CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Imagery Encoded in Sound Spectra   Next in Forum: I Need The Specific Transducer With db Re Micro Pascal At 1k For Underwater Comm
Close
Close
Close
28 comments
Active Contributor

Studies Showing EMF Radiation From PLC Smartmeters

02/11/2017 3:54 PM

I am looking for studies showing the level of EMF radiation from narrowband PLC (power line carrier) smart meter systems such as PUDs have, in particular, those using Aclara modules in the meters.

Surely, there is some data out there concerning this. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Smart Meters Aclara
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

Re: Studies Showing EMF Radiation From PLC Smartmeters

02/11/2017 4:02 PM

Duplicate thread, duplicate response.

Google would know.

You might worry more about EMFR from all powerlines first.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

02/11/2017 4:10 PM

I've tried searching Google.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

02/11/2017 4:19 PM

Try again and look at your other thread.

Studies Showing EMF Radiation From PLC Smartmeters

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #3

02/11/2017 4:32 PM

The link provided does not answer my question at all.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

02/11/2017 4:53 PM

Well then, perhaps your question has no merit and has never been studied.

What makes you think that a low power signal carried on a power line can make yoy crazy.

Smart Meter Education Network - How To Tell If I Have a AMI DTE ...

Smart meter - Wikipedia

Smart Meter Questions and Answers | EMC Coweta-Fayette

Why not use this

and call the power company or the maker of the device you suspect?

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #7

02/11/2017 6:02 PM

Because another person gives a link that does not answer my question, how does that make my question supposedly off topic and never studied?

I never wrote anything about power lines making a person crazy! It sounds like someone else must not be thinking clearly!

You jump to a false conclusion when you wrote, "Why not use this" and have an image of an old fashioned telephone and go on to say, "and call the power company or the maker of the device you suspect?"

I have! The manufacturer referred me to the PUD and the PUD, so far, has refused to divulge the information I requested.

See the following links about smart meters, mostly about RF type:

By Robert States, MS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLeCTaSG2-U&feature=youtu.be

http://emfsafetynetwork.org/american-academy-of-environmental-medicine-calls-for-a-halt-to-wireless-smart-meters/

Robert States, MS: http://www.electrosmogprevention.org/public-health-alert/smart-meters-switching-mode-power-supply-dirty-electricity/

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/harvard-medical-doctor-warns-against-smart-meters/

http://electromagnetichealth.org/electromagnetic-health-blog/letter-johansson-smart-meters/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/09/vickie-warren-on-effects-of-electromagnetic-fields.aspx

http://www.home-biology.com/electromagnetic-radiation/high-frequency-electromagnetic-fields/smart-meters-grid

http://www.bioinitiative.org/rf-color-charts/

http://beforeitsnews.com/eu/2013/06/uk-delays-all-smart-meter-installations-by-a-year-italy-bans-them-entirely-2526336.html

As for the U.S government's radiation guidelines, they cannot be relied on. A person needs to look to see where the funding comes from.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

02/11/2017 6:18 PM

Perhaps you did not "wr[i]te anything about power lines making a person crazy".

That was an inference I drew from your original post.

"As for the U.S government's radiation guidelines, they cannot be relied on."

If you didn't trust the government before the last election, hold onto to your skivvies!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #9

02/12/2017 5:40 AM

Lyn: And tell me seriously, really, since when has any US government been trusted? Your previous empire builders have certainly screwed up the world.

WCart, try this link or be more specific with what you are looking for. You might get the info/help your looking for and state if this is homework. And add the country you are in. It helps.

http://www.eiwellspring.org/plc/PLC_smartmeter_health.htm

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

02/12/2017 4:44 PM

You are delusional!

Don't expect me to accept your insane ramblings any more than the traitor-in-chief's.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #13

02/13/2017 7:54 AM

C'mon now Lyn. Delusional? Publicly broadcast, you cannot trust your politicians to know simple geography. Korea! Crimea! It says it all.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #12

02/13/2017 1:17 PM

"since when has any US government been trusted"

There are over 2.8 million people employed by the U. S. Government.

To imply that none of them can be trusted is irresponsible.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

02/13/2017 1:51 PM

Hmm! Your own words sir: If you didn't trust the government before the last election, hold onto to your skivvies!

Guru

In reply to #19

02/13/2017 2:12 PM

Opps!

Caught by my own words.

I stand properly dressed down.

Guru

In reply to #20

02/13/2017 2:29 PM

No hard feelings my friend. I just needed to air my feelings too.

Guru

Good Answers: 483

02/11/2017 4:34 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741
In reply to #5

02/11/2017 4:48 PM

Is this why chocolate bars are wrapped in foil?

Good Answers: 97
In reply to #6

02/13/2017 1:02 AM

This one's none too happy, for sure.

Guru

Good Answers: 97
In reply to #5

02/13/2017 1:05 AM

But if it doesn't melt in your girlfriend's pocket, you probably should go find another girlfriend.

Guru

Good Answers: 26

02/12/2017 2:09 AM

If you want data from a scientific study regarding the risks of emf radiation from smart meters, you're most likely not going to find it. Why? First you need to find out how the meters work.

1. They transmit a signal for a very short amount of time. The purpose is to send the power company information regarding the energy your home/business is using.

