CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Rotating Equipment Engineer   Next in Forum: A Justified End to Buzz Word Use?
Close
Close
Close
39 comments
Active Contributor
Norway - Member - New Member

Done a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. What Next?

02/23/2017 9:50 AM

I dont know what to do next. I am thinking about master in systems engineering or master in industrial economy, but I am not sure. And its not easy getting a job either, so I will most likely pursue further education.

Anyone who has some advice? What are the opportunities for a mechanical engineer?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 11

Re: Done Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering. What next?

02/23/2017 10:03 AM

Where do you live and/or expect to work or go back to school?

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

02/23/2017 11:06 AM

BestInShow, I live and plan to work in Norway.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #4

02/24/2017 9:38 AM

Why Norway? They have a small crisis on the go since last year. Very little work there at the present time and not cheap to live there either.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #26

02/27/2017 5:16 AM

This is my home, I'm born and raised here. Your right, before I started the study almost 90% of students who finished their bachelor ended up with job before leaving college. Now we are currently in a crisis, and its hard getting a job.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #29

02/27/2017 5:35 AM

Dont worry, the rest of the world is in exactly the same state and mess.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 452

02/23/2017 10:14 AM

I'd advise getting a job if you possibly can.

In reply to #2

02/23/2017 11:08 AM

I know, but I need to do something while applying for jobs.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 348
In reply to #5

02/23/2017 1:41 PM

It shouldn't take that long to get a job and you don't want to be part way through a full or part-time course as it will limit your options in applying for a job.

Don't become a full-time student, it will likely harm your chances as in many countries employers have to pay you based on your qualifications, so if you are overqualified you may not get the job over someone else that isn't but has work experience.

Concentrate full time in getting a job even somewhat related to what you are interested in and get some real world experience. This will both give you an idea of what you like and don't like and know and want to learn. From there you can look at getting a better job in an engineering field or area you like.

Work experience is a very important part in getting the better jobs so like houses and cars generally you have to start out small and work your way up.

Good luck.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #5

02/27/2017 12:18 PM

For what ever it isworth, some of the best work experience I ever got after graduation was the four-and-a-half years of working as a technician, first, in bridging the gap between academia to actual practice...

Good Answers: 1102

02/23/2017 10:55 AM

I would specialize in control systems....

In reply to #3

02/23/2017 11:09 AM

What is that, and why?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1102
In reply to #6

02/23/2017 11:26 AM

"Control engineering or control systems engineering is the engineering discipline that applies control theory to design systems with desired behaviors"....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_engineering

Because control systems are universal... and opens the door to many different applications and disciplines....high paying

In reply to #3

03/01/2017 2:46 AM

I agree. Go for the frat wit the big bucks. It's not so much what you know, it's who you know--ask any wild-ass, gone amuck, West Point cadet in his third year and you'll find out.

What exactly are you looking for? A guaranteed salary? Kudos from your compatriots?

Fame? Fortune?

What are your independent goals? Aspirations? Dreams? Do you have a philosophy or vision?

And, a most poignant question:

What do you think about the current POTUS?

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #34

03/01/2017 3:04 AM

Hey dude. U gonna share that or smoke it yo sef? An stop sniffin my talc powder.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

02/23/2017 11:42 AM

Also, start by asking yourself, what would you chose to work at, if you were financially independent, and could afford to work at anything (i.e.: what would make you happiest...)

In reply to #8

02/23/2017 11:56 AM

I guess my passion would be to develop products. New exciting products or product that would benefit poor people in third world countries. But I do want a stable and good income too.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #9

02/23/2017 1:36 PM

Nearly a billion people worldwide lack access to safe drinking water and the problem is growing worse year by year. Find a way to solve that problem and you will not lack for work.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #9

02/23/2017 3:56 PM

Ahhhhh. In answering the first question, you have a rough framework in which to start to fill in some details...

Now, ask smart questions, and try to answer them objectively, in order to define your operational life-framework to an even further extent...

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #9

02/23/2017 4:23 PM

"I guess my passion would be to develop products."

Product development is not something you usually learn in college. I'd get a job with a company that does product development just to learn that process. Designing products is a small part of product development. You need to learn about marketing, sales, regulations, quality control, business models, etc., as well as engineering/production/manufacturing, of the actual "product".

