CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Fridge Powered by Rubberbands   Next in Forum: Where Is The Knowledgable Pump Customer Service…
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 152

Auxillary Electric Motor

02/27/2017 9:59 AM

I see thousands of cars,bumper to bumper,going 5 mph or less on the interstates in rush hour.

Instead of running the IC engines in these times why not a small golf cart sized electric motor?

No need for a 300 mile charge,these would be used only for creeping along during traffic jams.

Batteries could be recharged by the IC engine when normal speed resumes.

Comments?Suggestions?

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 306

Re: Auxillary electric motor

02/27/2017 10:10 AM

batteries are weight and that affects your fuel economy over all in reference to any savings.

From Fuel Economy dot gov

where;

Avoid keeping unnecessary items in your vehicle, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by about 1%.5 The reduction is based on the percentage of extra weight relative to the vehicle's weight and affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones.

Good Answers: 735
In reply to #1

02/27/2017 11:10 AM

Yes. Going by those sorts of numbers and suggestions I should be getting negative fuel mileage numbers most days I drive anywhere yet strangely my best Vs worst fuel numbers are not all that different.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 306
In reply to #3

02/27/2017 11:20 AM

Well, it is a government source that's a few years old. No wonder there was an election revolution last November.

Good Answers: 3

Re: Auxillary Electric Motor

02/27/2017 11:02 AM

I would think that super caps might be a better app for short term than batteries.

That said i am using li-ion poly batteries in one of my PIG apps and the power to weight ratio is unreal.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 70

02/27/2017 11:48 AM

How many of those cars are using their air conditioning? You think many of them will elect to run in golf cart mode with no a/c?

I have suggested before that we could add an electric motor/generator to the drive belt system. In stop and go traffic you spend fuel getting up to speed then blow it off as heat with the brakes. If you used a generator system similar to the dynamic braking of a locomotive you could do much of your braking regenerative.

Adding an extra 20 to 50 hp on acceleration would save considerable fuel. At cruising speed, the extra hp would improve fuel economy until the batteries were depleted. If you wanted to go all the way, incorporate a hydraulic suspension energy recovery system to generate watts for the batteries with bumps and road vibrations.

I have the beginning of an idea for small boats pushing through moderate waves that would generate electricity too.

Drew K

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 62

02/27/2017 12:42 PM

You mean like my Prius does?

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #6

02/28/2017 3:54 PM

Hey Tom,

How does your Prius run the Heat and A/C when the gas engine isn't running?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 995

02/27/2017 12:55 PM
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

02/28/2017 6:40 AM

I was going to say, my FIL has got a Prius that does just this thing.

Hence why they get better city fuel economy than highway.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 20

02/28/2017 4:52 AM

I recall this having been done previously in the late 70's. The down fall was that people like to be seen with a flashy car to preserve their preceived image. Why not simply go to work in a golf cart or similar small vehicle?Big cars very rarely have more than 1 person to transport from home to an office, so commute witha smaller vhcile and engine.Years ago there was a car that when in traffic of towns, the front 4 cylinders could be disconnected and the vehicle drove in towns on 4 cylinders. For open roads and long trips the front 4 cylinders were re-engaged, and one had a V8. Great idea, and just never caught on.But, the hybrid does the same thing, so why reinvent many hybrid cars?Just buy one of these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szN3bLF1oP4 http://uk.brp.com/spyder/Just think, with these on the roads, you can get more vehicles into a traffic jams or create more space between vehicles.Either way, It is all about perceived image for many. Or perhaps, security. (Big car, safe. Little car, injury).

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #8

02/28/2017 6:50 AM

Are you referring to the Cadillac V8-6-4? One of the early attempts at cylinder deactivation. It was a promising idea but, the computer used to control the engine was not up to the task. They never really ran right, causing many warranty issues. I've read that Cadillac actually converted some back to carburetors to satisfy the customers.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #10

02/28/2017 7:32 AM

I don't recall the make I recall seeing this in S Africa in a showroom, when fuel was a rarity and super expensive. It was a break through that broke through the floor, and buried itself.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/time-americans-waste-traffic/story?id=33313765

A bit old but pertinent, this link.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/11/economist-explains-1

Guru

In reply to #10

02/28/2017 7:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UNAeKbRP0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISEGDWpKAeY

Totally non polluting Ferrari, handy in any traffic jam.

