CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: What Is It?   Next in Forum: Now That's What I Call a Rocket Stove!! What Say You?
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

What If? Quirky Book

02/21/2017 9:19 AM

This is probably more a Friday kind of post ... I kept getting an ad on my phone for What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions so yesterday I bought a copy. Some of the questions put me in mind of questions I've seen on CR4. Have any of you read this, or do you follow the author's webcomic (xkcd.com)? I wonder how people think up these questions.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1126

Re: What If? Quirky Book

02/21/2017 11:10 AM

I've seen some of his stuff, very random....

Good Answers: 70

02/21/2017 11:10 AM

It's always nice to have a reason to go into the bookstore. Thanks!..

Absurd questions go hand in hand with absurd answers, but what does any of that have to do with CR4?

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 70

02/21/2017 12:32 PM

If you click on the link at the top of the xkcd homepage, you can see his blog "what if" that has most, if not all, the material from the book.

Drew K

02/21/2017 10:41 PM

It's a great book ! Makes you think and laugh at the same time. More importantly, it gives enough scenarios of macabre or humorous imminent death for a person or our species, that I can keep a fifteen year old grand-daughter engaged in conversation for quite a while. A good read by yourself, even better shared with a teenager. The questions from her that followed, then made me think about how I really felt about scientific, logical debate on repercussions.

Register to Reply
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #4

02/22/2017 7:51 AM

Welcome to the conversation! Is this really your first post?

When I was paying for my copy, the bookstore clerk told me she'd given her daughter, a high-school science teacher, a copy for Christmas. The daughter's experience has been the same as yours with your granddaughter. The silly questions get a kid's attention. Then you can demonstrate solid scientific method and logical thinking.

It just hit me that a friend's daughter teaches high school biology and earth science ... she's also got a sense of humor. I'll recommend What If? to her, too.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 45

02/22/2017 10:43 AM

The Good Stuff!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336

02/22/2017 1:16 PM

'What if?' is like the spawn of 'Dilbert' and 'the farside'

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (1); Drew K (1); JE in Chicago (1); phoenix911 (1); rashavarek (1); SolarEagle (1); tekrunr (1)

Previous in Forum: What Is It?   Next in Forum: Now That's What I Call a Rocket Stove!! What Say You?

Advertisement