CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Studies Showing EMF Radiation From PLC Smartmeters   Next in Forum: Construct Harmonic Wave Form
Close
Close
Close
49 comments
Associate

Oil Leakage

02/12/2017 9:00 AM

Dear all

Does the oil leakage from any part of transformer causes intering the air in transformer

thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: oil leakage
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 69

Re: oil leakage

02/12/2017 9:19 AM

Oil out. Atmosphere in.

Wet, leak, seep or drip. It's a matter of time.

Good Answers: 92

02/12/2017 9:46 AM

Fix the leak!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 771

02/12/2017 10:43 AM

IF (and this is a big if) your transformer is topped with pressurized sulphur hexafluoride gas then you might not have air in your transformer, YET. However, if your transformer requires SF6 then very little air in your transformer can cause a catastrophic, explosive failure.

Fix this leak before big trouble happens.

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #3

02/13/2017 7:01 AM

No oil leaks on SF6 Tfx's. Only gas. And when it mixes with moisture, an acid. Contains chlorine.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #11

02/13/2017 3:54 PM

SF6, when mixed with air results in acid, I understand, but chlorine? How do you reckon?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 771
In reply to #16

02/13/2017 4:05 PM

SF6 does not react with anything to make any acid. This is fundamental reason it makes a very good gaseous electrical insulator. Quoting the Wikipedia link:

There is virtually no reaction chemistry for SF6. A main contribution to the inertness of SF6 is the steric hindrance of the sulfur atom, whereas its heavier group 16 counterparts, such as SeF6 are more reactive than SF6 as a result of less steric hindrance (See hydrolysis example).[5] It does not react with molten sodium below its boiling point,[6] but reacts exothermically with lithium.

So unless there is some metallic Lithium around.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #17

02/13/2017 4:59 PM

But chlorine? Last time I checked, transformers were not capable of nucleosynthesis.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

02/14/2017 3:02 AM

'And when it mixes with moisture, an acid. Contains chlorine." Sorry gents, I have no idea how I managed to include this with the statement, as it is completely unrelated to CR4.

I never noticed it when I posted previously. The statement should only have been: No oil leaks on SF6 Tfx's. Only gas.

Thanks for catching this out.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #11

02/15/2017 9:42 AM

Please tell me you meant to say Fluorine, but it does not even contain free fluorine. SF6 is very very non-reactive, almost a noble gas substitute, oh snap, it IS a noble gas substitute.

In reply to #25

02/15/2017 11:00 AM

Nope, not at all. The last partial sentence I can only imagine was snuck in, (English, sneaked in; American), when I went to the post button in preview. And low and behold, I never noticed it when I proof read it. I obviously had my eyes wide shut. And the insert was totally unrelated to the posting. And I had attached a link to SF6 handling, That never showed up either on the post. It will now.

It might be handy for someone. Who knows?

http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/22/21612.pdf

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #30

02/15/2017 11:47 AM

It appears the major hazards chemically are (1) suffocation due to heavy gas accumulation in a low lying area, (2) direct exposure to arc products where the gas was confined in the space where the arcing took place. This could break the gas down to a wider range of compounds, possibly including F2 gas which is very toxic.

In reply to #31

02/15/2017 12:03 PM

It is also a green house gas.

quote: According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, SF
6 is the most potent greenhouse gas that it has evaluated, with a global warming potential of 23,900[20] times that of CO
when compared over a 100-year period. Measurements of SF6 show that its global average mixing ratio has increased by about 0.2 ppt (parts per trillion) per year to over 7 ppt.[21] Sulfur hexafluoride is also extremely long-lived, is inert in the troposphere and stratosphere and has an estimated atmospheric lifetime of 800–3200 years.

Guru

In reply to #32

02/15/2017 12:09 PM

Yeah, not great for the environment as to its lifetime in the atmosphere.

In reply to #33

02/15/2017 12:20 PM

A lovely 1901 invention that is great for electrical applications, until it goes wrong and it is always the O rings and seals that perish, and then it goes wrong big time. And an oil leak is far easier to detect than a gas leak. No dust sticks to a gas leak and there is no telltale drips or runs. Oil has an advantage here.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 349
In reply to #34

02/15/2017 2:01 PM

And an oil leak is far easier to detect than a gas leak

Actually modern SF6 gas switchgear (well the good quality stuff) has built-in pressure monitoring devices allowing pressure monitoring (either by gas gauge or remote contact back to the control room) for utility piece of mind.

Its only the cheap, sh*it quality SF6 gear that actually leaks SF6. Modern SF6 switchgear, properly designed and built will not leak over its lifetime. Unfortunately its the cheap, sh*it that has resulted in increased network-wide bans of SF6 switchgear.

In reply to #37

02/15/2017 2:40 PM

True that. I fail to understand the ethics of any company that would build such crap.

In reply to #38

02/15/2017 3:14 PM

Rolls Royce has ethics, they just posted a loss of £4b because their 'ethics' were to bribe for business but they made good crap for aeroplanes.

Ethics are for Joe Public only. Dont be fooled, it is all false with companies and banks. Look up Bundesbank and their ethics. Guess who has been money laundering because they are ethically bankrupt. Hmmm!

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 349
In reply to #38

02/15/2017 4:17 PM

It all comes down to cost. An example, one poor utility down here brought really cheap pole top transformers. The bushing seals leaked and destroyed them requiring them to be pulled from the network. About 60% of those installed failed within 2 years, they pulled the whole lot after that.

It's quite common and makes it very hard to sell a new quality product to a utility when their yard is filled with multiple examples of tried and failed junk they blew their budget on.

In reply to #43

02/15/2017 4:43 PM

I worked in Ethiopia recently, all Indian gear and it is so bad they cannot trip breakers and re-energise them. They have no spares and but yards full of equipment that is useless. The last sub I worked in the breaker was tripped and enegised with a broom stick, and on tensioning an OPGW, the next day we found the tower peak totally bent.