CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Yet Another Battery That Offers Almost Everything   Next in Forum: Cosmic Rays Are Messing Up Your Cell Phone
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

Noisy Furnace

02/17/2017 9:19 AM

A few weeks ago I posted a question about My furnace making an unusual amount of noise, I thank everyone who came up with possible suggestion to the problem.

I believe the problem was indeed caused by the ultrasonic humidifier. I just put in a new filter, the one I took out was only in for about 3 weeks, and the noise again subsided. The old filter looked clean but when I blew it out an enormous amount of "white" dust came out of it. Also a corner of the filter was slightly deformed.

I believe as one of You, I think it was Lyn, suggested it was most likely calcium from the tap water that I use in the humidifier.

Again I thank everyone who responded and I will keep all posted on any new developments.

oilcan13

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 64

Re: Noisy furnace

02/17/2017 9:30 AM

great! good things happen here when it's not getting too politico

inumerous thanks for checking back in with and update.

Good Answers: 1064

Re: Noisy Furnace

02/17/2017 11:03 AM

"Why Does My Humidifier Produce White Dust and How to Get Rid of It?

Only two humidifiers produce white dust, ultrasonic and impeller portable humidifiers. The white dust they disperse is nothing more than a natural by-product of the minerals present in the water you fill your humidifier with. Ultrasonic and Impeller humidifiers produce humidity through a steaming process so when the water in the humidifier is heated, the water turns to vapor which is then is sprayed out of the humidifier in a mist form. Within this mist are dissolved minerals from the water itself. The minerals land on furniture, tables, counter-tops etc. creating the white dust you see.

The dust produced is not harmful in anyway and nothing to be concerned about. It can be cleaned off just as any other household dust would be, no special treatment needed. The hardness of your water will decide how heavy or light this layer of white dust will be (hard water is rich in minerals so the harder your water is the more dust you can expect to find).

To help get rid of the white dust you can:

1. Use Distilled Water To Fill Your Humidifier Tank. Using distilled instead of tap water to fill your humidifier will cut down on dust significantly. Distilled water has a very low mineral count and therefore will not produce white dust that hard tap water will.
  2. Purchase a Demineralization Cartridge. A demineralization cartridge is specifically designed to trap the minerals before they become airborne into your home. (this will reduce or completely eliminate white dust).
  3. Purchase a Warm or Cool Mist Humidifier. If your water is really hard and the dust is too much to handle, it may be a good idea to invest in a portable warm or cool mist humidifier. These humidifiers do not operate in the same fashion that Ultrasonic do and therefore will not disperse a layer of white dust. The only difference to keep a watch out for is the noise level. Ultrasonic humidifiers are known for being very quiet during operation, warm mist is still decently quiet, but cool mist is known for making quiet a bit of noise with its fan."

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #2

02/17/2017 2:54 PM

Thanks for the info.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 9

02/17/2017 1:50 PM

Thanks for taking the time to check in, I'm reminded of "Stump the Chumps" on Car Talk, except CR4 members aren't chumps, and certainly not Lyn or whoever it was who explained the problem correctly.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 136
In reply to #3

02/17/2017 4:51 PM

Well now, I would not go that far... LOL Have a good weekend, and a good couple of weeks, I am outta here for a while.

Good Answers: 158
In reply to #3

02/18/2017 12:25 AM

Of course Click and Clack were hardly chumps either...

And I want to add my thanks to Oilcan13 for returning to report.

We're really lucky. Our water source is mostly melted snow that never spent any significant time underground. We see zero residue in or around our ultrasonic humidifier, and by chance just a few minutes ago I looked inside a teapot as I was filling it with tap water; it is somewhere between 10 and 20 years old, and has no sign of residue despite daily use.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (1); dkwarner (1); James Stewart (1); JE in Chicago (1); oilcan13 (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Yet Another Battery That Offers Almost Everything   Next in Forum: Cosmic Rays Are Messing Up Your Cell Phone

Advertisement