CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: Buterfly Valves   Next in Forum: Woodward 505 Question
Close
Close
Close
17 comments

Rotork IQT250 Actuator Troubleshooting

02/16/2017 1:18 AM

We have a Rotork IQT250 actuator unit installed at site, which recently stopped responding to local as well as remote commands. The valve can be opened and closed using the actuator hand-wheel though. There is no alarm indication appearing on the LCD display. Power supply and cable connections were verified to be okay. Unfortunately we don't have the setting tool with us to proceed with our diagnostics. What could be the possible reason behind this fault?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: actuator IQT250 Rotork
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 673

Re: Rotork IQT250 Actuator Troubleshooting

02/16/2017 3:52 AM

One of the possibilities is the compound one of

• 50% not having the setting tool and
  • 50% not having enough common-sense to phone Rotork.

In reply to #1

02/16/2017 5:39 AM

Thank you very much for your valuable response PWSlack. I shall consider developing some common sense from now and will let you know when I gain enough. Now please let some professionals share their opinion about the topic of discussion.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 673
In reply to #2

02/16/2017 5:48 AM

Rather than wait endlessly for opinions from random strangers, is there any particular problem with using the telephone to Rotork to obtain some up-to-date, instant, advice from an organisation that knows its products? For instance, is a telephone service unavailable at that location for some reason? If it is, surely one of the <...we...> knows how to use one?

In reply to #3

02/16/2017 7:46 AM

You really think I haven't tried out that option? The unit is more than 6 years old with an expired warranty and the model is most probably obsolete. I tried to diagnose the fault and is unable to proceed without the setting tool which was not handed over by the contractor before us.

Rotork does not provide direct maintenance support in Qatar. I am already in contact with the local service provider and is awaiting their quotation. If you are familiar with O&M projects, you must be knowing the value of time and money. I am searching online as a last attempt to avoid the expense and delay.

Now please stop trolling my thread.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster #1

02/16/2017 5:51 AM

Something is f&^%$£ed.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 296

02/16/2017 9:21 AM

we have a Retork, can't recall the model.

Do you have a electrical or maintenance department, to make sure its the valve and not any utility issue.

The start checking the valve such as the sensors/limit switchs and go from there.

In reply to #6

02/18/2017 1:15 AM

We already did that. Please go through my replies for rest of the comments. I have mentioned all the steps I have taken.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 111

02/16/2017 11:06 AM

Please include information for the environment around the Rotork actuator. If salt spray, then look to the wiring conduit glands, and re-terminate wires after cleaning contacts.

First, you should make the call to Rotork, listen carefully, and heed their advice, especially if the actuator is still under warranty.

Good Answers: 964

02/16/2017 12:40 PM
United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 22

02/17/2017 9:04 AM

"Power supply and cable connections were verified to be okay". Is a common statement from a newbie....

It is very possible the above observations may cause confusions?

You did not specify where and how much power you have verified?

1. Have you measured it at the power source end but not on the driven end?

2. The power "verified" may not be real? you can at least a lamp /connect another load, to see if enough power is available to actuate the load?

3. Have you done any continuity tests?

You need to develop a systematic way of effective troubleshooting and validation!

In reply to #9

02/18/2017 1:06 AM

Yes, I am pretty much a newbie. The actuator had stopped responding to the operator commands from control room. Below mentioned are the steps I followed:

1. Checked the LCD display for any alarm notifications and found none.
  2. Checked the local mode operation from the actuator control panel and found that the unit is not responding.
  3. Operated the valve using the actuator's hand wheel and confirmed that the valve is not jammed. This also confirmed that the limit switches are operational as open/close statuses as well as state of motion were being correctly displayed.
  4. Checked the 24 VDC power supply from DDC panel and was found to be perfect.
  5. Opened the cable termination chamber and confirmed availability of 24 VDC power supply in the unit. Cleaned and rewired the power and signal cables.

In order to investigate further, the setting tool is required without which it is impossible to go through data logs of the unit. We have ordered a new unit along with setting tool as an urgent replacement and the existing unit can be removed from service only after the the new one is delivered. The logs can be checked for any fault history once the setting tool is available.

Now the only part left will be the double sealed front control panel where the converters, motor control PCB and main PCB are kept. The maintenance manual clearly states that there is no field serviceable parts there and shall not be opened. Still, we would like to give it a try before sending it to the third party for repair since the warranty got expired long ago.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #11

02/18/2017 8:21 AM

Getting digital meter to read voltages is nice but power integrity May not be reliable..

The next steps I would suggest if I may, is to manually simulate the expected operation of the device in question. Manually applying power instead of turning its shaft which you claimed is free and non-binding.

1. Disconnect, mark and label all wires going to the proportional valve in question.

2. Bring a fully charged portable 24 volt (battery) power supply next to the device in question.

3. Observe polarity and take note as you do the following, momentary, manually connect the portable power leads to the motor... Try as much as possible to bypass or jump any control switches, (limit, reversing, etc.) and/or sensors that are in series, going to the motor..

4. Observe for any mechanical response, like slight motor shaft movement, motor humming sound as you conduct these additional steps .....

If you can post some pictures, it will be helpful for everyone to visualize the condition..

good luck!

In reply to #14

02/19/2017 12:20 AM

Will definitely try this one out. However, the actuator is powered by a switching power supply unit which is also serving 4 other similar units. We verified reliability of the faulty unit's power source by connecting with working actuators.

I work at an Airport and hence cannot share with you images of equipment because of the company's security policies. However, I am sharing some pictures of the model which I found online. Below is the link to its installation manual.

http://www.rotork.com/doc-dl/463

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 7

02/17/2017 9:07 AM

Rather than looking at it like some complicated electronically monitored assembly, troubleshoot it like any other motor controller you have in the plant.

It has a main power supply, reversing contactor, motor overload heaters & forward & reverse control contacts, over-torque switches that interrupt the power to the reversing contactor, a clutch switch that prevents electrical operation when the manual actuator is engaged, and end of travel limit switches that also interrupt the power to the reversing contactor. Possible internal thermal switches in the motor, look for extra small gauge wires. Open circuit = bad.

The LCD display ( a good name=Rotork) should show you what the designer thought would go bad, so you are looking for something unusual, like a wire fell off, so the control doesn't even know you are trying to do anything.

Register to Reply

In reply to #10

02/18/2017 1:14 AM

You got my point right. The LCD was supposed to display alarm notification if the fault was something the manufacturers had foreseen. It is supposed to display "MOTOR STALLED" alarm if the unit does not respond to a command, local as well as remote. But there are no alarms on display.We are waiting for the replacement unit to arrive so that we can experiment on the control module. The intention of my thread is to know whether any one else have experience a similar problem from this product.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 398
In reply to #12

02/18/2017 7:18 PM

Any time that you find an HMI (Human Machine Interface) panel/readout that is blank or unresponsive, then you know that you must first determine why. It could be power, fluid ingress, a failed pc board, etc., etc. Get the LCD to display correctly before you do anything else.

In reply to #15

02/18/2017 11:51 PM

The LCD display is working perfectly. It is just that there are no alarm notifications regarding the failure displayed on it.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 17 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); James Stewart (1); phoenix911 (1); PWSlack (2); Raj115 (7); RAMConsult (1); rwilliams (1); SolarEagle (1); vsar (2)

Previous in Forum: Buterfly Valves   Next in Forum: Woodward 505 Question

Advertisement