment beforehand and a licence to do so on public roads.

02/07/2017 9:22 AM

Complicated question. My dog bites you, whose responsibility is it for the damage? My robot car hits your dog, whose responsibility is it....depends on the warranty whether it's the manufacturer's or the owners. Can the functioning of the robot car be taxed? By the mile or time like a cab?

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #5

02/08/2017 2:44 PM

The matrix will be in control, you are no longer allowed to smoke, drink beer, screw, have a dog, have termites, have fleas, or drive. We have snowflakes to protect from geniuses that can eat, smoke, drive, and text, all while talking on the police radio on the way to the scene of the accident.

Furthermore, you are no longer allowed to comment back on this because nanny-state will control everything, including your television screen. Now go wipe that mustard off the corner of your lip.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 349

02/07/2017 1:50 PM

Self-driving vehicles are a MAJOR paradigm shift for everyone and, as such, it is not going to be easy. In the end, we may very well see an additional road tax to help with the transition and to pay for additions to the transportation network to help facilitate the self-driving vehicles.

Conversion of existing roads to toll roads and dedicated self driving lanes will likely be the first thing we will see to help ease road users into self-driving vehicles, reducing anxiety and making it gradually more and more expensive and inconvenient for those with non self-driving vehicles.

In the end self-driving vehicles WILL result in deaths, but they will be a lot, lot safer than driving manually. We as a people will just have to adapt, and as with computers it will likely be easier for the next generation who will grow up with them (making it not such a big leap).

I predict that the benefits to road transport speed increases (which in many congested areas should be massive, as they should greatly reduce gridlock - a primarily human-caused phenomenon) will be one of the major driving forces for public adoption. Convenience and speed will win out over our perceived safety and control issues.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #6

02/07/2017 2:20 PM

They will be safer as long as they work properly. In other ways much more vulnerable. Enter hackers, taking out a million or more cars at a time via zero-day attacks. It'll happen.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1104
In reply to #8

02/07/2017 3:10 PM

In reply to #6

02/07/2017 3:38 PM

"but they will be a lot, lot safer than driving manually"

On a conventional road in traffic, during commuter hours, with illegals driving who drive like they do in Nigeria or Congo? I seriously doubt it. Road hazards abound, how will the robot react to a cyclist, skateboarder, etc.? Pothole sensors working?

Perhaps we should focus on overhead people movers that hold one or two people.

Engineers love challenges, but sometimes you have to scrutinize the failures.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #10

02/07/2017 6:36 PM

Obviously these places will be some of the last to adopt a mass self-driving vehicle market (if ever) for obvious reasons. Self-driving vehicles just wouldn't make much economic sense.

No one ever said all vehicles would change over, there will always be some manual drive vehicles in the future.

Perhaps we should focus on overhead people movers that hold one or two people.

Light rail has been investigated but it doesn't make much economic sense unless you are talking about getting around in big cities, and they already have underground trains for that.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #15

02/08/2017 2:52 PM

I think the roads could be made safer for the sane by installing fore and aft 50 cal machine guns, and maybe one turret 20 mm Hispano cannon for anti-idiot defense driving.

If we could just blow the morons off the highway, kill off a few snowflakes, get rid of the drunks (by firing squad with alcohol flame throwers), or all get much bigger pickup trucks that are totally tricked out (and fully armed for combat), then we could make the world safe for that trip to the convenience store. No more zombies.

In reply to #36

02/09/2017 7:19 PM

for the sane

Really? Not even in America would this happen.

These are rather stupid ideas, but perhaps not for the obvious reasons. If you think traffic is bad now consider massive road blockages caused by flaming wrecks of vehicles on the roads. Insurance company premiums would cause a world recession as no one could afford them, hospital and legal bills would skyrocket, etc.

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #59

02/10/2017 7:30 AM

Sorry to totally disagree with you, as knowing mean much these days and boy, is the western people extremely stupid and gullable and not well informed.

Why are you paying insurance for a vehicle each month? Seriously, why are you paying some company to drive your vehicle on a road? You are conned and seen as a cash cow.

