CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Cosmic Rays Are Messing Up Your Cell Phone   Next in Forum: 4-20 mA Surge Protector
Close
Close
Close
44 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 204

What is It?

02/17/2017 1:52 PM

Sometimes we get some very interesting items in our shop to coat.

It was hard to get the whole thing in the picture with my phone, it is a little over 5 feet from arm to arm. It weighs a little over 700lbs and is made of titanium.

At this time it is one of a kind, a prototype.

What is it?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 11

Re: What is It?

02/17/2017 2:05 PM

What kind of coating goes on it? (a delaying-tactic question)

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #1

02/17/2017 2:11 PM

A dry film lubricant. Only the teeth in the center hub.

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #3

02/18/2017 11:18 AM

We are looking for a dry lubricant for another new development in the engine field. Sort of a common bearing application on AL 7075 running with AL 7075.

It is ok to ask what you are using?

Thanks

In reply to #34

02/18/2017 4:47 PM

Contact me via P.M. with all your requirements and specs, I'm sure I can recommend something even if it's not ours.

Good Answers: 1103

02/17/2017 2:08 PM

Windmill bearing and hub support housing....?

In reply to #2

02/17/2017 2:12 PM

Good guess, but no cigar.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #4

02/17/2017 4:54 PM

Swashbuckler to the swash plate of the largest 'copter ever built - It will be YUUUUUGE!

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 625

02/17/2017 2:17 PM

some part of a helimicopter rotor swishy swashy thingy...?
Del

In reply to #5

02/17/2017 2:34 PM

You are on to something, but what kind of helimicoptor? It's new technology.

We coat helicopter parts everyday, this one is kind of special.

That answer is worth a good answer.

In reply to #6

02/17/2017 4:07 PM

Sikorsky S-70

...or maybe AH 64 Apache....

In reply to #9

02/17/2017 4:27 PM

higher tech, my original post said it's one of a kind, a prototype. It has not flown yet.

Hint : you got one of the companies involved right, and it is supposed to fly in 2017, so this part sitting in my shop is kind of "hot", we need to get it done a.s.a.p.

With your superior google skills, SolarEagle, I expect you will tell me exactly what this is from.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #10

02/17/2017 4:36 PM

You do know that leaking classified is a felony? This cannot be military of any kind.

I do not expect a police drone.

It is for one of those air-taxis that is autonomous.

In reply to #12

02/17/2017 4:46 PM

There is a lot more info on wiki then I have given here, it's all over the net, no secret. The companies involved have plenty of info on their websites about this aircraft. It is being developed for the military.

Not classified, no non discloser agreements signed for this one.

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #12

02/18/2017 6:58 AM

That was my first thought too , in fact the hair rose up on the back of neck when I saw the photo.

i don't publish photos or drawings of fly poop if they contain anything remotely resembling intellectual property , even more so if it belongs to someone else.

wars have been lost , people have died and companies bankrupted by the actions following unauthorised publication of IP

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

02/17/2017 4:53 PM

In reply to #17

02/17/2017 5:10 PM

We have a winner!!! It is the lower rotor hub of the SB-1 Defiant. G.A.

3 years ago, we coated the upper rotor hubs (5) of it's little brother the S-97 Raider.

It is an impressive machine, as is the Raider. I suspect we will see something of the "X2" technology in our militaries future.

Just google SB-1 Defiant, or S-97 Raider, or Sikorski X2 technology, pretty impressive for helicopters.

http://defense-update.com/20131022_sikorsky-boeing-team-introduces-the-sb1-defiant.html

http://raider.sikorsky.com/x2-basics.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Vertical_Lift#Sikorsky.2FBoeing

I appreciate having a little part in something I find exciting.

In reply to #20

02/17/2017 6:46 PM

S97....Looks like it's all engines and gas tanks....

In reply to #28

02/17/2017 6:52 PM

Read it's specs.. It's speed, ceiling, maneuverability, it seems like a bad hombre to me.

In reply to #29

03/08/2017 10:46 AM

Yeah, hang some 0.50 cal gun pods, maybe a .303 Gatling, and some rocket tubes on that bad boy.

In reply to #28

02/17/2017 7:41 PM

Besides, the S97 is the little brother, the SB-1 is the big boy. It took Sikorsky and Boeing to come up with this one. "S" for Sikorsky and "B" for Boeing, "1" for their first collaboration.

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #6

02/17/2017 9:58 PM

Its part of a super drone and you are actually coating 4 parts and not just on.

Good Answers: 69

02/17/2017 3:07 PM

Intergalactic Planetary Helimicopter?

In reply to #7

02/17/2017 3:17 PM

I love the Beasties, saw them back in '98 or '99 with Rage against the Machine, great show.

Not quite intergalactic high tech, but this is still pretty high tech.

Side note : I am coming to visit your fine town for work in the end of March.

In reply to #8

02/17/2017 5:20 PM

Sounds like a good un.. I'm sure I've seen them too.. but when?.. It must have been really good because I don't remember it.

Has there ever e been a CR4 meet and greet? I'd bop downtown for the first annual. The Signature Lounge on the 96th floor of the Hancock is a fave. The best views and one of the fastest elevators. You can't go wrong!