Power-User

Good Answers: 8

02/28/2017 8:07 AM

Instead of batteries to move in stop and go traffic, my new pick-up shuts itself off at stops to save gas. Very annoying. It has to be overridden after every startup if you don't want it to do that. I can't permanently shut it off.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #13

02/28/2017 8:11 AM

What make is your truck? That way I can avoid buying one in the future.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

02/28/2017 9:52 AM

Ha, One saves fuel and reduces pollution and then needs to save for a replacement battery more often. They only have so many start operations.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #15

02/28/2017 11:44 AM

Yup, you halve the life span of your battery (at around 100 bucks, for a cheap one). So you can save $4 or $5 a month in fuel.

BRILLIANT!

Not to mention the cost of a new starter motor, every couple of years. Because you have more than quintupled the number of starting operations.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

02/28/2017 12:46 PM

Welcome to the motorists con. If only more people thought before being conned with the bling of things.

I only discovered now the Renault Twizy is actually the Nissan Scoot, re-badged.

"No way will I buy French rubbish. I will only buy Japanese". HMMM! Renault, Nissan, Hmmm! Hinda, Suzuki! Porsche, Renault engines! Do we really get conned an believe in car makers?

Twizy/Scoot, 'The Nissan New Mobility Concept is currently not available for customers to purchase in America as the vehicle is yet to be categorised into a particular segment'.

I guess some governments don't want you to save fuel or reduce pollution?

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/nissans-scoot-quad-is-a-re-badged-twizy-1260258

It is all a con. Be warned. But this, best car in the world:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1vyx3k_the-fart-car_fun

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #16

02/28/2017 3:39 PM

I would hope that they designed the battery and starter motor to cope with the loads. The problem I would have with that is if the a/c or heat stopped working, too. My method is adding an electric motor to the drive belt system and a clutch that disengages the crank shaft pulley so that the electric motor could drive the a/c when the engine was off at a traffic light.

I would like to program my truck to shut off fuel to the engine when decelerating; I know it is not much but, over a lifetime, it adds up.

Drew K

In reply to #18

02/28/2017 3:46 PM

Well, the starter they very may well have. I have yet to see a "Ford-model xxxx with idle shutdown" battery at my local AutoZone. Just your plain old bread and butter lead-acid starting batteries. If I ever did see something like that, I would almost be afraid to see the price tag

A deceleration fuel shutoff? There's an interesting idea.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

03/01/2017 3:03 PM

"A deceleration fuel shutoff? There's an interesting idea."

That's been standard function on any modern vehicle with EFI in the last 40 years.

Theres a reason that even if you drop your vehicle down a gear and coast against the engine at higher than normal RPM's in a hard dynamic braking maneuver it won't pop and backfire out the exhaust like the old carbureted engines would because they were still sucking fuel through the idle circuit.

The EFI system has the fuel injectors fully shut off until fuel is actually called for.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

In reply to #18

02/28/2017 3:51 PM

As to the accessory drive, I wonder how the Prius and other hybrids do it.

My FIL has a Prius, I'll ask him the next time I see him.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

03/01/2017 3:12 PM

Also ask him what his annual cost for insurance plus purchase cost and other costs of owner ship factor out to per year over those associated with a older used vehicle in the same driving conditions that ran on basic liability insurance and no loan payments?

Odds are he's paying at least several hundred to a thousand or more a year more in order to save a few to several tens of dollars worth of fuel a year.

I have yet to meet a honest prius owner who wasn't taking it the financial (and driving comfort) ass for owning one. (Someone in my family has one, that's how I know.)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

02/28/2017 4:01 PM

If your foot is off the accelerator when decelerating there is no great fuel flow. Only the idle jet is allowing fuel to flow and that is nothing. Fuel only flows when the go fast pedal is pushed.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 24 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Drew K (2); harley (1); IanR (7); IQ (6); phoenix911 (2); ronc (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (3); Tom_Consulting (1)

Previous in Forum: Fridge Powered by Rubberbands   Next in Forum: Where Is The Knowledgable Pump Customer Service…

Advertisement