CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: The Seven Wonders of TRAPPIST-1   Next in Forum: The Story of the Nuclear Powered Bomber
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Participant

Seeking Info for Vertical Reciprocating Conveyor Regulations in US

02/22/2017 4:58 PM

I am trying to find local information to append to a guide I am building that outlines the local codes in all 50 US states related to vertical reciprocating conveyors (VRCs). ASME B20.1 is the primary safety standard that VRCs are manufactured to, but some states do not accept that standard and/or have slight variations. Many localities also have permitting requirements not outlined by state regulations, and I would like to supplement my guide found at www.customindprod.com/state-code-guide to be a complete reference for everyone. Since no one has collected any of this information in one single place, Google is not very helpful for my searches and therefore I'm reaching out to this community for assistance.

VRCs are not freight elevators and are specifically exempted from the ASME A17.1 standards, but some local jurisdictions still confuse these two types of material handling equipment.

If you are aware of any other reference sites or have first hand knowledge of specific local requirements, please post in the comments section or send me a message through this forum to let me know the requirements in your area. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1086

Re: Seeking Info for Vertical Reciprocating Conveyor Regulations in US

02/22/2017 5:18 PM

I would contact manufacturer's or distributor's for this equipment in every state you can find, they would know what the local codes are...and followup with contacting the building department and talking to the division and/or inspector that is responsible in this area...

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744

02/22/2017 11:34 PM

Have you also tried searching "dumbwaiter" and "paternoster" to see if they are mentioned in codes? All such conveyances are likely to have almost as many safety issues as freight and passenger elevators, even if not as stringent.

In reply to #2

02/23/2017 9:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried those and they don't really apply. "Dumbwaiters" are covered under the elevator codes & ASME A17.1. VRCs don't allow people to ride and are covered under ASME B20.1. That's one of the reasons I'm having such difficulty finding out more info. State by State info I can usually find from looking at state building, fire, elevator, and insurance codes (jurisdiction varies by state); but local requirements are proving to be difficult to source and verify. Ideally, I'd like to have a website I can source for local requirements, i.e. NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.

Where I'm finding the biggest problems is that not all permitting requirements are published. For example, some jurisdictions require inspections, load tests, certified installation contractors, etc - but I can't find that info published anywhere, it's just what I'm hearing anecdotally when people go to have one installed. So if anyone else has local requirement info, I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks again!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1); WesMarshCIP (1)

Previous in Forum: The Seven Wonders of TRAPPIST-1   Next in Forum: The Story of the Nuclear Powered Bomber

Advertisement