In reply to #22

02/17/2017 5:33 PM

I've been to Chicago many times before, a good time city for sure, never been to Lombard before, I know it's a suburb of Chicago, but know nothing of it. Last time I was there we went to the Hard Rock, The Blue Oyster, and this club called the Excalibur, by far the coolest night club I have ever been to. Was built into an old church, with multiple floors, each having their own musical flavor. Think I stayed on the alternative floor, they were playing Nine Inch Nails and introduced me to Front 242.

02/17/2017 4:35 PM

Well they are not rotor hubs for Ospreys - too small.

Probably a VTOL craft like a helicopter, possibly a drone to carry supplies to the front line and injured back from the front line. I do not think it is a variable azimuth rotor hub.

In reply to #11

02/17/2017 4:53 PM

Not a drone, and it is a fixed rotor hub.

Good Answers: 155

02/17/2017 4:44 PM

Rotary engine block?

In reply to #13

02/17/2017 4:47 PM

Del has the closet answer.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 625
In reply to #15

02/17/2017 5:39 PM

Do I getz Tuna?
Del

In reply to #24

02/17/2017 5:53 PM

No tuna, but I was just about to open this for my babies...

Yes, that is a real can in my real hand, I can save it for you if you want. It's a treat for my babies but if you want it, I'll send it to you, and they can wait for tomorrow after I go to the grocery store after work.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 81
In reply to #15

02/20/2017 4:08 AM

"Del has the closet answer."

Del does a lot of stuff in the closet.

02/17/2017 4:59 PM

argh.. too late to be right..

In reply to #19

02/17/2017 5:14 PM

That is the "X2" so I will give you a G.A. Maybe I can buy you a beer when I am in Lombard next month fixing our sister plants issues.

02/17/2017 5:51 PM

I could do Lombard.. My brother.. aka partner in many projects lives right next door in Wheaton. Beer is good.. Excalibur.. Ahh ..That was a very cool place (in my youth).. Friends and I spent a lot of nights there as well as a sister club in the same building.

I noticed that when we hung out at the top of a certain spiral staircase I would occasionally get tipped for letting people pass that hadn't been up there and thought it was an exclusive level. Priceless.. I guess I looked like I worked there.

We always had huge laughs when things like that happened..

In reply to #25

02/17/2017 6:23 PM

Yes, Excalibur was about 25 years in my youth... Travelling with another manager to Lombard on March 20th, I will P.M. you when we get closer to that date. The other manager who is driving, thinks we will leave here, a northern suburb of Detroit, early Monday morning, drive to a western suburb of Chicago, take care of what we couldn't take care of in over 6 months via the phone and emails, and come home the same day. I think we will need a couple of days if not a week. If we have the time, I would love to meet another CR4 member.

Good Answers: 3

02/18/2017 5:33 AM

That looks like CGI.

The rendering / lighting is off.

:)

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175

02/18/2017 12:39 PM

The SB-1 Defiant looks to be Stealthy, and no doubt the outer skin is carbon composites covered with RADAR Absorbent Materials (RAM).

Just a wild guess.....

In reply to #35

02/18/2017 4:50 PM

You are probably right, I just know about the dry film lubricants applied to the inside of the lower rotor hub. The web has a lot of info on this aircraft.

02/18/2017 6:39 PM

the whole idea of dry film lubricants still seems exotic to me. Just the fact that it holds it in place while remaining slippery goes against my conventional thought process. I'm reminded of the old PTFE infomercial where the guy ran a motor with the oil drained.

I've done a little research on the subject and it still amazes and confuses?

I found this tread that's had very few additions over the years..

I guess it's a dry subject.

Is there a wet lube that's used in conjunction with the dry film for an application like a helicopter rotor? Enquiring minds! WHat's the application process like on a beast like that?

In reply to #38

02/18/2017 8:16 PM

PTFE is just one of the dry film lubricants out there, Molybdenum Disulfide is our most commonly used one, but there is also Graphite based, Boron Nitride, and others. Many are a combination of the above. Most of ours are applied in a durable epoxy base that is chemical and abrasive resistant.

Read this, it may help you understand the basics. Any other questions, I would be happy to answer for you.

Think of this, we apply dry film lubricants to things that go into space, they reduce the coefficient of friction with out being effected by temperature extremes of say -264 to +250 degrees C.

Wet lubricants don't usually have that range. Then again some of our dry film lubricants are sacrificial, until break in with wet lubricants. Then most of ours work in concert with wet lubricants.

They may sound exotic but they are more main stream then you can imagine, you would not believe the amount of automotive fasteners we coat it dry film, thousands of pounds an hour, and my plant is just a tiny spec in this industry.

In reply to #38

02/18/2017 8:36 PM

Funny your link mentions E/M corp several times, that is us. 90% of our coatings are manufactured by us, in Peachtree Georgia..

In reply to #40

02/19/2017 8:21 AM

thanks for the education.

- enjoy some greasy images

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

02/19/2017 4:47 PM

Whatever it is, it looks like it should be on the next spaceship to Pluto.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (1); CaptMoosie (1); Del the cat (2); Floram (1); gnagy (1); IdeaSmith (1); James Stewart (4); JE in Chicago (6); JPool (19); Kilowatt0 (1); Nigh (1); Nothing is Impossible (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (4)

Previous in Forum: Cosmic Rays Are Messing Up Your Cell Phone   Next in Forum: 4-20 mA Surge Protector

Advertisement