Guru

Good Answers: 770
In reply to #9

02/23/2017 6:20 PM

Unfortunately in order to design and develop most anything you will need a considerable amount of multidisciplinary cross experience to be measurably and notably good at it. For which the only real way to get that is with shear time invested hands on work experience multiple technical fields.

I for one am one of those people who has developed a wider than typical skill set over a wider than typical range of technical areas and I can assure you it's something you can not learn in a classroom or even 100 classrooms.

Like others said, the only way to get that skillset is to work multiple jobs over a wide range of technical fields, which takes some years of work to do, and to even do that you have to be someone who has a sheer unrelenting passion for learning everything you can about anything that you find relevant to what you want to do in life.

I started out with a good technical trade school education then built on it with more trade plus technical skill experiences eventually adding engineering related aspects to all of that as well.

Even now every single day I spend time learning more about the science engineering and technical aspects of whatever I find interesting or relevant to whatever I am working on or contemplating for the day.

If that's the type of life you want go for it with everything you have but be forewarned, getting that hands on knowledge and experience rarely comes with a good paycheck and or any recognition while you're out doing it.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #20

03/01/2017 5:14 AM

I'd say the relevancy of experience to education is not so much linear as it is tangential. It's a football field out there, huh? Pride vs. humility--which do you choose?

Sacrifice vs. immediate gain. What are you willing to invest in your prioritized goals? What about amortization tables? How long do you want to extend the mortgage on your estate?

[Sorry, dammit.]

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #9

02/24/2017 5:49 AM

In addition to some good suggestions here, keep doing what you are already doing - communicating in a clear, thorough, and respectful manner. It appears that ur nt typkl smrt phn mrn. That's good. People who make hiring decisions notice that. At least for the time being.

jhammond

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #22

02/24/2017 8:06 AM

hahah thanks Jhammond Great tip!

Register to Reply
Guru

Re: Done a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. What Next?

02/23/2017 1:40 PM

It might be a good time to go to work for a while and find out if your education was worth the investment and whether or not any further education will help more.

Too many people assume that they can't find jobs because they don't have the proper education when the reality is that the majority of places hiring are run by people of far less to no formal education who fear that if they do hire someone more qualified than them they will in turn lose their jobs to them and thus people like you don't get hired because you're 'overqualified'.

Two times in my life I have sat in on meetings regarding the hiring of new people only to be sickened by the fact that everyone who had applied that provided a resume that showed they had proven work backgrounds and experience that would have been a great assets to those companies weren't just turned down, their applications plus resume folders were literally tossed the trash for being 'overqualified' with zero intent to ever even let them know they were turned down let alone what for. (potential equal opportunity employment violations if they had.)

To be honest of the last three employers I worked for the only reasons I got hired on with two of them was because of grossly 'dumbed down' resumes. The third, and last one, I just stumbled into by dumb luck of meeting the right person at the right time while picking up an application I had no real intention of turning in. (turned out to be a great company though!)

So given that I say pick 10 places you would like to work for and send them two resumes each. One with your full qualifications and background listed with say your full formal name (Robert Rutherford Smith) and one dumbed down to bare basics with say your common name. (Bob Smith) and see which ones get you called in for interviews.

From my personal experiences I say dumb old 'Bob Smith' is going to get 4:1 more interviews than 'Robert Rutherford Smith' does.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #11

02/23/2017 2:14 PM

I know the overqualified problem all to well. 12 years of experience with pipeline fuels, a year and a half in a powerplant and the last 3 years in manufacturing. My breadth of experience is broad but nobody wants to hire me at the pay I want and deserve and they are afraid to offer me a job at a lower pay because they are afraid I will jump away at the first chance for a better job. :-/

Drew K

In reply to #13

02/23/2017 6:05 PM

Interestingly I met a lot of guys like you out in our oilfields when I was out there.

The given stereotype I most often saw equated to oilfield workers were rough crude low IQ dummies too ignorant to understand how bad their jobs were when the reality I saw was almost the polar opposite.

I can't count how many people I met and got to swapping life stories with that turned out to be well educated experienced and highly knowledgeable people with past skillsets few of us here could match. Yet oddly enough they were just driving trucks, running heavy equipment, doing remedial roughneck work and all around unassuming low to no formal educational requirement trade skills stuff.

The main reasons for it were rather surprising too.

Higher pay and way better benefits for the similar working hours as their educations and past employment offered. Less stress and hassle too.

Better chance for moving up in a company or the industry in general if you want to.

Nobody cares who you are or where you last worked doing what.