Fact: there is a simple system used around the world where each vehicle on any road is insured and no one pays additional costs each month or year and it give not a dam about your age, colour, sex, type of vehicle, or anything you may wish to throw up here. All, and I really mean ALL insurance companies world wide, use a simple system that insures every vehicle on a road, but when I come to a supposed 1st world country it all changes to rip the silly western folks off.

I realise just how stupid the west is and how western folks are deemed rich and good for profits. I find this whole idea rather stupid and antiquated when 3rd world countries are steaks ahead, yet the very same insurers treat westerners as idiots, which they are proving to be.

Yes, its a rant as I have an issue with the stupidity that goes on. Trust me, the system works just fine, and it is uniform across all vehicle users. If you find nothing in your research let me know and I shall explain a simple 3rd world system that ensures each vehicle on any road is insured for 3rd party insurance and the simple scheme used by many to save money and still have everything you have insured, including your vehicle.

It is shameful to be a western person and see how we are ripped off daily. OK done now. Out of my system for a while.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

In reply to #60

02/10/2017 8:22 AM

Welcome to the west New Zealand!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #61

02/10/2017 8:44 AM

Ha ha. Oh yes, how I wish I was back down under and out of the silly west. This western idealology and northern hemisphere is doing my head in. Lala Land for sure....The numpties are eating my brain.....Help. hel..he..h. Walking dead have eaten me!!!

Guru

In reply to #60

02/10/2017 9:23 AM

Uh, could you perhaps elaborate on that concept a bit more?

What is it? Marauding bands of little boys with AK-47's assuring that everyone drives safely in Nigeria, OR ELSE?

In reply to #64

02/10/2017 11:12 AM

Yes, an AK works so well in Africa, never fails.

I shall elaborate and it works very well.

They have a pot, an insurance pot. All insurer have a hand in the pot that covers every vehicle on any road to be insured at all times as it has fuel in the tank. The insurance is covered in the price of fuels, just a few cents on each litre of fuel. Any claims the pot pays out. so, in essence, the insurers always get their premiums and profits and investment interest every month. The more the insurer has invested he more he get out at days end.

The down side is , the more you drive and use fuels and fill up the more you pay in insurance sothe guy who only drives occassionally, pays less for insurance. He uses the road less. That is fair. But as long as he has fuel in his vehicle and is on the road, he is insured. So the up side is, no one is ever on the road uninsured at any given time.

And as many families have more than one vehcile there is no chance an insurer can go broke.

If you have a nice brand new car, own a house, it works far better and in your favour. You have householders insurance, so you add the car(s), caravan, motor bike, bicycles and your insurance gets cheaper. That covers theft, accidents, damage etc. The more you add the cheaper the premium. (That is if you want all the cover as you don't need to have anything insured). That becomes a separate insurance cover, personal. There is no renewal each year at all, you juts simply adjust your cover as the vehicles have depreciated, your premium comes down and one simply keeps paying. The cover stops if you stop paying.

In the UK cover needs to be taken out each year. What a pain it is. With the 3dr world system no one is ever uninsured on the road and the insurers never go broke and post profits each year.

This buying insurance each year is BS. Work it out, annually using 3120 litres of fuel pa with a $0.08 cent insurance on each litre bought, (60 ltr or $4.80 extra per 60 litre fill up, 60ltr per week), your insurance will cost you $249.00 pa. The more fuel you buy the more insurance you purchased and you are always covered. Work that out over 1m vehicles @ 0.08c per litre, $249 600 000.00. Now work it out on all the vehicles on the road anywhere and tell me the insurer will go broke.

It works, so why not in the west? Are we all deemed stupid or is that reserved only for 3rd world countries, who just happen to be ahead of the game. Having uninsured drivers on any road is all BS. Smoke and mirrors. It works! Why not here is the west?

Guru

In reply to #65

02/10/2017 11:47 AM

It is because of the Washington, D.C. swamp, and a lawyer behind every blade of grass (rather than a rifle that Japan was cautious of during WWII). Lawyers have a short life expectancy in times of war, especially while chasing the ambulance....LOL.

