CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: If Self-Driving Cars Become Effective, Should We Tax Driving?   Next in Forum: Flowing Pipelines
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Active Contributor

Looking for a List of Technical Illustrators and Prototype Builders

02/07/2017 9:25 AM

I live in a rural part of Maine and technical resources are scarce. I'm looking for someone to build a scale model of a machine and a technical illustrator so we can apply for grants.

Is there a list I can review?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 677

Re: Looking for a list of technical illustrators and prototype builders

02/07/2017 9:37 AM

Is Google not available <...in a rural part of Maine...>, then?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 302

02/07/2017 9:43 AM

yellow pages,... google.

out of curiosity, What is the complexity of your machine? and supporting material/documents for the model build.

In reply to #2

02/07/2017 11:26 AM

It's a fairly simple machine designed for lawn and ground maintenance and an untrained operator. We are still working on the design, this is just anticipating a specific request in a few months.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 62
In reply to #4

02/07/2017 2:27 PM

Contact the University of Maine. They may take it on as a student project or may be able to get you a local reference. They do have engineering schools here.

In reply to #5

02/07/2017 3:29 PM

Hi....Orono is a bit far; think I'll try SMCC, which has several components which are grad. school level, i.e. composites lab. Local college, Bowdoin has an architectural major and plenty of talented people; but, having hired students before, you never know who you'll get and what you'll get.

I've got the names of several people itching to rev. up their CADD systems. That may be where I'll go since we can include photo backgrounds and do a working model. Again, this is technical and advanced. I've never priced out CADD techs., but I'm open to discuss end products and pricing.

Bath Iron Works has quite a few marine draftsmen, and this discussion has reminded me that a guy I work out with who owns a fine cabinetry shop was once a draftsman for BIW (Navy Destroyers).

Thanks for the input.

Register to Reply
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #6

02/07/2017 4:21 PM

If you haven't already take a look at that model maker site. I believe they gave pay rates/what you can expect.

Looks like you've got some good leads now. Let us know if you're successful and how you found your illustrator and/or model maker. Some future CR4 member might find the info useful.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #7

02/08/2017 10:24 AM

There are two commercial 'model making' businesses in Maine. One specializes in ships, the other does model RR buildings. This one has a series of instructional videos on different techniques. Curious? https://www.barmillsmodels.com/index.php#anc-videoclinics

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 62
In reply to #6

02/07/2017 6:37 PM

In reply to #8

02/08/2017 9:49 AM

More likely I'll contact some of these people:

https://www.mainecompositesalliance.org/

Their channel partners are:

Channel Partners

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #4

02/08/2017 3:36 PM

Does it look like this?:

These make wonderful lawn adornments.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 9

02/07/2017 10:43 AM

How far are you from a population center in Maine? You *might* try Craigslist in Portland (I assume they have a Craigslist) or even Boston. And tap into the University of Maine. Find a contact in the engineering school or college. You might get some referrals or be able to post the job on a job board.

Or look what I just found by Googling "technical illustration": http://technicalillustrators.org/

and "technical model building": http://www.modelmakers.org/.

Can't help myself. Used to be a reference librarian at a couple of universities and my impulse is always to try to answer a question.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #3

02/08/2017 9:52 AM

Um, not the best venue; might list with several student employment services.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

Re: Looking for a List of Technical Illustrators and Prototype Builders

02/08/2017 8:15 AM

This may be a long shot, there is a privately owned company in Cornish, ME that might be able to work with you. https://www.helibars.com/

In reply to #9

02/08/2017 9:58 AM

Hah, my nephew is a Harley mechanic in Arkansas; 'hey Floydie, could you make me xxxxyyyy out of old Harley frames'....My dad rode and was a precision tool & die maker turning engineering prints into working machines for Bell Labs. Interesting suggestion, thanks.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #12

02/08/2017 1:13 PM

You're welcome. I toured their facility as part of an evaluation on one of their products. Their operation seemed small yet impressive.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #14

02/08/2017 3:39 PM

so then, it is a lawnmower based on a Harley frame, and you cut the grass by spinning donuts in the yard?

Wow.

In reply to #16

02/08/2017 3:51 PM

More likely by rotating the belt driven rear wheel horizontally and using the spokes to trim the grass.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (2); fjheller (6); James Stewart (2); phoenix911 (1); PWSlack (1); Tom_Consulting (2); wmerryall (3)

Previous in Forum: If Self-Driving Cars Become Effective, Should We Tax Driving?   Next in Forum: Flowing Pipelines

Advertisement