CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: 3 Phase Contactor Question   Next in Forum: Transformer Saturation Curve
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Smoke Detector Above Suspended Ceiling

02/28/2017 6:55 AM

Hi, can anyone please tell me what is the required false ceiling depth above which a smoke detector above false ceiling needs to be placed? I am confident the information is in NFPA 72 but I can't locate the relevant paragraph.

Thank you a lot.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 695

Re: Smoke Detector Above Suspended Ceiling

02/28/2017 8:56 AM

This doesn't make much sense. A smoke detector would be much more effective were it to be placed below the false ceiling, and not above it.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 758

02/28/2017 9:00 AM

Is this space above the drop ceiling being used as a plenum?

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #2

02/28/2017 9:10 AM

Mainly yes. There is no duct for return air in it.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 758
In reply to #3

02/28/2017 9:51 AM

Then smoke and particulates will concentrate in this space and thus can easily produce more false, nuisance alarms. When a real fire incident happens this can also produce a false indication of the origin. I suspect the reason you cannot find a definitive answer on detectors in this space is that the NFPA does not wish to codify if this is a good idea or a bad idea. I don't have easy access to NFPA 72 codes so I cannot cite any content.

Good Answers: 64
In reply to #3

02/28/2017 9:57 AM

It's either a plenum or not. Look at smoke detectors designed to sample the air inside ductwork. they have a remote indicator that mounts below the drop ceiling.

Good Answers: 1058

02/28/2017 11:40 AM

..."NFPA 90A is specific to Air Conditioning and Heating Systems installation. The purpose of the NFPA 90A is to prevent the spread of smoke and fire through duct work and ventilation systems for air conditioning and heating systems with high capacities. Always ensure you check the latest codes for current information. Additionally, some municipalities have more stringent codes in place. Therefore, it is wise to check local code requirements in addition to current national codes.

Get your copy here: NFPA 90a: Standard for the Installation of Air-Conditioning and Ventilating Systems"...

https://highperformancehvac.com/duct-smoke-detectors-nfpa-90a-code-requirements/

Good Answers: 115

02/28/2017 10:59 PM

There is no requirement for a smoke detector above a "dropped" ceiling.

If the building is frame (wood) built, there must be sprinkler protection above the ceiling.

Otherwise, there is nothing required.

Why are you involved in this project?

Good Answers: 21

03/01/2017 3:16 AM

Joking right? Are you still trying to do this after a year. Lucky the place has not burned down. Or is this the best question your teacher asks of his new class each year and the easy route is to ask this yearly question here?

Guru

Good Answers: 10

03/05/2017 12:08 AM

In generally, smoke detector are to be install under the ceiling but where some room you need to install false ceiling the degree of protection is limited between the false ceiling and the actual design build ceiling. Smoke can be generated above the false ceiling since most of the cable are running above the false ceiling.

Therefore, smoke and heat detector must be install above the false ceiling. If the height of the false ceiling and the actual building ceiling is less than 3.5 meter, then the smoke and heat detector should be install as NAPF 72 regulation. But if the height is higher you will need to add extra smoke and heat detector to it so that it can able to cover the entire area of the actual ceiling height.

This will need your experience and judgment for the installation of the smoke and heat detector above the false ceiling. It just happen to me as I have a control room with the actual building ceiling of 7.5 meter height and the false ceiling is 3.5 meter height. Therefore leaving me to have an extra 4 meter height between my false ceiling and the actual building ceiling height. Instead to install 2 smoke detector and 2 heat detector, I need to install 4 smoke and 4 heat detector to it so that the total area of the ceiling is fully covered.

Management is just like a bunch of Monkey sitting on a tall tree. Some climb to the highest branch and some at the lowest branch. The highest Monkey look down and see a lot of happy faces but the lower Monkey looks up and see nothing but all the....
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #9

03/06/2017 3:31 PM

Please refer me to the code which states those requirements.

An increase in room height will call for an increase in the density of heat detectors, but not smoke detectors (but this is NFPA code).

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #10

03/06/2017 8:35 PM

The requirement is depend upon the country to country. In my country it is the requirement of the fire and services department to install these smoke and heat detector above the false ceiling otherwise they don't approval the building plan.

Management is just like a bunch of Monkey sitting on a tall tree. Some climb to the highest branch and some at the lowest branch. The highest Monkey look down and see a lot of happy faces but the lower Monkey looks up and see nothing but all the....
Reply to Forum Thread 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); IQ (1); JE in Chicago (1); PWSlack (1); redfred (2); Simon Wan (2); SolarEagle (1); WJMFIRE (2)

Previous in Forum: 3 Phase Contactor Question   Next in Forum: Transformer Saturation Curve

Advertisement