In reply to #66

02/10/2017 12:05 PM

The Ambi chaser in the UK have special shoes. If they entered the Oly Impics for team GB they will wipe the board of all gold medals. They are faster than speeding bullets.

Whilst in Africa I saw a lion licking another lions behind. My son asked why it was doing that. I explained the lion had just eaten a lawyer, and in licking the other lions behind, it was trying to get the taste out of its mouth.

Aaargh! Revolting, ptptpt.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #67

02/10/2017 12:14 PM

Good answer mate!

In reply to #68

02/10/2017 12:26 PM

Humour, a good pick me up. The only hassle is all the falling down one needs to do first. Humour should be spontaneous, like an after burner on a jet engine.

Guru

In reply to #6

02/08/2017 2:48 PM

I predict autonomous transportation will be limited to buses. I would hate to be a bus driver for a living. Then buses will be on captive tracks (roads), where other vehicles are not allowed.

Autonomous vehicles are already used on the farm (at least until Farmer John gets to the end of the row, then he pushes a couple of buttons, the tractor raises implement, and executes a perfect 180 degree turn, aligned with the next path through the field.

It will not work on Farm to Market roads, as these are never maintained to the high level of uniformity in width and smoothness required for autobots.

Good Answers: 1104

02/07/2017 1:52 PM

Well I would think saving lives would translate to saving money....Less motor vehicle accidents, less repair costs, less hospital bills, less traffic interruption, less car sales, lower insurance premiums (ha like that could ever happen)....If you lower losses you increase revenue by efficiency gains.....so no new taxes!

Good Answers: 1573

02/07/2017 3:58 PM

Simple. If self driving cars are safer, then those leaving their cars/trucks/Hummers at home should see a commensurate REDUCTION in their auto insurance rates.

If you choose to drive, like many of us older soldiers will, we should pay more for increasing risks of causing accidents than those who let HAL do the driving. Our rates will go up, or at least not go down, even though insurance companies, police departments, hospital ERs, etc. will be saving money.

But our roads, highways, and related infrastructure will see an increased use/wear/depreciation that is caused by driverless cars.

So the reduction in insurance rates for those owning driverless cars should go to a road TAX to offset the increased, relative "road load."

In reality, what will happen is that lobbyists (who write the laws for Congress) will enact legislation to increase driverless car passenger rates to cover the added taxes they will pay.

So, at the end of the day, insurance rates for car owners will never drop to a point that will make it less expensive to leave our cars at home and call HAL to pick us up. We will just have to sell the car and be at the mercy of HAL.

The American consumer will lose either way and our highways and bridges will still continue to deteriorate until the taxpayer picks up the tab (again).

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #11

02/08/2017 10:08 AM

In theory, they are 'safer'. But we won't know until they are on the road in substantial numbers. There are plenty of car free campuses where they can be deployed, retirement colonies and colleges.....so both retiree's and students can get drunk/stoned and still get home safely. Ah, what a wonderful world it will be!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

02/08/2017 2:55 PM

As much as it pains me to agree with you, I believe you have zeroed in on human nature on this one. Lyn - 1, James - 1.

If my home computers are any indicator, I would rather tell my dog Billy drive. Or maybe Thomas the cat that can navigate Windows 10.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 58

02/07/2017 4:50 PM

Oh what a bag of worms we are about to open.

The government stands to lose money from a number of issues here. Driving license revenue gone, less gasoline taxes, as the self drivers will be more fuel efficient than a human, business taxes as towing companies become greatly reduced in numbers, business taxes as body repair shops also diminish in count, and many I haven't even thought of, I'm sure. The government won't stand for that loss - they'll find ways to tax both the self driver and the standard automobile - count on it.

I think an even bigger issue is what will become of NASCAR and the Indy Car series? Can the country stand to lose those mega-millions businesses? I ask you, will you pay to see robot cars competing? If we have no one who is trained to driver, there will be no drivers. I just found another huge loss of taxation for the government.

We will be taxed either way we choose to go.

In reply to #12

02/07/2017 7:01 PM

Why do people take things so literally, there will always be some non self-driving vehicles on the road (at least in the near future).

It makes sense to NOT make all vehicles driverless. Last time I checked most race cars weren't road legal anyway only used as track cars, hence no problem to be exempt in future and have a driver.