And one of my favorites was the typical oil industry work schedule of working 14 - 21 days on then having 7 - 14 days off. A guy can go somewhere and get things done that a normal 5 - 6 day a week 50 - 70+ hour job will never let you do outside of using up all your vacation days at a time once a year.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #19

02/27/2017 9:32 AM

Tempting to give that a try, I foresee a change in my life pending.

Drew K

In reply to #11

02/24/2017 8:10 AM

Thank you for taking time to share your experiences tcmtech, I appreciate it!

Register to Reply
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 11

02/23/2017 4:06 PM

Just a thought, since you're interested in sustainable engineering ... check out an organization called Engineers Without Borders. These groups undertake volunteer projects all around the world. I'm suggesting this so you'll get an idea of some of the low-tech/high payoff technologies the projects use. This article from Engineering 360 this week is a good example from the US.

This is an example of a nonprofit "social good" company that's making a difference in Myanmar. You could research similar companies for jobs, either now or in the future.

A really cool guy at Stanford researches low-tech solutions to big problems.

I'm not an engineer, and I'm no expert on the job market, especially not outside the US. Maybe one of these links give you some ideas on what you want to do next and how to go about it. Good luck.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

02/23/2017 5:00 PM

Real estate?

Good Answers: 69

02/23/2017 5:37 PM

I can recommend figuring out what type of jobs would expose you to the discipline you desire. Take a lower job in manufacturing at a company with product of interest to you and leave that job in a year or two for what you think will make sense and move you forward to being well rounded, competent and compensated.

Shoot for 3/5 jobs over 6/10 years.. it's a good way to move after school ..And paid.

Eventually.. if you're passionate and smart about it. (Time and money) ..Delve into product design / development on you own time.

Good Answers: 25

02/24/2017 12:09 AM

I would advice you to, as fresh engineer you should join local engineering factory and work as trainee engineer and get trained in various depts. You will get familiarized with various types of work. Latter on you may select the dept. as per your choice or on vacancy. Now days Mechanical Engineering is considered as brick and mortar profession.

Good Answers: 22

02/24/2017 6:24 AM

You might get some job inspiration by going to industry trade shows. Just like you can make a post here on cr4 in the different disciplines, there are the shows that cover these areas.

Some shows require you to be actively involved in a particular industry, at other shows you can go as a guest. At most trade shows, there is a wide range of ideas presented within a particular industry.

You can pickup information on different products that might interest you, then at your leisure, you can investigate them further.

A plus side to this approach is that you may just happen to make professional contacts and if you decide that a certain industry would be a good fit, those contacts may help open doors that would be otherwise inaccessible.

Guru

Good Answers: 38

02/24/2017 10:25 AM

Get a job.

Or there's always the military.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #27

03/01/2017 5:24 AM

Or at least adopt a military attitude to the obstacles you confront...

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #37

03/01/2017 6:19 AM

Ah, du mean ra blow it outa da water. Kaboom style. Cool.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 8

02/25/2017 7:16 PM

Check some foreign scholarships in Australia or in Japan. If you can get a part time job as well.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic

02/27/2017 10:34 AM

My thought on this has always been to go ahead & get a job with your BS & let the company pay for your MS, (usually available in large companies.)

Besides, the experience you gain while working will help you better focus towards your MS on what you're really interested in.

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 137

03/02/2017 4:49 PM

Over my long career, I have had the pleasure and the misfortune of working with lots of young just out of school engineers of all type. Some were capable and some were utter morons.

Best advice I can give you is... go find a job as an apprentice millwright in the mechanical maintenance group of one of your local manufacturing concerns.

Doing so, will give you the skills needed to put into play what you learned in getting your degree. At the end of this period (max 4 years), you will be in a much better place on the "in demand" spectrum.

As well, it should really help you in finding a future direction to work towards.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (1); Anonymous Poster (4); BestInShow (2); Drew K (2); Flash_In_The_Pan (1); gutmonarch (1); IQ (2); jack of all trades (1); JE in Chicago (1); jhammond (1); JohnDG (1); Jpfalt (1); lexx7887 (1); mamon (7); MR. Guest (3); North of 60 (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (2); suresh sharma (1); tcmtech (3); Tom_Consulting (1); tonyhemet (1)

Previous in Forum: Rotating Equipment Engineer   Next in Forum: A Justified End to Buzz Word Use?

Advertisement