CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: What Is It? Where Is It?   Next in Forum: Circuitry for Peltier Condenser
Close
Close
Close
82 comments
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174

We Should Look After One Another - Some of Us Are in Advanced Years!

03/03/2017 12:27 AM

This place seems calmer. Where's lyn?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 748

Re: We should look after one another - some of us are in advanced years!

03/03/2017 12:44 AM

Maybe some posters are already being looked after as a consequence of overwrought political postings? There have been overt expressions of hatred from several directions.

Good Answers: 1103

03/03/2017 2:27 AM

I think he went out on political overload....he'll reset...

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #2

03/03/2017 7:54 AM

Recharging his venom sacs is what I heard?

He was close to 40K posts.. and most many weren't even filled with angst.

It's quite possible there was a family intervention.

Good Answers: 770
In reply to #3

03/03/2017 1:56 PM

I see a noticeable reduction in OT marks (at least against me and a few others anyway) has occurred in the the same time frame he had been gone as well.

What are the odds?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #5

03/03/2017 4:21 PM

I noticed this forum is a lot more peaceful lately. Also, new members aren't being run off like before.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #7

03/03/2017 5:28 PM

Come on now, I like Lyn. You know him and I don't agree on some things, but I for one miss him.

In reply to #8

03/03/2017 5:38 PM

Where in my comment did I say anything about Lyn? Anything at all?

I'm not casting aspersions at all, against Lyn or anyone else. I am strictly making an observation: The forum has been more peaceful lately and new members are not being run off.

Don't take my word for it, you can see it for yourself. Any vitriol lately? Political rants? New members being told in so many ways that they're ignorant and their questions are stupid? Seen much of that lately? I haven't and I haven't seen it for several weeks now.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #9

03/03/2017 5:59 PM

I made the assumption that you thought things were more peaceful because he has not been around. If my assumption is wrong, then I sincerely apologize. I miss him because think he would be a lot of fun with this Tommey Reed thread that I can't seem to let go of.

In reply to #10

03/03/2017 6:28 PM

I am noticing a correlation between his absence the relative - and noticeable - peacefulness on this forum of late. Is it due to Lyn's absence? I don't know, but there seems to be a correlation. AFAIK, it could be complete coincidence, a lull in the storm, and that is all. I'm not saying either way because I don't know, but it is more peaceful here of late.

Don't get me wrong; I like Lyn. I also think he can be a stubborn, opinionated, pig-headed arse at times, but underneath his bluster he's actually a very likeable fellow. In fact, I don't think there is anybody on this forum that I actually dislike, except possibly for a few trolls; specifically the one on that thread you mentioned, and a few others who don't post very often. There are some here who can be very annoying at times (including myself) and some who light the place up when they enter the room. I've read a lot of old posts, too, dating back years. This forum seems to have lost a lot of good people. One guy in particular seems to stand out who, without a word, just suddenly disappeared. A guy named Sparkstation. A lot of people miss him apparently. I wonder what happened to him. Seems like an exceptional bloke.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

03/03/2017 7:01 PM

" I've read a lot of old posts, too, dating back years. This forum seems to have lost a lot of good people. One guy in particular seems to stand out who, without a word, just suddenly disappeared. A guy named Sparkstation. A lot of people miss him apparently. I wonder what happened to him. Seems like an exceptional bloke."

Interesting you say that. In the past when I have joined forums I too did similar back reading (still occasionally do now) to see what's what and how much bias towards good or bad there is in a forum.

Same as you I came across long gone members in every one of them that were what I saw as good decent people with tons of knowledge they just wanted to share with the world.

Sad part is most of them just got burned out or ran off by the long drawn out daily fight against stupidity in every form it can find a way to fit itself into.

I know some left willingly just because things weren't fun any more (I can totally relate to that feeling as of lately) or they were just attacked with no end for continually showing themselves to be better more knowledgeable people in some subjects than others ( I can relate to that too) or they got flat out run off for going after stupid people (outright forum trolls) guns a blazing day after day trying to keep their names and the forums clear of outright idiots (been there done that as well).