Self-driving vehicles are designed to work WITH other driver-controlled vehicles on the road, and for example you are NOT going to destroy the classic car market by making these vehicles illegal to drive on the roads.

In reply to #16

02/08/2017 8:47 AM

hence no problem to be exempt in future and have a driver.

The problem is there aren't going to be any where near as many skilled drivers, when most younger people will be forced into autonomous cars. How many parents are going to run their insurance up to get their offspring into a standard car? You can bet there will be a huge penalty in insurance rates on under 20 and not in an autonomous car. So, without driving skills, where are the race car drivers coming from? Perhaps we import skilled drivers from third world countries? (this assumes Europe and Brazil follow the lead into autonomous cars and that source of skilled drivers ends as well) Don't think that will go too well in the heart of NASCAR country.

But before that happens, there will be a general reduction in interest in a sport when few understand the challenges of driving anymore. The racing era is coming to an end. The majority of drivers in non-autonomous cars will be my generation, which is on the way out of here. Race car drivers tend to be a bit on the younger side.

As far as the "literal" goes, you have to understand I am most always a bit on the facetious / sarcastic side. Don't take things so literally.

In reply to #23

02/08/2017 2:58 PM

Cars and guns are just tools, it is the tools driving them I object to. Cars with guns?

That is almost as good as a smooth gin drink, a good Cuban cigar (or Nicaraguan with Connecticut wrapper), and something wrapped in bacon.

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
Good Answers: 5
In reply to #12

02/08/2017 11:03 AM

You forgot DWIs. Never made sense to me about driving intoxicated i mean why do bars have parking lots?

In reply to #27

02/08/2017 11:13 AM

Parking lots - well, maybe not in a city, but in a rural location....There are more reasons than getting drunk to go to a bar, at least a good one. The one 1/2 mile up the road has the best food in the county. Now this is in a remote town of 250 people, so most customers come from at least 10 miles away. A bit far to walk. Not sure I'd want to ride 10 miles on my bicycle if intoxicated either. I wouldn't even want to go the 1/2 mile to my house. Of course, I realize my technical riding skills are lacking. Some of the 30 year younger folks I ride with would probably try it. That's also considered DWI, at least in this state.

Yep - DWI's collect a lot of revenue for governments. However, serious enough and they cost governments - prisons don't make money.

In reply to #27

02/08/2017 1:42 PM

Well where else are you gong to leave the horse and wagon? Pubs don't have fields you know. Do you think when the publican says. 'Park out back' he means Australia?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #27

02/08/2017 2:59 PM

It gives the barflies and lot lizards a place to hang out while waiting for customers?

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 616

02/07/2017 5:22 PM

The correct term is 'Autonomous Vehicles', or AVs.

The fuel is already taxed, no matter whether it's gasoline or diesel pumped by a human or robot, or electricity squirted down the wires.

There are already too many taxes, and too many things in our lives that are double-taxed. I pay gas tax which is supposed to help maintain roads, property taxes that help pay for roads, state and federal income taxes that pay for roads, 'special local option sales taxes' (splost) that pay for roads; I paid a sales tax on my car, a fee for my driver's license, and auto tag fees. I pay disposal fees and recycling fees whenever I get the tires or fluids in my car changed. I pay tolls on some roads I take. There are probably a bunch of other expenses I haven't thought of.

How the h3ll many more taxes should I pay? None, dammit. None.

In reply to #13

02/07/2017 5:37 PM

Don't be too sure!

Donald Trump's plan to privatize America's roads and bridges. - Slate

Donald Trump's infrastructure plan wouldn't actually fix America's ... - Vox

I know I will be flamed, but I'm used to it.

He's "sittin' on top of the swamp".

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

02/08/2017 3:00 PM

Gas tax? That is nothing. I have tax gas....just sayin'

Good Answers: 8

02/07/2017 11:11 PM

I think technology spoiled us to extremes actually. In a matter of million years, man will be back to become fishes again.

Well, at least in the ocean you can float without flicking a limb and drift away so easily.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 748
In reply to #17

02/08/2017 2:05 AM

I've seen that model before on CR4, or at least a dead ringer.