2. The meter transmits at intervals. It is not transmitting continuously.

3. Health risks from emf radiation fall into two categories. Ionizing and non-ionizing.

4. The smart meter will not put out enough power to be rated ionizing.

5. The smart meter does put out non-ionizing emf radiation. Most our out bodies can't detect this small amount of energy. There are some who do and those people may be affected by the signal. There are also some people who can become ill from strong, continuous RF energy - if you're interested, read up on lymphoma and cell towers.

6. A smart meter puts out a fraction of the power a cell tower does. Since the power is so low, it's very, very unlikely to have an effect on people.

7. A better use of research money/grants, would be for studies on things that put out larger amounts of power and do it more frequently. Cordless phones and Cell towers come to mind.

I think there's a lot of other things to worry about. And remember that IoT devices will be communicating with your router, thus your exposure will continue to increase as we become more connected.

If you're that concerned about your smart meter, place a piece of copper mesh on the inside of your house, opposite the smart meter. You could place the copper mesh on the wall, then hang a picture over it.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 8

02/12/2017 2:33 AM

The community most affected by digital signals on power lines are radio amateurs; "hams". As individuals, local clubs and national societies they have a strong interest in the pollution generated. Health damaging rfi levels are much stronger than the noise to destroy radio signals at levels adequate for communication.

Good luck with seeing some of of this rubbish suppressed.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 406

02/12/2017 8:20 PM

Yes, it amazing what a simple Google search can discover. The modules transmit in the 450-470MHz spectrum at approximately 229mW (milliwatts) to DCU (Data Collection Units) located typically 25 ft. above street level, not via PLC. They transmit 4 times a day for 70ms (milliseconds) for a total of approximately 1.7 MINUTES per YEAR. Reference.

Compare that to your WiFi router or cell phone usage. Which do you think exposes your brain to more accumulated RF energy exposure???

In reply to #14

02/17/2017 5:54 AM

Good information. I was trying to put it into words and you said it perfectly! GA to you!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #14

02/20/2017 1:59 AM

This information doesn't apply. It is for gas meters and not narrowband PLC smart meters that measure electric power usage which is what I was asking for (I am interested in radiation levels for frequencies above 60 Hz).

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

02/20/2017 9:27 AM

I knew that, but you can use the same thought processes to find the data yourself...which you will find to be nearly the same...

In reply to #24

03/20/2017 11:54 PM

You wrote, "I knew that, but you can use the same thought processes to find the data yourself...which you will find to be nearly the same..." It's wasteful of a person's time to post information that is not relevant. If I had found what I was looking for, then obviously, I wouldn't have asked the question. I have searched using Google but people need to realize that not all information is available to those who use Google.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

03/21/2017 3:17 AM

"...A person needs to look to see where the funding comes from...", just like you should consider your sources of information. For example, regarding the AAEM referenced in #8 above, Wikipedia states that:

"...Quackwatch lists the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) as a questionable organization, and its certifying board, the American Board of Environmental Medicine as a dubious certifying board.[4] They are not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.[8]..."

Another of your references quotes a Harvard-trained doctor that states that there is "...ample evidence..." but fails to reference his claim; quite an authority since he is a family practitioner, not an epidemiologist, without any published studies on the topic.

Similarly for the rest of your links...you trust those folks and you don't trust the government???

Anyway, a well-worded Google search returns plenty of published data that directly answers your question. The problem (for you) is that the ERP (Effective Radiated Power) levels from the Alacra PLC modules are orders of magnitude BELOW that which you receive from your cellphone and your WiFi router.

Which do you think is more damaging, that Bluetooth headset that you place in intimate contact with your brain for hours on end, the cellphone that you either hold up to your head or place in your pocket near your heart or reproductive organs, your WiFi router, or a microwave oven that has a warning about getting too close if you have a pacemaker?

Hint: the 50milliwatt output of the Alacra PLC module is half the power of the Bluetooth headset (100milliwatts); the rest are much more powerful, and I seriously doubt that you spend any amount of time with your head next to your power meter!

In reply to #26

03/25/2017 7:22 PM

There are some people who don't want smart meters in their homes. They have been told that they're dangerous and that they put out RF radiation! I've spoken to these people and they have opted out of having the smart meters. Cost is $100 to opt out and an additional cost on their electric bill.

There is a "conspiracy theory" involved, which goes something like this. The electric company is doing this to control the electricity going to your home. They are going to increase the rate at different times of the day, which will allow them to make more money.

The business side of me looks at it as:

1. A way to reduce labor costs. The cost to have many meter readers, the workman's comp and disability cases - not to mention lawsuits.

2. A way to be reimbursed for the increased cost of power generation when they are running near max capacity.

Utilities are regulated by both federal and state agencies. Here in CA, we have the CPUC - any increased in rate must be approved first.

And if someone is forced to have a smart meter, but they are truly concerned about the RF radiation, then they can place a sheet of copper (or copper mesh) on the wall, opposite of the meter.

You can't do that with a cell phone, Bluetooth device, microwave oven, IoT devices, WiFi router or cordless phone, now can you?

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 4

05/22/2017 3:44 AM

Methinks some of the posters ...are already showing signs of impairment!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (2); Autobroker (3); IQ (4); Lenp (1); lyn (7); RAMConsult (3); redfred (1); Rixter (1); WCart (5); Zaf (1)

Previous in Forum: Imagery Encoded in Sound Spectra   Next in Forum: I Need The Specific Transducer With db Re Micro Pascal At 1k For Underwater Comm

Advertisement