I have yet to ever do any digging into any decent well established forum and not find at least one or multiple examples of such events and many times just when digging for information on some random thread suggested by some internet search I see the same stuff played out to no end.

How many times have you went digging for an answer to some question you had and stumbled into some unknown forum thread where some well experienced and knowledgeable guy posted a good honest rational technically well thought out answer to someone's problem only to see the thread spin out of control for pages afterward of that guy and his knowledge being torn to bits by half wits and blustering idiots who will stop at nothing to discredit his knowledge because it made them and their lame answers look stupid?

I've done it too many times to count now. Hell, I even come across some of my own posts from time to time only to find some old thread sprouted a troll infestation of haters trying to discredit what information I gave or something I said months or even years after I made my last post in it.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

03/03/2017 7:27 PM

"How many times have you went digging for an answer to some question you had and stumbled into some unknown forum thread where some well experienced and knowledgeable guy posted a good honest rational technically well thought out answer to someone's problem only to see the thread spin out of control for pages afterward of that guy and his knowledge being torn to bits by half wits and blustering idiots who will stop at nothing to discredit his knowledge because it made them and their lame answers look stupid?"

Here? Only rarely, but quite often on the major social-media platforms. CERN in fact stopped posting on G+ altogether: "With the New Year, everyone is making new resolutions. Ours is to make sure we give everyone the best content in the best places. Over 2016, the number of followers and the level of engagement on CERN’s Google+ page has declined. In 2017, we will no longer post on Google+ and will focus on our other social media channels."

They had plenty of 'engagement' - their threads were riddled with science-hating trolls and religious nutjobs claiming the Large Hadron Collider was opening portals to Hell and endless rubbish of that sort. I don't blame them for shutting down, but I think they should have simply disabled comments on their posts. They also could have moderated their community, but maybe they couldn't spare the personnel.

NASA is in a similar boat: Sometimes fully 4/5ths of the comments on their threads are by trolls - flat-earthers, lately. They don't moderate either, to everyone's loss.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

03/03/2017 9:37 PM

Here on CR4 tends to be above average but in the majority of other forums the trolls and flat earthers have free run of the places and do their damnedest to discredit any legitimate facts that go counter to their idiocy.

For a long time they er little more than just persistent background noise in the forums but since the last election cycle went the way it did more and more have stepped up their game to full on in our face trolls to anyone they perceive to be non liberal and intelligent.

Lyn X10 plus running multiple puppet accounts so that they damn sure look to be the winning majority, by agreed opinion and self voted likes, in any idiotic debate they can stir up.

If that's what the CERN and NASA forums have degraded into I can totally see why they would shut them down. An intelligent person looking for answers is only willing to read through and deal with so much stupidity and hate mongering drivel before they move on.

Rather like reading and watching the mainstream news and trying to find out the factual truth behind a big story. How much made up in your face propaganda BS and blatantly obvious lies are you willing to dig through before you give up and just don't care about what the reality is behind something?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

03/03/2017 10:03 PM

Many of the trolls I've seen on those communities aren't even Americans. What they all have in common is their stupidity, not their politics.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #20

03/06/2017 2:25 AM

Well Sir, I am Indian I learn many things from this forum. If any of you have any objection, I will simply quit.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #46

03/06/2017 2:44 AM

I don't think it was Westman's intention to imply anything like that.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #46

03/06/2017 5:02 AM

Why have you suddenly jumped in, with a first post of that?

It makes no sense to me at all.....

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174
In reply to #46

03/06/2017 12:28 PM

But you are not a troll! You are welcome here!

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
Good Answers: 5
In reply to #46

03/07/2017 10:58 AM

IMHO you are the exception rather than the rule.