In reply to #19

02/08/2017 3:14 PM

"dead ringer" - no that was a beached sperm whale.

In reply to #17

02/08/2017 3:12 PM

I have to give you a good answer. Some people already are a different kettle of fish entirely.

The merman image is priceless. Probably Bayes secret fantasy.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 748

02/08/2017 12:45 AM

They'll take my steering wheel from me only when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

02/08/2017 6:50 AM

Now why is Joe Public deemed to be an ATM for companies and governments these days. If one uses a horse is it taxable, required to be licensed and does one need a license to operate the horse, or even for that matter a wagon drawn by a horse or horses? Far too much imposed on drivers these days to get into their pockets.

However, the self driving cars just moves the big boys into other areas to dip ones pocket. I don't see driving as being any privilege but a requirement and a right by anyone but self driving cars, trucks will change much for everyone and of course insurance companies will score big time.

Self driving cars may be suitable for large cities in western countries who have a very good transport infrastructure, but by hypothetically speaking, banning vehicles will only over load transport systems, so productivity will suffer as people will spend more time travelling on overcrowded systems.

As for reducing pollution, over the very long term it may help, but considering shipping, aircraft are the major causes of pollution, and far more so than vehicles on roads, then there would be little help

As for potential to reduce road deaths, accidents, pollution, it is just that, potential, but unproven and of course, like water bans, they are utilised by many people, but another scores on what you save as any saving is never uniform across all persons and companies. Personally, I believe all this is a con to benefit the big boys and in all honesty, people these days are gullible and too busy being wrapped up in their own survival.

Reality check: consider how many cars are on roads, 253 million vehicles on the American roads. 33000 Possible deaths. 0.00013%. Pretty good odds. 31.7 Million cars in the UK.

Stats can be adjusted to suit anything, but they should be taken with a pinch of salt. Try driving across Australia with a self driving car. You will be a metal case by the time your reach the Nullabor. No, ban self driving cars and levies and taxes. Get a horse

and wagon and a bicycle and a segeway

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #20

02/08/2017 9:23 AM

I agree statistics can be manipulated, but I suggest that annual deaths per 100,000 population is a better measure of the problem, since road traffic-associated fatalities involve passengers and pedestrians as well as drivers. On this measure the US (10.6 deaths/100,000 per year) is better than the world average (17.4), but far worse than the UK (2.9). If you save lives you keep more people paying taxes.

As yet the safety stats for driverless cars are not available for such large numbers, so we should reserve judgement, but if they prove to be safer then taxing drivers and their cars seems a very reasonable option.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

02/08/2017 3:16 PM

Hey silly doctor! If no one has an accident how are you going to get customers for those bone pins you picked up on Ebay last week for $4.99?

In reply to #45

02/09/2017 6:15 AM

If that is meant to be funny then ha-ha. If that is meant to be serious then I can assure you that the profession of medicine would much rather be healing man of nature's unkindnesses than dealing with the consequences of man's stupidities.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

02/09/2017 8:59 AM

How about teaching man some responsibility for his actions? How about you stop moralizing, and go back to practicing, it seems you are getting rusty, because you sound like a squeaky gate. A lot of doctors seem to be too busy boinking the nurses to practice actual medicine and see patients. Talking about a need for morality -- sheesh. Oh, and that attitude of superiority that a lot of doctors have, that has got to go too. Actually you are all just fortunate people, pampered in your lush lifestyles in this present milieu.

I agree that nature's "unkindnesses" (even though nature has no emotion or intent other than to kill all of us), should be what doctors focus on, and have done to a large extent. I don't want a doctor to preach his version of morality to me, any more than I would want my minister or psychologist to perform open heart surgery on me.

Man's inhumanity to man far outreaches man's stupidity to himself as a leading cause of death in many countries. I don't hear you saying much about that.

BTW - the poke was in jest, until you apparently took it seriously, so now the sheite has hit the fan.

In reply to #52

02/09/2017 12:01 PM

Troll alert

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #58

02/10/2017 9:20 AM

Yeah - YOU!

