CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Latching Push-Button Initial State   Next in Forum: SMC-3 Allen Bradly Soft Starter Problem
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Participant

Watt Loss Testing - Surge Arresters

02/24/2017 1:11 PM

Good afternoon

I would like to express my thanks to anyone that is reading this post.

I am writing a testing plan, part of a construction project in a power sub-station, and one of the devices we have to test is a Surge Arrester from Siemens, its technical data is:

Ur: 72 kV

Uc: 57 kV

In: 10 kA

Icc (0,2s): 65 kA

Class 3, 10 kJ/kV, IEEE C62.11

The tests we are planning to execute are: IR (Insulation Resistance), Power Factor and Watt Loss. The last test is the one that is giving me some doubts. I am not sure what voltage level I should use to get the most accuarate information. Usually I would use the same voltage level from the FAT tests but I do not have them this time.

So my question is, what voltage level I should use for the Watt Loss test?

Regards

Javier

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Surge Arrester testing Watt Loss
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416

Re: Watt Loss Testing - Surge Arresters

02/24/2017 2:49 PM

If you don't have the FAT (Factory Acceptance Test) results, then what are you going to use to determine if your test values are over/under/correct? Since you were able to contact CR4 via the web, you should now contact the factory, they are the best source of information on their products.

In reply to #1

02/24/2017 3:47 PM

Thank you for your response.

Indeed I already sent a request to Siemens. But usually when you don't have the FAT tests you can use IEEE, IEC, NEMA for guidance. Not the best course of action but still available.

Regards

Javier

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 766

02/24/2017 11:31 PM

I would do all the testing at the intended line voltage and frequency it will be used at.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21

02/25/2017 6:51 AM

I don't think you did contact Siemens as they are obliged to provide the full test certificate on their products showing all test results, and by retesting it yourselves you will void all guarantee on the SA.

Is this polymeric or porcelain SA's?

And why would you be wanting to test SA's in a sub station build? If they are new units, you do not need to test them. If they are 2nd hand units, that is dodgy workmanship in a new build.

An inspection plan I can understand, but a test plan on new SA's?

IEEE C62.11a specificaly quotes: What makes this amendment so unique is that it is virtually identical to the test procedure published in IEC 60099-4 in 2006.

Now go and buy the original standard and complete the test as er the guideline.

Register to Reply
Participant

02/25/2017 7:45 AM

Siemens should have delivered the FAT test when they shipped the equipment. They did not. I am not the one that buyed this SA, it was buyed by my client (I am working in a service company). I have contacted them but I do not think that they would give me the results. I already asked my client for the results and they said that they do not have them. So what to do?

It is a porcelain SA, forgot to clarify that, sorry.

They are new units that have been in bad storage conditions for at least 2-3 years, I believe testing is required.

You know what FAT testing is right? You should know what SAT testing is then. When you are building a new sub station should test all equipment, in case something got damaged in delivery for example (there are a lot more reason to test them). Not testing them would be a dodgy workmanship, in my opinion.

Thank you for the reference, but I have those standars, and they do not clarify a voltage level for the test.

Regards

Javier

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #5

02/26/2017 5:32 AM

Try getting these standards on line;

lEC 60060-1:1989,High-voltage test techniques – Part 1: General definitions and test requirements IEC 60060-2:1994,High-voltage test techniques – Part 2: Measuring systems lEC 60099-1:1991, Surge arresters – Part 1: Non-linear resistor type gapped surge arresters for a.c. systems lEC 60099-3:1990, Surge arresters – Part 3: Artificial pollution testing of surge arresters IEC 60099-4:1991, Surge arresters – Part 4: Metal-oxide surge arresters without gaps for a.c.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 8

02/25/2017 6:19 PM

Uhhm... any tender specification from client to comply? It must be stipulated there otherwise, the consultant must justify and recommend. I pressumed you must be the consultant and fortunately you are paid for it. You must consult the code or some other superior consultants than you.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 114

02/27/2017 9:15 AM

Do you even understand what the Watt Loss test is for a surge arrester? When you are performing the Doble Insulation Power Factor (or equivalent Dissipation Factor) testing, the watt loss test is one of the values that is measured. For that arrester, based on its voltage class, you should be doing the testing at the maximum standard output voltage of the test set, which is 10kV.

Hire a qualified, independent high voltage testing firm to do the testing for you, so that you get someone who knows what needs to be done and can give you an unbiased result.

02/27/2017 10:55 AM

Indeed it is one of the parameters you check from the Dissipation Factor. And indeed I will be hiring a certified testing firm for the test. I am just doing the testing plan (documents prior to the job), I think I mentioned this in my first post, sorry if I forgot. I do not consider myself an expert on this, not even a knowledgeable person, just trying to find out more information.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

gutmonarch (1); IQ (2); Javier90 (3); PeterT (1); RAMConsult (1); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Latching Push-Button Initial State   Next in Forum: SMC-3 Allen Bradly Soft Starter Problem

Advertisement