In reply to #46

03/07/2017 11:03 AM

suresh_sharma, tcmtech mentioned 'liberals', implying those trolls are Americans. What I am saying is that many of the trolls are not Americans and so the 'liberal' moniker does not apply. What all the trolls, Americans and otherwise, have in common is their stupidity, not their politics.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #46

03/07/2017 5:16 PM

You Sir, have been a contributing member to this forum, It doesn't matter to me where you are from. I have enjoyed and learned from your replies over the last few years. Thanks for contributing.

In reply to #13

03/03/2017 7:44 PM

Speaking of trolls, you told gutmonarch that you actually think he is likable. Maybe it's the ausie in you, but l try to like everybody, he is not one I can like. You have not been here long, you have not been privy to all of his reincarnations. He has been kicked out repeatedly and comes back in a new form without new ideas.

In the short time you have been here, I have come to respect you, I really have. I understand why you are here in the states because of your daughter, my hat is off to you for that. I also know you wish to be back in Australia. I get it, it's home. Your fiancé is there.

To be honest with you, I don't know where I was going with this, I just got off this most boring 16 hour shift you can Imagine, I spent 12 of those 16 hours on CR4. This is the first weekend I have had off since Christmas. 7 days a week since January 3rd. We went from one shift to 2.5. I am the project manager/ maintenance manager of my shop, the last 4 weeks, they gave me 6 potential candidates for maintenance technician's none who stay more then 3 days because they don't want to work.

OK, never mind, I have been up since 2am E.S.T. this morning, I took yesterday off for my birthday, and have know clue what to do with 2 days off.

In reply to #16

03/03/2017 9:01 PM

A belated happy birthday, mate!

Years ago we were trying to get ready for a trade show and I worked three months, 90 hours a week. Worked, ate at my desk and sometimes slept at it or on a gurney they had down the hall in the nurse's office. Exhausting. Then, suddenly, we were done and ready for the show. After that I took a couple of weeks off and didn't know what to do with myself. Mostly I slept. I don't mind working hard but I was a bluddy machine for three month's straight and then, suddenly, it was like falling off a cliff.

Gutmonarch? He doesn't bother me. There's no malice in what he does.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

03/03/2017 9:48 PM

My last job was in the oil fields on a frac crew and we ran 14 hour days for 14 - 15 days at a time followed by a 6 - 7 day off period. The first day off and then some all a guy did was sleep.

Once a person got used to it it wasn't so bad. I loved the having 5 - 6 days off in a row after my first day home hard crash day was done. A guy can get something done at home with that amount of time off at once.

The worst work schedules for me are the 60 - 70+ hour 6 day a week ones. You don't get crap done on the one day off other than sleep and prepare to start over. There's no real feeling of a reset doing that.

Even if it's 60 hours in a 5 day stretch with two days off in a row a guy still doesn't get a proper reset let alone anything of any considerable gain done while they are home.

40 - 50 hours on a 5 day work week or 14 hours a day for two weeks with a full week off. One or the other. Anything else in between just eats away at a person's life force and soul.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

03/04/2017 7:21 AM

Thank you for the birthday wish.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #16

03/06/2017 11:31 AM

Since, you hate your job. Have it occurred to you, that may be you should hire gutmonarch in replacement of you?

I was born to hate dragons, wolves, scorpions, spiders and the scarlet beast. But, you as a person I for one would love as I am commanded to and what I think will benefit man kind.

I knew what you are into and I will bless you.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #52

03/06/2017 11:56 AM

Who said I hate my job? I'm just working a lot of O.T. to set up a new process and to babysit it. And I was really tired on Friday.

Not sure what that is about, but ok, Bless you too.

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #16

03/06/2017 11:34 AM

Thanks for your comments. It is not only for my daughter, my elder and younger brothers who have already retired as engineers I am here in the forum, they have settled in U.S. Any how I will continue to be in the forum and learn and contribute as much I can. Mr.Pool if you desire any help from me on Hoists and Cranes please take all liberty to contact me as I have spent 33 years in India in this field.

