CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: 4-20 mA Surge Protector   Next in Forum: Death of Diesel Vehicles
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 3

Email - Perplexing Experience

02/18/2017 2:16 AM

I received a phone call from a ex-colleague asking me whether I have used the common e-mail address (and password) of the firm to send a personal email recently. I have left the firm six month back and never used their e mil since then. Further I had even forgotten user ID and Password and hence could not have sent it my mistake.

MY ex-colleague provided me id and password to check the email myself. What I found was this is only mail in from me in this account since I left the firm six months ago.

How my email is seen in that Account is perplexing. The firm use a Gmail account and my personal e mil account is also with Gmail. The mail surly is authored by me as no one else could have known the matter in the mail ruling out mistake by some one else.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 211

Re: email - perplexing experience

02/18/2017 5:39 AM

It might help to provide some additional details.

Was the email sent/received recently?

To whom was it sent?

Does the content of the message match the date sent?....or are there indications it may have been written much earlier?

Do you recall writingan email like this before you left?

Is there anything controversial/political in the letter?

I suspect this may be an email you wrote more than 6 months ago that was sent but was not delivered until recently.

Good Answers: 980

02/18/2017 8:34 AM

You probably just hit him in your contact list by mistake while sending the email....

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 118
In reply to #2

02/18/2017 8:45 AM

It could also be a spoofed e-mail. Spam senders often originate fake e-mails that will spoof the address of an approved source to get around spam filters. An inspection of the message headers by an expert might be able to analyze this.

Email spoofing

Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 401

Re: Email - Perplexing Experience

02/18/2017 6:51 PM

More than likely someone's email account has been hacked, and the hackers obtained a copy of the owner's entire contact list with your address in it, then used the list in a phishing scheme.

It happens routinely, and when I receive a "strange" email from someone who I haven't had contact with for a long period, I forward it to him using the last known good address that I have, asking if he sent it. 90% of the time they call me to say their system was infected recently.

Do not open suspicious looking emails.

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #4

02/19/2017 2:14 AM

Yes it happens frequently,very few are left unaffected. I recall one of my close friend's Hot Mail account was breached by a spammer who sent a fake email to all contacts from the stolen account requesting for money through Western Union stating that he has lost money and stranded in England.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 677

02/19/2017 4:43 PM

Really? E-mail is low-priority communication and its cost correlates with its value. If it were urgent, the telephone would be used. If it were important, it would be accompanied by a court summons.

It is the ex-colleague's and the ex-firm's problem. Tell them all to go away and share their problem with someone who cares.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 118
In reply to #6

02/19/2017 7:45 PM

The sad problem is this spoof makes it seem as if he had used the old e-mail service to send something to Joe Blow - who contacted him about it.

A compromised account where the contact list was spammed would show the calls originated from the spammed account

Good Answers: 27

02/19/2017 7:30 PM

I have just received a Facebook notification from a dead friend. Spammers will stoop to any level to get money from you. Just recently i have a spate of 'phone calls from an Indian call center. It turns out they are making a legal call ( it is illegal to call and try to sell something ) "advising" me about the Gov't incentive scheme for xxxxxx. Then i get another call from a company trying to sell me something. They are allowed to do this on the basis i asked them to call. The Indian call center sells them contacts that they have initiated in this way.

In Aus. we can register to the DoNotCall.gov.au system and any caller who tries to sell me something via a cold call is personally liable for a $50,000 fine and the company for a $1,000,000 fine. But if the caller is in India they are not going to cop a fine or even a slap on the wrist. Exceptions are; surveys, charities, and sellers you have asked to call.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aurizon (2); JIMRAT (1); krishnan.ng (1); PWSlack (1); RAMConsult (1); SolarEagle (1); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: 4-20 mA Surge Protector   Next in Forum: Death of Diesel Vehicles

Advertisement