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 80

02/08/2017 8:36 AM

Who's WE, got a Democrat in your pocket? In the case of cigarettes, they taxed because death rates went up. Why would you want to tax driverless cars when they reduce death? The whole question does not make sense.

Register to Reply
The Engineer

In reply to #21

02/08/2017 8:46 AM

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't describing a tax on self-driving cars, I was describing a tax on people who wanted to still drive their own cars since that would increase the overall risk on the roads.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods

02/08/2017 10:50 AM

Myself, i drive sports cars and motorcycles. I find it fun to handle a machine and would not turn over the driving duty to a computer.

Comes down to paying a tax for the fun of getting somewhere then FINE (<get it) i will pay up.

In reply to #26

02/08/2017 11:15 AM

I too have have had fun with fast cars and motorcycles but one cannot argue that just because we two have been acting in a responsible fashion on the roads then everybody else does. The road accident statistics speak against that. If the statistics for driverless cars indicate they are safer then the government should act to protect its citizens. Either ban human drivers or tax them.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #29

02/08/2017 1:34 PM

Oh yes, I agree, ban human drivers, in fact, they could ban humans completely and just have robots and robotic cars. It will save so much hassle, and pollution and over population and they can grow and harvest electrons in the open spaces. What a wonderful saving to the world. Cool! But who will make the iDiot, iRon, iCecream,iBeam and iWant? iMac or uPHP001.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

02/08/2017 3:18 PM

The problem with most of the people who would vote for such nonsense as AV's on the highway, and taxing those who want to drive is that:

NO MATTER WHERE THEY GO, THEY ARE STILL NOWHERE AND ARE LOSERS!

In reply to #46

02/08/2017 5:33 PM

You are a sad, bitter old man. I have now replaced any contempt I may have once felt toward you with pity!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #48

02/09/2017 8:50 AM

That large L on your forehead is not your first initial, really is it?

Lyn, I am roflmao, at your characterizations of me, and your intense phobia of Cheetos. I might eat another bag of them today in your honor.

Guru

02/08/2017 1:51 PM

After several posts and much reflecting on this topic, I have come to the conclusion that the government will not have to tax non-autonomous cars out of existence. New ones will become very rare the same way a Corvette, or a Ferrari, or Lamborghini or any of the "exotic" cars are kept in the realm of few. Car makers will run the price up, since they will require a different production line than the autonomous cars, and insurance companies will charge extreme fees to those who wish to drive one. Older ones will be parked and only the rich will be able to afford the exorbitant insurance fees to drive them. Problem taken care of without government intervention.

(that doesn't mean the government won't try to get some tax revenue off them - just they won't have to to eliminate them from the highways)

02/08/2017 2:36 PM

That about sounds right coming from you. You are part of the "we know better than you do, Mr. Joe Six-pack, so we are going to tell you what you can breathe, when to breathe it, and for how long"

I say we need to tax the damn engineers that want to shove this kind of thing down our tired, hard-working throats. It is causing us undue stress.

I say tax the companies that want their computer cars out there, and tax the sheite out of them, because they obviously have ulterior motives at play. Then tax the crap out of the morons that buy self-driving cars, oh wait, no one is going to buy them, because the whole concept of ownership and responsibility is now flushed down the sewer by the leftist nanny state aholes.

Bayes: I think you live in NY State, good for you. Stay up there. Don't come to Texas because we see, smell, and can navigate around bull crap without any outside agency required. By the way, Captain Obvious, we already tax the crap out of driving in case you are totally not living in the real world. It is called the use tax, road tax, gasoline tax, tax tax, and the registration fee tax. I am certain I missed about 20 other taxes related to driving. You Yankees have already messed up enough of this world, time to Shut up, sit down, and let the grown ups take over for a while. IF you got a tax like this through, I would personally want to come to whatever tower of pseudo-intellect you currently reside in with your lacy frills, drive a four-wheeler (with muddy tires) into your office, and blow cigar and cigarette smoke in your face for hours on end.

If I wanted a self-driving car, I would go out and buy a fugging horse.