In reply to #53

03/06/2017 12:10 PM

Suresh, I appreciate the offer but I'm good with the hoists and cranes. We only a couple of electric chain hoists and 1 automated Eurodrive unit for our barrel phosphate line.

Thanks anyways.

But if something does come up and I need help, I'll give you a shout.

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #13

03/06/2017 10:55 AM

This forum seems to have lost a lot of good people.

I really miss Anonymous Hero. Never heard what happened to him.

Edit: Posted this before I read all the way down. I should/could have echoed JPool's sentiments in comment #11.

BTW: How can I delete a post when it is the edit period? I would have replied to JPool.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #51

03/06/2017 11:43 AM

Just erase your words and put something short, like "Double Post", or "I agree with post #11", whatever....

In reply to #9

03/03/2017 6:17 PM

Well, the change in forum atmosphere change and overall timing does seem to show a pretty plausible link though.

He's not here winding everyone else up any more with stupid rants regarding so many of his ignorant beliefs so in return some of us aren't taking our frustrations out on the new kids and or other slower members of the herd.

I for one am shallow and petty enough to admit it works for me!

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #9

03/09/2017 1:52 PM

I failed to check in with the break room, maybe he is lurking about in there?

In reply to #73

03/09/2017 4:15 PM

He is not there, I looked. This place is just not the same without him.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 330
In reply to #74

03/09/2017 7:50 PM

Gotta look at the up side... the political pollution has been reduced.

In reply to #75

03/09/2017 7:57 PM

Yes, but I was enjoying it. You know I figured how to debate politics with him without it getting too ugly.

In reply to #76

03/10/2017 11:06 AM

I've had friends who are a hoot who also happened to be a pita. After a while you can only hope they come to their senses and dry up.

Lyn is a good guy no doubt, but he has some serious energy issues he's dealing with. The community hasn't really suffered in his absence.

It's kind of nice seeing new members welcomed and not shouted down.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #8

03/09/2017 1:51 PM

Same here. This thread is about Lyn, after all, isn't it? LOL

Lyn does not seem to care whether people talk about him behind his back or to his face, same response either way. I just pray he is well, and on a fishing trip.

Re: We Should Look After One Another - Some of Us Are in Advanced Years!

03/03/2017 1:49 PM

I have an alibi.

It might not be a good one but I'm using it just the same.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

03/03/2017 3:22 PM

Advanced years heck! I'm just freekin' old! (and so's Lyn )

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
In reply to #6

03/04/2017 4:10 PM

After i bought a new motorcycle and drove it to work my boss said i was going thru a mid life crises , i said Dan, people do not live to be 130 years old.

In reply to #36

03/04/2017 4:45 PM

Especially if they ride motorcycles when they are 120 years old....

03/03/2017 6:08 PM

And why we are the subject of where is Lyn, does anybody know what happened to Anonymous Hero? It's been almost a year since he posted.

Good Answers: 22

03/03/2017 10:31 PM

More than likely, Lyn is a snow bird. Spending winters in Arizona where it's warm, then going up to his barn when it's hot down here.

Here in Hemet, now, there are thousands of snow birds running around. In a couple of months they will be gone and headed back to the northern states.

Maybe TCM tech will become a snow bird soon.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #21

03/04/2017 9:51 AM

So what your saying, there's no internet when you migrate...

In reply to #21

03/04/2017 11:52 AM

I have no plans to go anywhere and even if I do wherever I go will still have internet service.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 28

03/03/2017 11:09 PM

We have a site called nextdoor.com in our community. My observation is that a small number of individuals who have too much free time on their hands wound up taking over the site. They chastised people who didn't have the same belief, bullied the new people and made the site into an adult version of a high school clique. If anyone stood up and posted facts, they were blasted by the whole group.

What ended up happening is that most people left. A handful still post and they kiss up to the bullies. What was suppose to be a great place to share community information turned into this groups personal bashing site.

