CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How to Get Ultra-low Temperature Like -196 C   Next in Forum: Should the Inside of a Diesel Storage Tank Be Painted?
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Purification of Water Using Natural Filters

02/25/2017 10:45 AM

if one had to purify water with high organic content and E.coli, should one do the distillation process first OR pass the water over activated charcoal and other natural materials and then proceed with the distillation process?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336

Re: purification of water using natural filters

02/25/2017 10:57 AM

In my opinion, remove your organics first, otherwise these organic will impede your distillation process by fouling your heating system.

and depending if the organic compounds are in high concentration, may be best to filter it in stages with a mesh filter or rotary drum strainer and then finer screens to the carbon filter.

it interesting how a activated carbon filter works, may be a good idea to review that if you don't.

Guru

Good Answers: 92

Re: purification of water using natural filters

02/25/2017 10:58 AM

I would start with a strainer to get out larger particles. A sieve for the finer material. then filter it and then run it through a distil with only liquid portion because other wise you bake the fines in your distil which you want to keep clean.

Good Answers: 70

Re: Purification of Water Using Natural Filters

02/25/2017 1:01 PM

I would just want the guy in charge to not have to ask such a basic question.

lets assume 1=1

1+1=?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

02/25/2017 2:27 PM

What type of answer would you like?

Traditional or common core?

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #5

02/25/2017 3:26 PM

That's a tough one. My teachers did a pretty poor job of teaching me traditional math and today most teachers are overloaded with adminstrative duty, changing curriculum plus budget issues...to the point where teaching (from your heart)at all is a chore.

In reply to #6

02/25/2017 5:19 PM

I was fortunate to have a few teachers that took the time from their own for me. And I never forgot that... also had teacher that was very forgettable.

Good Answers: 771
In reply to #7

02/25/2017 5:56 PM

My most memorable math teacher (7th grade) was an idiot drunk with anger issues. (literally failed to solve Ohm's law on a toaster power consumption question then blew up in class and broke his toe while kicking a kid, in his desk, over backwards when corrected. )

My most memorable college math professor disappeared from class a day or two after his idiot brother stabbed a student to death being he apparently did not do well himself during the law enforcement questioning him bit.

Both should have never been allowed to work in their profession or with people in general for numerous reasons in my opinion.

Guru

In reply to #8

02/25/2017 6:11 PM

Had a few teachers that had anger management issues...one, he grabbed a girl around the neck and lifted he up. She was also in 7th grade..

he married another teacher at the same school, every now and again, she (his wife) would come to school with a black eye.

Good Answers: 771

02/25/2017 1:58 PM

What's the difference between a 'Natural filter' and an 'Unnatural filter' or some other filter?

Guru

Good Answers: 8

02/25/2017 6:27 PM

Activated filter, O3 ozone, distillation and UV if im not mistaken. Watch some youtube vids to learn the process about water purification. Ive been evaluating water distillation plants in the past but sort of forgetting the process.

Common sense dictates that distallation has to be second to the last to UV. Fouling agents from mineral oxides in raw water has to be minimized first to preserve heat exchange element.

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235

02/25/2017 7:40 PM

I think I would dump it on the ground and then drill a very deep well. How much water are you trying to process?

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

Good Answers: 3

02/26/2017 3:22 AM

Activated carbon is best used for the final step, polishing.

Simple steps:

1. Screen

2. Flocculate and allow to settle - I used to study Ozone as a means to break up difficult to process organics.

3. Filter the water - your filter media will last longer and work effectively.

4. Activated carbon.

5. Disinfect - Chlorine, Ozone (no residual effect, so use quickly), UV (no residual effect)

If you swap carbon and Chlorine you will neutralise the effect of the Chlorine.

Distillation for organics is not a great idea, unless you run proper fractional distillation and only draw of the material with the boiling point of water. If you are trying to get rid of dissolved salts, by all means distill.

Andries

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #12

02/26/2017 10:42 AM

That's why I posted they should read up on it.

Good Answers: 33

02/27/2017 7:08 PM

I suppose it depends on how much time you have.. IF lots, run it through some ponds with lots of Hyacinths, in a settling pond, with proper inflow and outflows. Best filter that Nature has to offer. Being used around the planet for sewage treatment, heavy metal removal, silt filtering etc. Lots of data out there. Again, takes time..

Guru

Good Answers: 34

02/28/2017 7:59 AM

Science Daily Paper

"We're using water to clean water." This is how Selma Mededovic Thagard describes her current work on purifying drinking water.

The chemical & biomolecular engineering professor at Clarkson University is pioneering a new purification process that, if successful, could help millions of people without access to clean water quickly and efficiently purify water to make it safe for drinking and cooking.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is funding this first-of-its-kind water purification research project.

Thagard's method begins by changing water from liquid to vapor. "Then, we go beyond that," she says, "heating the vapor until it becomes plasma. In this state, the molecules become highly reactive. It's like creating lightning in liquids."

This conversion happens in a plasma reactor that generates an electrical field so powerful that within minutes it can purify several gallons of drinking water.

"We're not heating the water that's being purified," Thagard says, "so the plasma reactor requires much less energy than some traditional purification methods. People all over the world -- especially in places with few resources -- could use this process to remove toxins and water-borne parasites from their drinking supply."

See a video about Thagard's work at http://youtu.be/hSMunkigMSo .

Story Source:

Materials provided by Clarkson University. Note: Content may be edited for style and length.

Reply to Forum Thread 15 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

abotha (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); C-Mac (1); gutmonarch (1); IdeaSmith (1); JE in Chicago (2); phoenix911 (5); tcmtech (2); Whitephone (1)

Previous in Forum: How to Get Ultra-low Temperature Like -196 C   Next in Forum: Should the Inside of a Diesel Storage Tank Be Painted?

Advertisement