CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Thousands Ordered To Evacuate After Oroville Dam Predicted To Fail   Next in Forum: Find Exoplanets!
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 126

Quantized Inertia and the EM Drive

02/14/2017 8:29 AM

Dr Mike McCulloch has offered a theory as to why the EM Drive may work and has linked it with the rotational anomaly/problem found in galaxies that is currently explained by dark matter. I found it an interesting read and thought I'd pass it along:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/emdrive-uk-scientist-claims-physics-190111061.html

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 483

Re: Quantized Inertia and the EM Drive

02/14/2017 10:57 AM

McCulloch's theory depends on the Unruh radiation. Here is a simple explanation:

http://physicsfromtheedge.blogspot.com/2015/10/explaining-mihsc-with-schematics.html

I can't say I completely understand all of it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 122
In reply to #1

02/15/2017 9:58 AM

I can say I understand it not. I can say that if I were standing under it, I would be all wet.

Rindler horizon? I totally do not understand that part. Is that a shift in the observables horizon due to acceleration? why not velocity doing the same thing?

Good Answers: 483
In reply to #2

02/15/2017 1:19 PM

I've seen it explained that Unruh radiation is like Hawking radiation, which I understand is when a black hole captures one particle of a virtual particle pair at the event horizon and the other escapes.

If the spacetime is expanding, at some distance, nothing can reach the observer even at the speed of light, and that is the Rindler horizon, analogous to the black hole event horizon. Unruh radiation is the equivalent of Hawking radiation, only from the Rindler horizon instead of the black hole event horizon.

If the observer is accelerating, the Unruh radiation is more energetic from the direction to which the observer is accelerating and this causes "inertia". The Unruh radiation has a wavelength associated with it, and the minimum energy has the maximum wavelength of the distance to the Rindler horizon. Apparently, this minimum or quantum amount of centrifugal acceleration of stars causes the anomalous rotation speed of galaxies.

I'm thinking that if the observer is moving with a constant velocity with respect to another observer, that the distance to the Rindler horizon will be the same for both. Only with acceleration will there be any difference.

(I'm not sure if any of this makes sense to me, but it's interesting to think about.)

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 122
In reply to #3

02/15/2017 3:40 PM

Now that I am thoroughly confused (not really), I will go out for my after noon stroll, but I expect I won't look over my shoulder for Runha, or Unruh.

Let me see, if I have this right. The photons from the fore horizon have more energy and produce inertia, but the craft is accelerating toward this horizon, so it takes more energy to keep accelerating the increasing inertia? How is that ever going to work where a microwave EM drive is providing all the thrust?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Thousands Ordered To Evacuate After Oroville Dam Predicted To Fail   Next in Forum: Find Exoplanets!

Advertisement