What I see here is similar, but the nastiness is better controlled and the moderator isn't part of the problem. Also, most of the people here are more civilized and they are more intelligent and open to hearing others options, even if they don't agree.

I hope this site continues to be a place where I can discuss things with other people. .A site where i can come for advice and recommendations. Most importantly,a place to get away from the daily grind, where I can interact with other intelligent people. I'm pretty sure we all know that engineers and science minded people see the world differently. Whether we've been involved in entrepreneur endeavors, own our own business, are in sales, are in political positions, are in upper management or sit on a board of directors, we will always have a different way off looking at things.

This site gives us a place where we understand each other. Let's work hard to keep this place a pleasant one.

Thank you.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 7)
Guru

In reply to #22

03/04/2017 12:13 PM

"We have a site called nextdoor.com in our community. My observation is that a small number of individuals who have too much free time on their hands wound up taking over the site. They chastised people who didn't have the same belief, bullied the new people and made the site into an adult version of a high school clique. If anyone stood up and posted facts, they were blasted by the whole group.

What ended up happening is that most people left. A handful still post and they kiss up to the bullies. What was suppose to be a great place to share community information turned into this groups personal bashing site."

Sounds like the two farming forums I got tossed out of. A few idiots with an agenda and weak site management can ruin an otherwise good forum full of decent people pretty fast.

Too often they would say something so outrageously stupid and easily proven wrong it was sad to the point that someone posting the cold harsh reality that showed they were wrong couldn't be avoided.

The part I don't get is why so many forums site management will run off the people who are outgoing and intelligent that want to help and educate others on what is correct and true rather than kick out the trolls that keep bringing everything on the sites down.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #34

03/04/2017 1:27 PM

The part I don't get is why so many forums site management will run off the people who are outgoing and intelligent that want to help and educate others on what is correct and true rather than kick out the trolls that keep bringing everything on the sites down.

The reasons are quite simple, firstly the Admin sees only "Click" Dollars and they are themselves a bit "simple"!!

Good rules, well kept, can keep a site "clean"....

In reply to #34

03/05/2017 12:03 AM

On our Nextdoor site, the admin tried to do the "right" thing at first, but the small group attacked him. He isn't strong enough to battle the group and since they're the most vocal, he now sides with them.

It's just like being in high school. The small group of the "in crowd" dictate who is in and who is out; what's cool and what's not. For our Nextdoor site, the "in crowd" doesn't hold any power nor have any control over our local government or boards. They are not admired by anyone with influence, in fact they are looked at as rebels and outcasts. What they do have is a lot of free time, where they can attack often (90% of the total posts on the site come from the small group) and they get nasty. They insult others when their posts don't align with the group or individuals in the group. They don't care about facts, all they care about is being right and they often deceive others by creating so call "facts" out of thin air. Facts no longer matter, the "normal" people leave and the small group feels even more empowered! I once heard someone say that if a lie is told over and over again, people will believe it as fact.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #38

03/05/2017 12:21 AM

I wanted to add one more thing. A couple of people in this small group tried to run for one of our local committees. Even though on the Nextdoor site, they both looked like they were someone, however both of them lost - big time.

I have to admit that I was surprised they lost. What I didn't realize is that a huge number of people stopped going to the site, because they don't want to hear the bickering, negativity and nastiness - we get enough of that in the real world.

I'll also admit that I'm pleased that the voters have enough sense to see that the two candidates are just bullies and would've made a mess of the committee.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #38

03/05/2017 5:34 AM

In my lowly, very amateur opinion (its a hobby, I never studied Psychology), they are mainly people who are generally called Sociopaths.....

There are many different levels of intelligence for such people, but they are often quite low, under 100.

The common name is Trolls.

There are an amazing amount of excellent websites, that can describe such people far, far better than I can. Here are a few examples:-

Internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists

Types-of-internet-trolls

But there are many more.

Just imagine what awful "real" lives these lonely, immature people must have, if they can only live it "up" online!!

