Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

4-20 mA Surge Protector

02/17/2017 4:14 PM

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know about a surge protector for 4-20mA signals that can easily be switched from 2-wire to 4-wire and vice versa without rewiring any field wire or internal wiring in a control panel?

Thanks for the help!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235

Re: 4-20 mA Surge Protector

02/17/2017 7:47 PM

I'm confused. How can you have a 4-20mA process loop change from 2-wire to 4-wire without rewiring 'something'? You either have a loop powered device or an externally powered device.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 158
In reply to #1

02/18/2017 12:44 PM

Not to mention the fact, that regardless of whether it is 2-wire or 4-wire instrument, there are really only 2 wires physically connecting the field instrument to the DCS/PLC.

i.e. This should be a non-issue.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

02/18/2017 6:59 PM

You're right. Let me explain a little bit further, I've seen some system integrators use proprietary surge protectors like these. Basically, you have a dedicated power supply for your instrument's signals feeding all your surge protectors and each SP has a jumper o dip-switch that let you use or not the power supply for your 2-wire instruments. You don't have to rewire anything in your panel but rather choose the right position of the sp's jumper. I just want to know if somebody has come across something like that and also that is commercially available. I appreciate your comments!

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701
In reply to #4

02/19/2017 4:45 PM

So, pick up the phone and talk to the <...some system integrators...> that actually use the things. Sheesh!

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #7

02/20/2017 9:18 AM

I have tried. Like I said, it is proprietary and they don't sell them commercially, they use them in their own panels. If you know of a integrator that sell them I would appreciate their contact information so I can call them like you are suggesting. Thank you for your reply.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 456

02/18/2017 5:17 PM

At the panel, connect surge protection devices between supply and 0v, +ve side of loop and 0v and -ve side of loop and 0v. Then it doesn't matter whether you use loop-powered (2 wire) or active (4 wire) sensors, everything will be protected.

Good Answers: 55

02/18/2017 7:09 PM

The people who make and sell this stuff should be able to tell you.

Phoenix Contact has some surge stuff for 4-20mA

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/assets/downloads_ed/local_us/web_dwl_technical_info/2554A.pdf

Another forum thread with commentary:
http://www.control.com/thread/968448839

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

02/19/2017 2:07 PM

I am not aware of any products (they possibly exist, I have never come across an application that has needed them), but you can add individual transient voltage surge suppressor devices that are designed for low voltage data lines, like TVS, Avalanche or possibly Zener diodes.

If voltage surges are a problem with your application (or your spec calls for them) you need fast, low breakdown voltage protective devices to protect the 4-20mA signal equipment. MOVs and gas discharge tubes are likely not going to be low enough voltage or have a fast enough response.

UPDATE: I just had a quick look online and they exist

Link

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #6

02/20/2017 9:26 AM

Thanks for the reply, I have used Dehn in the past and they are good surge protectors but they don't have one with the feature I'm describing, I also checked with Phoenix Contact and they don't have them either. Again, thanks for the help.

Reply to Forum Thread 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); Brave Sir Robin (1); Carl_E (1); jack of all trades (1); JohnDG (1); Kilowatt0 (1); PWSlack (1)

Previous in Forum: What is It?   Next in Forum: Email - Perplexing Experience

Advertisement