In reply to #33

02/08/2017 2:54 PM

I'm not in favor of the tax nor the ban. As I said in my OP, I have a hard time trusting a computer to do a better job than me driving. If anything, I agree with what Phys says in this post:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/comment/1190891/Re-If-Self-Driving-Cars-Become-Effective-Should-We-Tax-Driving

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

02/08/2017 3:13 PM

Yes, but in this case, it is more fun to shoot at the messenger, and watch him dance!

In reply to #33

02/08/2017 4:08 PM

Don't come to Texas because we see, smell, and can navigate around bull crap without any outside agency required.

Lets hear an AMEN!

Driving is a liberty and in Texas if you attempt to violate a liberty there are enough rednecks with pickups and guns to protect our liberties. My two favorite states are Washington state and Texas. In both you have a right to protect yourself. And both are state free income tax. I wonder if there is a connection?

02/09/2017 8:17 AM

In reviewing the average perception of Joe Public, it is a great idea to tax driverless cars and stop people driving or owning vehicles. It should really be the reserve of certain privileged few persons and all companies and of course governments to own, operate any moving vehicle that may be propelled on any street anywhere in the world.

Joe Public should really have no rights at all, in fact, he does not need nor deserve any rights, again, reserved for certain few.

The up side is you can convert your garage into a spare room, or workshop. You wont need a drive way so that could be put to use for growing your Monsanto vegetables or additional space for your solar panel array. You would save water as you don't need to was a vehicle, save time as you don't need to polish the vehicle, a cost saving on all the silly fuel you would have used, no road taxes, license fees, government taxes etc. All in all it is a great cost saving, so I have decided to go with the alternative and support driverless vehicles and taxing drivers to death.

Of course the knock on affect to funeral homes, accident investigators, 911 folks, ambulance drivers, fire services, hospitals, doctors, councils, road builders, road maintainers, tarmac suppliers, traffic sign manufacturers, road marking painters, governments etc, etc will not be a problem.

Just bought myself a 4 leg drive horse. Unfortunately I cannot lift share as it is only a single seater, not much boot space either, body work is fine, all seems to be in working order and the mileage is great. And I don't need insurance or license fees. It runs on 2pts of beer. It is a draft horse. Of course I will never starve to death as I can always eat my transport if need be ad have lots of glue.

Toasted Tesla and bacon with salad, to go, please.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #50

02/09/2017 9:01 AM

Have you ever actually eaten horse meat? I hear it resembles human flesh. It does not at all sound appealing to me. It would be like eating my friend.

In reply to #53

02/09/2017 9:15 AM

Of course I have eaten horse. France it is common, Africa donkey is eaten. It is more common in your food chain than you realise. It looks just like beef. Nothing at all like people. But pigs, now they are closer to people in many ways. Polony originally contained donkey meat. The chow dog was a meat source. If one cooks it badly it tastes lousy. Ah well, feed the cat another goldfish.

Guru

In reply to #54

02/09/2017 9:27 AM

I hope I never find horse meat in my personal food chain, and if I do, I feel sorry for the bastard that serves that to me.

In reply to #55

02/09/2017 10:53 AM

http://www.naturalnews.com/040995_horse_meat_slaughterhouses_USDA_approval.html

Not to worry my friend, you have been eating it for a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21034942

The Brits too.

No matter how well one cooks the saddle, it always remains chewy and tough. Better to discard that accoutrement as wastage.

Guru

In reply to #56

02/09/2017 11:01 AM

I know there is a slaughter house nearby my city (less than 100 miles). I also have learned that over 90% of their shipments are to France.

ADMIN: Deleted Post

Vulgar/Rude/Improper Behavior: This post was partially deleted because it did not adhere to the behavioral policies of the site. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ and the Rules of Conduct.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (1); Bayes (3); fjheller (3); gutmonarch (1); IQ (11); jack of all trades (4); James Stewart (22); Kilowatt0 (1); lyn (3); phph001 (4); Phys (4); PWSlack (2); Rixter (1); ronc (3); SolarEagle (2); StandardsGuy (1); Tornado (2); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Need Engineering Help Please Read Should Be Simple!?!   Next in Forum: Looking for a List of Technical Illustrators and Prototype Builders

Advertisement