In a way, I sympathise with them a little because they are obviously very lonely in reality!

We even occasionally get them here on CR4.....But its not difficult to "out" them I find....at least for my own benefit!

Only a strong and intelligent Admin can keep them under control, putting in fixed rules (as I mentioned here in a previous post) that keep "Troll" type people on the straight and narrow.

If Admin cannot do that, it's simply best to leave.....as its no fun for normally balanced people.

But never forget, the more posts/arguments there are on a forum, the more "click" Dollars are made by many of them.....it all comes down to money in the end.....sadly!

I hope I have posted clearly for all concerned. Have a great Sunday!!

03/03/2017 11:46 PM

One might also notice that James Stewart has been rather quiet for about the same time.

In reply to #23

03/04/2017 12:08 AM

Yes he has. Last I remember, he got into a pretty heated discussion with someone and he said he was taking a break. Sad to see, because he's a pretty smart guy. Then again, after the frustration of bickering on this site, maybe he is smart to take a break.

Guru

In reply to #24

03/04/2017 9:52 AM

Sometimes when you get in too deep and serious you're better off to step back for a bit.

Guru

03/04/2017 1:50 AM

Interesting comments here, thanks from me to all who posted, but I do not see a need to add to them about Lynn, as all has been covered.

My best guesses are that he is either on holiday, or in hospital, and will come back, fit as a flea, to pick up where he left off.

I also miss Sparkstation as well, but he has been long gone, sadly.....

I am on several of other forums around the world, and last year, on one where there were some rather obvious "Sociopaths" posting, Admin did a really great, but really quite a small thing, that reduced the posts of the trolls as good as to zero!

I went along with it....

I was very sceptical, but I am also very pleased with the obvious results after around 9 months of usage!!! Trolls are simply kept away and rarely seen now....actually, never.

I am sure that many here will not believe me as to how effective the change was, but I now know that it works and keeps us all on good/reasonable behaviour, with no further "work" for admin to do!!

BUT PLEASE, DO NOT TRY AND FLAME ME IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, JUST GET ADMIN TO SET IT UP!!!!!

"Learning by doing" as we say here....

All Admin did on this other Forum, after being involved many, many times in "rude flaming arguments", was really quite simple (I hope that I can explain it properly and clearly):-

He made up a "table", with all members in it, it which gives each member 3 options about any other member:-

1) you can "nominate" that other member as a "Buddy", he/she knows then that you appreciate him or her, and their opinions/posts.

2) You can nominate to "Ignore" him/her, which basically means one thing, he or she cannot post in any way shape or form on any blog that you have "started". They are totally prevented from doing that. Also, they cannot PM to you anymore. You have basically "turned the cold shoulder". If they want to apologise to you to get it changed, they would need another member to intervene on their behalf. It has never happened to me personally. They don't want me and vice versa....

3) Or you can leave it just as it was before, where anyone can post what they want to on your blog. That is how almost all the 30,000 odd members are with me personally, I made no changes to their status whatsoever.

On that other Forum, there is no Anonymous posting I might add, never was, and now really even less need.....main difference to here on CR4. We should have that too here.

Also, no non members posting, again something that CR4 should be making changes to....you are who you are, so to say!! You simply have to be a member to post.

It has turned out on that other forum, that the really bad "trouble-makers" were just a tiny, tiny few, of the more than 30,000 members, I don't know exactly how many myself, but estimate probably less than 30 people in total for the whole .......I have just 22 is all I have nominated to be ignored on my blogs!

It took me a week or so to get it right....but no new additions or changes needed since at least 6 months.....

What has also fascinated me personally is that I have not wanted to post on a blog and been prevented! NOT ONCE! EERRY!!

So it would appear that the "Trouble-makers", who I assume have "blocked me back" (though absolutely no proof of that either way!), have apparently never started a blog that has any interest for me personally!!!

As many, many members, but certainly not all, have taken advantage apparently of this new aspect, it seems that the "real" troublemakers have been banned by so many, the numbers of blogs on which they can actually join in on are shrinking daily!!!

But they can read all, if they so wish.....no restrictions on reading anything other than PMs NOT addressed to them of course.

All that vitriol, stupidity and hatred was concentrated in what I personally believe were SO very few people!!

Most of the "normal" members that I know, apparently have a similar (I cannot say if they are blocking the same ones as I have or not) number, or less people they have blocked, eg. nominated "to be ignored".

I also know that you can "reverse" any decisions any time you wish!! Though I have never done that myself......those I have blocked, remain so.....

The whole Forum has been RADICALLY changed by this simple new rule, no awful rudeness etc., heated discussions yes, outright rudeness no!!

The Trolls have been "Check Mated!"

I hope that I have managed to explain it adequately for those interested, and I have to admit to be as "dumbfounded" as anyone else, that it has proved so effective...

In reply to #25

03/04/2017 2:28 AM

Amazing, I have never ever had a GA in such a short time after posting. Many thanks to those concerned!!

In reply to #25

03/04/2017 7:59 AM

Now it that system could be added to every forum and social website world wide it would be something!

Personally I would love to see the AP function killed here.

It serves zero gainful purpose and it should be painfully obvious to anyone who has any rational mind why which since it stays, despite the continual and widespread complaints and abuse regarding it, it leaves me with no other rational explanation but that the Site admin and moderators are all a bunch of cowardly trolls themselve who have to keep it so they can act out against members without having to take responsibility for their actions.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #28

03/05/2017 1:41 AM

I haven't exactly made it a hard and fast rule, but generally, I try to avoid responding to Anonymous posts. I'll try harder...

One more GA for Andy!

In reply to #42

03/05/2017 6:20 AM

Thanks to you and all the others. Thats a very high count to my mind of GAs....

The methods on the other web site, do seem to be effective though, so how about we put the ideas forward to Admin on CR4?

Though I have to admit, that the sheer bullying and intimidation I saw on the other site, happens rarely here on CR4, or am I completely wrong on that score? I don't look at all blogs, far from it....

What say you all?

In reply to #44

03/05/2017 10:22 AM

What I see here is people who get uppity get slapped around with hard cold factual information by multiple people that have legitimate knowledge and experience in whatever are it may be until they either learn what is wrong with their views or they leave.

Unfortunately in many other forums where the average members IQ is well under 100 the ability to learn and accept that what they think is not true tends to be far more limited. Especially if the lower than average IQ members make up the majority and feel that majority consensus out rules factual reality on something.

That was what I found myself up against in the two farming forums. Most members were okay people but when it came do not hard science and technical concepts group 'well, we always did or believed this way and it worked therefore its right' (even if it was technically bad practice, outrightly wrong, common misinformed opinion or worse) tended to rule.

A mindset and general applied intellectual process those with technical and or engineering backgrounds have a hard time reaching and working with. Especially so when they stat telling you that engineers and technicians and the like who were are the very people who design and built the very thing they hold so dear are stupid and wrong for knowing more about their machines and how they were built and work than they ever could begin to grasp themselves.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

03/05/2017 12:05 AM

Well put. Great advice on how to "control" a site! Another GA to you!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 58

03/04/2017 8:13 AM

This place may seem calmer, but I see you changed your avatar - that is certainly not a more calming picture.

03/04/2017 9:30 AM

So, lets get back to science and engineering issues and how we might benefit the world.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

03/05/2017 1:41 AM

party! party on the beach!

And partying even more and drunk on noon time.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

03/06/2017 8:01 AM

I think blogging is or can be similar to an addiction like gamers have... especially when it get emotional.

And when you don't know ones limitations, it can get nasty.

Like this recent gamer,... he left to take a smoke break, and never returned.

In reply to #49

03/07/2017 11:10 AM

Well, it appears gamers will sit for long periods of time. Probably live off of Hot Pockets, Ding Dongs, and Monster drinks.

No surprise to me that they may die at an early age.

Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 17

03/06/2017 8:30 AM

I have noticed a change in postings as well. There are a lot less of them that I would post a reply or even comment. Whether this is due to the absence of anyone, really cannot tell. But there have been other changes in the recent past as well, not just those not posting.

In reply to #50

03/07/2017 3:29 AM

Good observation! After you mentioned it, I gave it some thought and I'd have to agree.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

03/06/2017 12:26 PM

Things went downhill after Sparkstation went quiet...

Good Answers: 558

03/06/2017 9:37 PM

I believe the best policy is to never discuss politics or religion unless you are solely in the company of people you are in agreement with. You are likely to make more enemies than friends and are highly unlikely to change anyone's opinions.

Just my observations....

Guru

In reply to #59

03/06/2017 9:48 PM

It might not be a good policy but it damn fun (and at times rather educational) making some ignorant pompous half wit look like a damn fool by showing the world just how idiotic their belief system and views of a subject are.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #59

03/07/2017 3:36 AM

That's pretty sound advice. When I owned my retail store, someone gave me the same advice. I avoided those two topics, but somehow they'd sneak in at times. I think we feel strongly about both topics and as you state, it's highly unlikely that you'll change your oppositions views.

I know that what you say is true, yet I still fall victim to speaking about both. So, did you hear the latest about how Obama was ...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #59

03/07/2017 11:41 AM

Best to be in the company of only one person at a time?

Guru

03/07/2017 11:56 AM

Like all things in life, knowing the right thing to do and actually doing it, can be two different things:-

What is the right thing to do?

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #67

03/07/2017 4:40 PM

Great link! GA.

03/07/2017 9:58 PM

speaking of checking in on each other.

last night I had concern for one of my neighbors who dog was barking to be let it for way too long. I tossed a dog biscuit into the yard and went to fetch a bowl of water to place inside the fence. I guessed the dog was overlooked by the owner on a trip out. I went to ring the bell and see if anyone was around that somehow didn't know the dog was out and barking in distress.

When i went up the steps I got a bit of a start. Through the large window i saw someone slumped against the far wall. ..Fortunately it was just a painting of someone sleeping that was leaning against the wall. by the time I made around to the back i guess the owner came home and went in. all was well.

In reply to #70

03/08/2017 7:16 AM

that good, and good of you to do that...

Through the large window i saw someone slumped against the far wall. ..Fortunately it was just a painting

nothing like one your home alone and you walk in a dark and empty room at night with the lights out, and you see someone staring at you,... only to flip on the lights and its a coat rack.

In reply to #71

03/15/2017 10:12 AM

One has to look out for those sneaky coat racks! They can jump up and assault people.

In reply to #80

03/15/2017 10:16 AM

it'll be close,... but I think I can take him with one paw tied behind my back...

Put em up....

In reply to #81

03/15/2017 10:28 AM

LOL - at my house there are lurking garden rakes for the fool that trespasses. Who needs a Benelli shotgun (riot style), when there be rakes lurking? For the butt-hurt snowflakes, perhaps I should put up a rake warning sign.

In reply to #70

03/15/2017 6:34 AM

Good neighbors are hard to find. Great to hear you look out for your neighbors!

Register to Reply
Guru

03/15/2017 7:44 AM

Can't say,... maybe he signed a pact with Putin and invaded Poland.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (7); Andy Germany (8); Anonymous Poster (1); Autobroker (8); dkwarner (2); Dr. Harry (1); gutmonarch (1); James Stewart (4); JE in Chicago (4); jhowdy (1); JPool (10); Kevin LaPaire (1); Mikerho (1); phoenix911 (7); Phys (1); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1); ronc (3); SolarEagle (1); suresh sharma (2); tcmtech (11); Tom_Consulting (1); tonyhemet (1); Tornado (4)

Previous in Forum: What Is It? Where Is It?   Next in Forum: Circuitry for Peltier Condenser

Advertisement